Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2010?

Blog Entries
    What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Please share some of your recipes that you will be planning on making with us!

Hubby and I will be staying home.

Same here, he probably won't get in 'til Saturday, tho. Told him "it's ok, can cook turkey any day." Gotta love our truck drivers.

I have 14 for dinner. Mom, Sister and her family, my daughter and her family.

My family takes turns having Thanksgiving at their house each year. This year it will be at my brother's house. My Mom makes the turkey and the rest of us make all the side dishes and desserts. Usually 15-20 of us. Can't wait. My favorite holiday......I have to travel 4 hours to get there, but well worth it! When I have it at my house, they all have to travel 4 hours and some have to stay in motels. We have a blast!!!!

We usually go to my Mom and Dad's and my sister, BIL and nephew go too. This year I'm not so sure. My sister and I had a falling out a few months back involving our 2 kids that were sharing an apartment at college. Long story short, they no longer share the apartment and Sis and I haven't spoken since April. We'll probably go to Mom's as usual but we probably won't stay nearly as long as we usually do. They are family so we need to make amends but it's tough.

We will invite our neighbors over I hope Her husband has been working in CA because he could not find work up here. They are my favorite neighbors we have been blessed. They came one year before and it was a fun time for all. I usually cook and with my back I am going to give up my control to my girls. One year I made a 30+ pound turkey and did not ask for help the kids thought I was giving birth from the noises I made pulling that thing out of the oven!!

For sure we'll be having Cranberry Nut Pie, Baked Artichoke Squares, and homemade cranberry sauce, along with probably a ham, which my dh prefers while I prefer turkey.

oooo, those first two things sound fabulous!

I usually have a small one the weekend before for all my kids, because DD is going to be with BFs family this year. He has been in the military 5 years, so this is his first Thanksgiving home in 5 years, he SHOULD be with his family!
    Then wego to my Moms on the real Thanksgiving. Cant wait!

Still going to Mom and Dad's, but they are in their 80's. Family is very large now that most of their grandkids are married and have children. We all bring several dishes and hope that the weather is mild so we can use the porch for seating. Some try to go to their in-laws too, so the crowd changes as the afternoon progresses. My sister and her daughters like to coook so they are always trying out new recipes that they find in magazines.

We will drive to Boise, Idaho to spend a few days with our son (who is in college there) and my oldest brother & his wife. I cook and my Sister in Law cleans up - works for me!!!

Blog Entries
    We go to my DB in MN and he does all the cooking and is an awesome cook. We do yard projects, etc. to "work for our meal" :-) and we all stay 4 days. Great fun and lots of people, games.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    We go to my DB in MN and he does all the cooking and is an awesome cook. We do yard projects, etc. to "work for our meal" :-) and we all stay 4 days. Great fun and lots of people, games.
    That sounds like fun. Do you do yardwork after the meal to "work off your meal" LOL

Blog Entries
    Goodness, tha'ts our 30th anniversary. stay home by ourselves is what we usually do!!

Well this is our first Thanksgiving with just us three. No family lives close by they are all in AZ. Hopefully we can start our own traditions based on both our families.
    I'm scared to tackle the turkey as my part in Thanksgiving dinner was, everything else but. LOL at least if the turkey comes out bad we can fill up on stuffing and potatoes with gravy, rolls, oh yeah I'm gonna need cans and cans of cranberry sauce! My husband and son just suck that down!

With all that am i going to lose weight this month?! Maybe Hubby will take me to the mall on black friday and i can work it off. When I shop I look at prices but dont buy. Irk's my hubby to death.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    MMMMMMM that Cranberry Nut Pie sure sounds good. Will you share the recipe? TIA

I am eating. After making T-Dinner for more years than I would like to tell you, I only bake two or three pies and my daughter and her family come over and make the whole dinner. We have stopped making salads since nobody ate them. (more room for pie)

I'll have a houseful, my daughters and spouses, 4 grandkids, my mom, sis, brother & wife and a couple of people who aren't related, but would otherwise be alone. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, garden vegetable casserole, corn pudding, coleslaw, rolls, and of course, a few different kinds of pie. I'm very blessed!

Blog Entries
    I do Thanksgiving every year. From 1st married year when father-in-law (former chef) showed me how to make gravy. He introduced me to "Gravy Master" - use it ever since and think of that kind, sweet man. Over the years we have had all members of family, (numbers up to 10) Had some years where loved ones were not longer living. Enjoyed when child and nephew were little children. A couple of years ago, had to celebrate (?) without my son-in-law as my daughter went through a divorce. Even though I love having Thanksgiving my favorite year was when it started to snow and I kept getting phone calls that "sorry" afraid to venture out! We three (father, daughter and myself) went for a nice walk through the woods enjoying the storm.

We'll be home doing the traditional thing turkey etc. and most from scratch as I am allergic too everything premade.(pepper/spices allergy and too many more)It should be a crew of about 17 or so as my son's fiancee and her mother is also coming and and the guy my DD 20 is courting. He is from out of state but goes to seminary here.Kind of dreading it but it will be all ok. They have the church service the same day and that is what does me over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by jojosnana
    I am eating. After making T-Dinner for more years than I would like to tell you, I only bake two or three pies and my daughter and her family come over and make the whole dinner. We have stopped making salads since nobody ate them. (more room for pie)
    Haha the salads makes me laugh! my mom just does a veggie and chip platter for us to snack on while dinner is cooking and 'The Game' is on. Theres always room for pie in my family. My favorite is Chocolate cream pie :)mmmmmm

every holiday, bday, get-together,etc everyone expects two dishes from me - extremely EZ!! and when you taste them, they will become your regulars... [both from Marlene Sorosky]

appetizer - sausage puffs -
    basics:
    puff pastry [I use pepperidge farm - each sheet makes 2rolls, uses 1#sausage and makes close to 3doz]
    bulk sausage [I use reg Jimmy Dean]
    1 egg - slightly whipped with a little tiny bit of water [~1/4tsp]
    country dijon mustard [or other]
    oven @375; greased rimmed baking sheet
    recipe:
    1. on floured board or pastry sheet, roll out one pastry sheet with seams [from folds] going out in front of you vertically. divide vertically in half.
    2. spread strip of mustard down middle of each section
    3. cut metal ends off sausage roll and slice down through covering and sausage lengthwise. Pull out one section and squeeze to fit completely over strip of mustard.
    4. brush a small amt of the egg wash on one side of the pastry and roll the sausage in pastry starting from other side so that you form a seal with the seam and egg wash on the bottom.
    5. brush egg wash over top of roll. slice into 3/4" slices and place on greased rimmed!! baking sheet.
    BAKE 375 for 20-25min. ----you can prepare ahead - I freeze them for up to 2months [if they are not gone]

SIDE DISH - ruby poached pears YUM!!
    strawberry jello 6oz - preferrably wild strawberry
    1-1 1/2c port
    water; 3 cinnamon sticks; 1 tsp whole cloves
    pears - d'Anjou or Bartlett are best [1 pear for 2-3 persons]

1. peel, core, and slice pears into 6-8 sections; place in covered casserole
    2. dissolve jello in a cup or so of boiling water, add 1c port
    3. add cinn sticks, cloves, and jello/port to pears
    4. add enough water and or port to cover

bake @350 til pears are soft and rosy

*can be refridgerated for a month; can cook on stove if oven is full; can substitute grape juice for port [alcohol does dissappear, but some wont use it anyway]

NOW I'm hungry!!

Thanksgiving is always just 4 people here. Me, DH, DSON, and DMIL. We do a traditional Thanksgiving split down the middle between DMIL and I.

The only change this year is... I promised my son while he was in the hospital that we would have mac and cheese on Thanksgiving. LOL he is so cute, he was hungry that day I guess. So I will be adding a side dish of mac and cheese.

We always try our hardest to have a stress-free day, play games while the turkey is cooking.