Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the BEST gift you ever got? >

What's the BEST gift you ever got?

What's the BEST gift you ever got?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM

We have a thread of people laughing about the worst gifts they ever got so I'd like to know what's the best gift you ever got.

5th birthday: Mom hadn't been feeling well for several weeks building up to my birthday and a few days before my big day she had to go to the hospital. She got to come home on my birthday and brought me the best present ever---a new baby brother.

17 years old and had to have my tonsils out. My friend that I also dated once in awhile brought me a book (he knew I liked to read) and a box of red jello--not jello, but a box of Jello. He said his mom wasn't home, he didn't know how to make it but it was something that I could have even with a sore throat and he figured my own mom would know how to make it.

DH gets me a gift certificate of at least $100 each year to the fabric store of my choice.

But best of all are the handmade card, ornaments and gifts that DD has provided throughout the years.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

This is hard! I have 3 sons and treasure every single thing they've ever made or bought me, and that includes the paper airplanes with "I'm sorry Mom" written inside. They used to shoot them down the stairs when they were banished to their rooms for being fresh! Wait until they unearth them someday!! lol

Okay, the best present I ever ever got was when I was 6 years old our neighbor gave me a doll. I came home from school and my Mom said that my neighbor had a surprise for me. She was the most beautiful doll (to me) I ever had and was my favorite the rest of my childhood. She was big enough to put baby clothes on and I still have her. Her name is Annie. I will never forget that surprise and our neighbor's kindness. It wasn't my birthday which made it all the more special. I will never forget those wonderful people. :)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM

My grandaughter who was born December 7th, eleven years ago. No material thing could ever give me the same feeling of joy!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

The quilts my Mom made for me are my most treasured gifts.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM

One year my holiday joy was diminished by major car trouble and the fact that I knew the car wasn't worth fixing and there was no way I could afford to buy another one. When I traveled to another state to visit my family, my sister just "happened" to decide to buy a new car for herself and give me her old one which was in great condition and paid for. I know it was a big sacrifice to her to start making car payments again. That sacrifice was even more of a gift than the car.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM

This is indeed hard. So many Christmas to look back on. One Christmas we spent in the ER with my son. He had broken out in a rash after having an ear infection. I took him back to the Doctor's on Christmas Eve morning to avoid ruining Christmas Day. He told me to stop the amoxicillin. (Which I had before seeing the doctor.) He said he would be fine. Well Christmas Day he got progressively worse. His rash became huge hives, his joints, lips and tounge swelled. He couldn't even walk. We spent a few hours in the ER that night. It turned out he had serum sickness. He was given Benadryl and Ibruprophen. It took over a month for it to clear his system. Needless to say he can never have amoxicillin or penicillin again. I was just so happy to get him home that night. That was the best present.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:52 AM

My Mom crocheted a 3' x 3' "Lord's Prayer". My Dad built the frame out of barn wood from my grandparents homestead. They gave it to me for Christmas in 1982. Even my husband has said that if we ever had a fire, that would be the first "thing" we would try to save! My Dad died in 1987 & my Mom died in 1999, so it is extra special now!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Reading is my biggest passion (yes, even over quilting) and my DH bought me a Kindle DX for Christmas last year. I've used it everyday since!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I recieved my youngest son in my arms Christmas Eve.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM

I've had so many "best", it ids hard to decide. But my favorite Xmas was the year my mom came to have Xmas with us. Since I was the only one away from home, she felt she should stay there and be with all of them, plkus she hated leaving home during the winter months because of freezing pipes etc. Going to church Xmas eve , our children were in the choir, and just having Mom with me made that Xmas wonderful. And she stayed for 6 weeks!!!!