Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When do you give up on your vegetable garden?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Is there a point in the growing season when you basically give up on your vegetable garden?

I've about hit that point. The cabbage is diseased, the weeds are taking over, the broccoli's shot, the beans got rusty, and the squash vine borers have found my squash (plus powdery mildew is setting in).

In theory, we're about six weeks from the first frost. Not enough time for another crop of anything except maybe lettuce or turnips.

I'm about ready to start yanking up everything that's not performing.

On the upside: the tomatoes are coming in, the onions are ready to pull, the peppers are doing well, and the second crop of raspberries is starting to ripen.

I have one eggplant coming, too; this is my first attempt at eggplant. (Do you think six weeks more is long enough to get it to grow full-size?)

Blog Entries
    Nope don't give up until all is in the cans or freezer.Sorry about your garden Sweetie

I gave up when the deer ate all the beans, peppers, and cabbages!

I gave up when the tiller got out of hand (my hubby's) and ran through the garden.

It sounds like some of it is done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I gave up when the deer ate all the beans, peppers, and cabbages!
    we didn't have one this year, got so tired of fighting the deer...have 3 tomato plants in a wire fence. :thumbup:

I, too, don't have a garden. Some potatoes tossed out in the compost are producing though!!! Go figure...if I'd planted them the frost or deer would've gotten them!!!! LOL We're putting in a greenhouse next summer and will do hydroponics.....we'll see how well THAT works!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    This year has been a disaster for us! Way too hot. We've been buying from local farmers, which I love to do anyway.

Blog Entries
    I called it quits when the garden became more of a pain than an enjoyment LOL

Blog Entries
    But don't pull up let it stay there ... the best way to fertilize for next year :thumbup:

I have found the best garden to have is your neighbors. He does all the work and his wife brings me the vegies! I've given up on having my own, it's so much work, and periods of bad weather can just ruin it all in a short time.

Can also plant some peas right now..they grow fast

Sounds like it time to yank up whats bad - or turn under. Bummer. At least you can make some salsa with what's left.

Blog Entries
    I *did* make some salsa today! Tomato-onion-pepper-overgrown-summer-squash, added 1/2 can black beans and a leftover ear of corn. It was yummy and I'm sure it was healthy too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I called it quits when the garden became more of a pain than an enjoyment LOL
    What was the turning point? (I need to learn a lesson here...)

It has not been a good garden year anywhere. I would pull up the diseased plants and dispose of them. Six weeks should be enough time for the egg plant I would think. You can protect it from the first frost if needed. The salsa sounds great.

I've pulled maybe three weeds this year. Square Foot Gardening is the answer. DH and I made raised beds so not as hard on my back. Mixed my own soil. We started late, but we have tomaters, squash, cukes, and peppers.
    There is still time to plant some things. Just be sure and check with your local Extension office.
    When you pull the weeds, discard in the trash not the compost pile.
    We gave up on the tiller because we alway's ended up with more work than necessary and more weeds. We found we did not need all that with SFG.

My flower beds are a whole 'nuther story.

Blog Entries
    Yank up what's diseased or dieing - It'll look so much better you may want to try something else in a few weeks that likes cool weather.

I'm ready to give up on mine - it's SOOOO HOTTTTT and the bugs are ready to take me away when I step out the door!

i gave up when we ran around so much, the weeds took over lol tomatoes are doing good tho and we do fins a stray squash and cucumber now and then or a zucchini the size of a watermelon lol

You are not alone! I have the same problems with the same veggies as you are having now. The beets are still ok, the tomatos are getting some kind of funk on them tho. I only have 1 head of cabbage left, the green peppers are ok, as well as the onions, green beans (which I froze today, along with 7 bags of zuch. and I just finished 11 jars of garlic dill pickles,phew! I have to go n buy corn, since that has a funk on it too. On the up side, the grapes are doing well, more jam to make next month!

I gave up on a garden. If it does grow the deer eat it.

Sounds like some of your crops are ready to till under. I don't plant nearly as much anymore (family is grown) but still have tomato plants and cucumbers. Neighbor furnishes zucchini and get sweet corn at farmers market. Will can pears later as our tree must have 20 bushel on it this year. all the neighbors will love me. grin

When the sight of it brought tears to my eyes. I lost everything to the heat, disease,critters and bugs. Never had a season like this one. Did manage to put some up before the catastrophe, though.

There's always the Fall garden and next year to look forward to.

Blog Entries
    Mine is in full bloom with veggies but it's in square foot boxes, 4'x4' on the ground in the dogs enclosed yard so no problems with the deer this year, yet anyway. Because of the size, should they predict an early frost, I can just throw an old sheet over each box to cover them for the night.

It is so hot here in Texas that everything is burning up and the grasshoppers have eaten everything, but I still water the plants and now I am getting new tomatoes coming on my plants. Peppers too. Gave up on all the rest. Maybe some will survive for fall. Never Give Up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast