Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
when the dust is flying it's time to clean! >

when the dust is flying it's time to clean!

when the dust is flying it's time to clean!

Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 AM

Default when the dust is flying it's time to clean!

Since I'm one of those quilters who always has 3-5 projects going at any one time, I'm not one of those quilters who, after each finish, cleans their sewing room! Yesterday I spent the afternoon working in my sewing room and despite the cool temps, I did have on the ceiling fan. When I was shutting the door to go downstairs for dinner, it looked like a dust cloud in there! And then my DH asked if I had a sore throat cause I was rather hoarse. So this morning after church I came home and dusted and moped the floors. Wow--I'm embarrassed! The blades of the ceiling fan were filthy and the dust bunnies were breeding!

So my question--those of you that work like I do with several projects in progress, what kind of cleaning schedule do you keep and how do you do it with stuff spread out?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I have one of the plastic rolling bins with 3 drawers from Walmart. I keep my projects that I am working on in the drawers with all the fabric, pattern and threads etc. I keep the one I am currently working on on my sewing table. Once the one on my table is done, I clean my table and machine and get out the next one from the drawers.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:20 PM

I'm not familiar with that word!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:22 PM

beside household dust, if you don't prewash your fabric you are also drawing in a lot of chemicals. I used to part out quilters estates on ebay, and I learned early on the profit on stashes wasn't worth the breathing problems working with the fabric gave me.

You might also consider having a duct cleaner service in. This house had never had it done until 2 years ago, and it did help a lot. Then we turned around and put in a new bathroom. Still dealing with sheetrock dust
Old 04-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I pulled out all of my scraps and started cutting them into strips. I have been sewing the strips together and cutting into 8" squares. I will then sew them into quilts for kids being removed from their homes. I am giving the rest of my scraps to my Daughter who loves working with them.

When all of that is done and gone I will vaccum and clean up my sewing room. I use to clean after each quilt. I will start doing that again.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:38 AM

Cleaning???
Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 AM

I have to admit I'm not much for cleaning. LOL
Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 AM

I thought cleaning was something you did ONLY when company was coming!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:58 AM

After every major project is finished I'll pull out the vacumn and get the floors cleaned up as I tend to throw my tails and snippets on the floor. I really do try to hit the trash bin but they rarely ever make it. Lousy aim I guess. I keep each project I'm working on at a different corner of the cutting table which is 4 x 8 so I don't get them mixed up or cut into their fabrics. If its a long drawn out project I tend to keep them in a plastic bin so keep them tidy.

As to dusting which I hate the most, I'll pull out the swiffer dust thingie and give it a whirl as I hate dust more and I'm in the basement so it gets dustier down here it seems.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I'm not familiar with that word!
Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
Cleaning???
Same here. Although I did do a bit of organizing this weekend. I've decided to tackle it in bits and pieces since doing it all at once would be too overwhelming for me physically.