Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: When is a quilt not a quilt?

When is a quilt not a quilt?

Here is what our local quilt shop is teaching! I just loved learning the process. This is made with quilt fabric, then sprayed with water proofing spray.
    Attached Images Attached Images

definitely nothing quilted about that, but I love it. Nice job! What a wonderful bit of knowledge ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Power Poster
    ​Very cute!

There was a PBS show about what really is a quilt on over a year ago. Some guy was cutting aluminum cans into quilt shapes and thought his project should be allowed to be entered into this major quilt show. My opinion is a quilt has to be pieced with fabric have batting and a backing.

Cute umbrella, sounds like it would be fun class to take. Over a month ago, I saw someone had dumped their torn outside umbrella into the dumpster but I had no idea how to sew a replacement for it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

It was suggested that quilt blocks could be sewn on each section before sewing the sections together, but I feel the less holes the better and I also think that might hinder the stretch required. That is why the oilcloth- like fabrics wouldn't work either. Putting this together takes quite a learning curve, but our instructor, the manager of the Milwaukee store (there's also one in Ripon), was beyond patient! I'm ready to do another to retain the steps and because I really think it's cool.

I think that umbrella looks like fun! I also agree that a "quilt" should be made out of fabric, but I'm not the quilt police. I attended a lecture some years ago where the "quilts" were made from old linens (great), old clothing (great), doll parts (don't like it!), old paper (don't really like it). These creations were not layered and quilted (no!). But that's just my opinion!!
    Lori

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    .....Some guy was cutting aluminum cans into quilt shapes and thought his project should be allowed to be entered into this major quilt show.
    By his standards, then, a mosaic would be a quilt. Or, interlocking paving stones would be a quilt. Or, geometric wall paper would be a quilt. Or drink cans sealed in plastic wrap would be a quilt. Ridiculous.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

When it's alive? :O
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
    Here is what our local quilt shop is teaching! I just loved learning the process. This is made with quilt fabric, then sprayed with water proofing spray.
    Could you share the name of the pattern/book/instructions you are using for this and where they can be purchased?

Thank you,
    Debbie

Debbie, the owner of the shop has her own pattern and she sells the frames. I googled out of curiosity to see if there were other patterns and frames out there and there are online, but they are more expensive. The shops (there is one in Ripon, Wi and one in Milwaukee) both have the same name...Bungalow Quilting and Yarn and their website is the same, bungalowquiltingandyarn.com.

What a neAt project!

Blog Entries
    Really cool! I can't even imagine sewing it!

That is a really cool idea!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    That is a really cool idea!
    I agree! Definitely different.

I was shocked at a quilt show once when the "quilt" was zippers sewn together. I felt that was not really a quilt, ImHo