Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When the Signal Light Turns Yellow - -

Power Poster

When the Signal Light Turns Yellow - -

What do you do?

If I'm almost in the intersection and I think I might rear-ended, I continue on through.

Anyone else remember this?

Red means Stop
    Green means Go
    Yellow means Go a Little Faster

When the light turns yellow, I stop if it is safe to do so. If I am too near the interesection to stop safely, then I go through on the yellow.
    My nephew is definitely one of the ones who believes that yellow means speed up and race the red light.
    Always be kind.

It depends on how far I am from the light and how fast I am going at the moment And yes I remember yellow means go faster.

DH, barrels through, even speeds up if necessary, me on the other-hand, I run yellows, too, but not as aggressively as DH does.

Blog Entries
    Remember everyone else is trying to beat the light.

I once witnessed a motorcycle guy broadside a fire truck. I was called in to testify twice. I was sitting behind somone else and the light was green, but that guy heard the fire trucks coming and stopped. I did not hear them until they were so close I could not have stopped. They are supposed to have some device to change the light for them. And the driver of the first fire truck (two huge ladder trucks, one right behind the other) thought they had a green light. I saw the motorcycle guy coming toward me on the other side of a two story brick building. He never would have heard them. I looked up at the light and it turned yellow. I looked at the motorcycle and he gunned it trying to make it through the light. His helmet hit right behind the gas cap. I watched as his cycle spun out of control on its side and went to the opposite corner of the intersection. He was knocked off the cycle and ended up sitting in the middle of the street where luckily no one ran over him. He broke one leg.

After that happened I could not remember if lights turned red, green or yellow and in what order. I could just remember that the guy gunned it when he saw the yellow. The fire they were going to was in a storage unit and the whole thing burned to the ground in Chico, Caifornia in the 1970's. It was set by some disgruntled husband after his wife moved out and put all her stuff in this storage unit.

Like others, it depends on how far away and how fast I'm traveling as to whether I stop or go. One thing I almost always do if I am the first person in line stopped at a traffic light...when it turns green and it's my turn to go, I always check to make sure the traffic getting the red light is actually stopping! Particularly on the one local major road that I cross on a daily basis. It's a major truck route in the area. Those big boys just can not stop the way cars do and lots of folks forget that...sadly. Seen and heard too many horror stories of bad things happening in those situations.

Blog Entries
    Even at 25mph you can slide on ice and wet roads so, if one of these is the condition I'm faced with, I would proceed on through the intersecton rather than risk spinning by slamming on the brake. Under normal conditions, however, I usuually slow and stop. Normally again I always try to leave early if keeping an appointment so I never feel like I have to race through a yellow.

Here most people see to think that yellow means speed up and keep going and if it turns red go faster. It never ceases to amaze me when I go thru on yellow and it turns red before I get across and I'm thinking "Dang! I should have stopped". Then I look in the mirror and 2 more people went thru behind me
    Patrice S

Power Poster
    I stop for yellow lights unless the road is slippery. In fact I watch the little walking symbols as I approach a corner and if they say don't walk, I slow down because the light is going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Here most people see to think that yellow means speed up and keep going and if it turns red go faster. It never ceases to amaze me when I go thru on yellow and it turns red before I get across and I'm thinking "Dang! I should have stopped". Then I look in the mirror and 2 more people went thru behind me
    When we moved to the Houston area twelve years ago, one of the first "rules" of driving down here was that speed limits are suggestions and traffic signals are optional. This seems particularly relevant when the light turns yellow.
    Sometimes I try to act "normal," but it gets boring so I just go back to being myself.

When I come into a town or city, I turn off the radio or any other noise so that I can hear any emergency vehicles that may come and I consider the yellow light a warning light. Be cautious how you proceed. Be safe.

Armored you see up to three cars speed on through! I am nervous to even stop!

Whenever I approach a light, I decide at what point I'll stop if it turns yellow. But, like you, I won't slam on the brakes if someone is close behind me. I actually got a ticket once for speeding up for a yellow light. I still speed up though if needed.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I will stop if I can and if no one is close behind me.
    When stopped at a red and it turns green, I wait to make sure everyone whose light has just turned red is stopped before I go. Drives my husband nuts, but too many run the lights here.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, i go through and then look in my rear view mirror at all the others who definitely run the light!!!

I have done both in different situations.

I prefer to stop, as I always feel as though a policeman will see me.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
    When we moved to the Houston area twelve years ago, one of the first "rules" of driving down here was that speed limits are suggestions and traffic signals are optional. This seems particularly relevant when the light turns yellow.
    Oh, yes, speed limits are definitely suggestions! I got a new car and was told not to exceed 50 mph for the for 500 miles to break the engine in. I about got blown off the tollway driving 50!
    Patrice S

My husband recently got a warning ticket for going thru on yellow when it turned red before he got thru the intersection. The policeman said it was the same as running a red light. Thankfully he did not issue a ticket, but now we stop on yellow.

Blog Entries
    don't remember the yellow like you do,, but I do what you do at a yellow light. why chance taking it that you'll get rear ended. dame those yellow light cameras
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I was a bus driver and it happened every year the first day of school, a driver would go thru the yellow, and it would turn red on the back half of the bus and get a ticket for the rear of the bus. this never happened to me thank goodness, but it happened every year like clock work. it was almost a contest to see who would get the ticket.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    Whenever I approach a light, I decide at what point I'll stop if it turns yellow. But, like you, I won't slam on the brakes if someone is close behind me. I actually got a ticket once for speeding up for a yellow light. I still speed up though if needed.
    Interesting. I was taught that yellow meant to proceed with caution(not speed up). As others have said though, I've gone through yellow and had light turn red before I got to other side of intersection only to see several other cars follow me.
    Sally

In California the yellow light only means that a red light will soon appear. If you enter the intersection while the light is yellow, you are okay, even if the light turns red while you are in the intersection. This is our state law, but it's not the law everywhere. I stop for yellow if it is safe to do so - unless it's one of those intersections where I will have to sit for an extended period of time if I catch the red. Then I really, really try to get through the yellow, but only if I am 99% positive that I will make it into the intersection before the light turns red, and that I won't be blocking the intersection because of traffic being backed up in front of me.

Power Poster
    I have always understood that the yellow signal means that the Red stop light will be coming soon - and it is a warning to give one time to stop.

Blog Entries
    In central Texas, I have found that green means go, yellow means quick, three more, and red means one more if cross traffic isn't too heavy.

A friend just this weekend stopped at a yellow and the guy behind her cursed her out. At the next light, he actually put his car in park , got out in the middle of a main road and ran up to her car to shout at her! (He had passed her) She even took his picture with license plate through her windshield and put it up on Facebook. He went back to his car when she told him she was on the phone to the police. Quick thinking on her part.
    What are things coming to when missing a light brings this much rage on someone?
    Watson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast