Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When you hear the word "baby".... >

When you hear the word "baby"....

When you hear the word "baby"....

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 PM

I always thought "baby" was a Southern thing - finding out I'm wrong!

The sweetest little lady called me, "Baby" at a drive in window the other day. Made me smile - didn't mind at all.

Around here we use it to mean the same as "Honey, "Sweetie" - that sort of thing.

My husband's grandmother was from S. Texas (where we live now), but raised her family in OK. My MIL was so insulted when her mother called her "Baby" as a child. She took it to mean she was acting like a baby and was being corrected. When I called one of my kids "baby" when he was certainly too old for that to be true she cried. Decided she had it wrong all those years - that her mother had not been insulting her - just speaking Texan instead.

So .. people are babies around here. We have two pets that my husband treats as people, but to me people are babies, pets are pets.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 AM

A baby is a little person or animal, just born, or an endearment from or to someone close to you. It burns me up to be called baby by a stranger (I am in customer service.) Some ppl don't understand or realize that it is demeaning to call a stranger baby.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanTx
I always thought "baby" was a Southern thing - finding out I'm wrong!

The sweetest little lady called me, "Baby" at a drive in window the other day. Made me smile - didn't mind at all.

Around here we use it to mean the same as "Honey, "Sweetie" - that sort of thing.

My husband's grandmother was from S. Texas (where we live now), but raised her family in OK. My MIL was so insulted when her mother called her "Baby" as a child. She took it to mean she was acting like a baby and was being corrected. When I called one of my kids "baby" when he was certainly too old for that to be true she cried. Decided she had it wrong all those years - that her mother had not been insulting her - just speaking Texan instead.

So .. people are babies around here. We have two pets that my husband treats as people, but to me people are babies, pets are pets.
You just reminded me of something!! My Mom called us honey a lot and when I started school I used to call kids honey - well they didn't get it and said "Why are you calling me honey??" LOL
I still call the people I love honey and so does my Mom!!!And we're New Yorkers :)
Thanks for the memory!!! :D
Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 PM

Anything or living creature that I just luv, luv will be called baby. my Avatar is baby Lacy, my red Miata is baby red