Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where To Buy A Good Pillow?

We both have pillows that were 'fitted' to us by a chiropractor. I've never had a sore neck since and I take it with me whenever I travel. It's some kind of foam and it's shaped with a bit of a hollow where your head goes. It's quite hard but once you get used to it, very comfortable. I'm in Australia and it's a Denton's brand (I think mine is a Medirest...hubby's is a different style)...dont' know if you get them over there in the States.

Blog Entries
    I too am shopping for a mattress. I have fallen in love with a Tempurpedic. It will have to wait as it costs too much and I will have to save up. I also tried the tempurpedic pillow and loved it. There are several different styles. Not cheap $150 each. I talked the salesman iin to giving them to me with the mattress.

I have to weigh in on this discussion. The great pillow hunt is every bit as serious as the great iron hunt! I could have made a lot of quilts with the money I've wasted on pillows that didn't last, didn't work, etc. etc. A friend told me about latex foam (not memory foam) pillows and I found some in Big Lots for $13 each. My pillow problems are now over. I am a side sleeper and I first bought the medium density and that didn't work so I was fortunate that they had the light density also and it works perfectly. I've had mine for a couple years now. (I was buying pillows about every 6 mos.) The standard size latex foam typically costs around $50 but you can get them on sale when Kohl's and other places run the 1/2 off pillow sales. Walmart has them for $24, but site doesn't say what density they are. Anyway...here's a link. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Simmons-Be...i_sku=13283704

Blog Entries
    I've tried everything from feather to memory foam and nothing seemed comfortable. Then I found one at a yard sale filled with buckwheat hulls. It was covered with an ugly floral but I put it in a pretty cotton pillowcase and sleep like a baby. I like the way it molds around my head and it's so easy to flip when it gets hot. I have to sleep on a cool pillow.

I throw my feather pillows in the washer on gentle and wash them through a complete cycle, then I put them in the dryer with a couple of pair of old canvas tennis shoes. I have done this for over 30 years and do it about once every year or so. You do have to fluff the feathers as they dry. You can also hang them on the close-line, if you have one. Be sure that there are no little openings in the seams when you wash them.

I buy all my mattresses and pillows off the Internet at Bed in a Box. I know it sounds funny, and I was hesitant the first time but after trying it once I highly recommend it. Just go on line and take a look. Won't cost you a penny and you will be surprised at what you find.

I've been using a buckwheat hull pillow for many years. I have reverse curvature in my neck and this pillow has saved me.

I have Tempurpedic love it. Son got me new one an cant get use to it. I guess the old one is pretty flat, Just have to keep trying, maybe I will eventully sleep all nite with new one. they are very expensive,

We have temperpedic pillows. We bought them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. My husband's cost $99 and mine cost $79. We both love them.

I have down pillows that must be 50 years old that were my mom's....maybe older, because we also had down pillows as kids. I have never been able to be comfortable on any of the alternate-filled pillows. I have picked up some newer down pillows when I found one or two at Tuesday Morning but have not really "shopped" for them.

Blog Entries
    Last pillows I bought were from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are great!!! :-)

Blog Entries
    I thought I was the only one that had problems with pillows going flat. I finally got mad and stuffed my own, hasn't flattened yet, but sometimes I trade it for a softer one.

I only buy down/feather pillows because nothing else really adjusts and supports my head right. I used to always buy them at Daytons during their annual sale, but of course, they have been bought out by Macy's. Lots of people like those pillows. I also buy them at Herbergers. A pillow shouldn't squash down flat until many years of use. I usually replace pillows about every 10-15 years and then remake the pillow into something for the couch or a neck support for a family member.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't sleep one night and was watching an Infomercial for the Sobakawa pillow. Didn't buy one from the infomercial, but saw it in Target a few days later. Picked one up and LOVE it. Was $20.

Best money I spent hands down.

Blog Entries
    I make my own.
    Use fiberfill and
    if it flattens,
    just stuff in some more.

I also fluff mine in the dryer each week.
    J J

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    got my feather pillow at Macy's several yrs ago . . .bout 9 ys. love love love it. pd 80.00 for it back then. never regretted it

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried, or even heard, of the water filled pillows? You put in the amt. of water that best suits your body or head. Take out or put in to adjust to what fits you best. Don't know how readily they are available. Got mine from the chiropractor. Marge L.

We bought memory foam pillows about 8 years ago at Sam's for $40 each and love them. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find more.

JT
    You can buy a pillow, keep receipt and return if it doesn't work. At least that works at Younkers. I bought 2 $80 pillows on sale for $35 & $25. Loved one, and am keeping the other for an extra. They are Perfect Sleeper or something like that, kind of a temperapedic pillow. Worked for me.

Blog Entries
    I use a water pillow. It is the most comfortable pillow I have ever used. My daughter gave it to me for Christmas about 3 yers ago.

My last pillow I bought is a "firm" feather pillow...I really like it...I think it has a core that is surrounded by the feathers. I almost always buy our pillows at Kohls...when they are on sale...and especially when I have the extra 30% off coupon...I can get in so much trouble shopping when I get one of those! They almost pay you to shop when they are in addition giving you the $10.00 coupons for each $50 you spend...I always save more then I spend.

I buy the Sealy Posturepedic (firm) pillows from Penneys. They have gussets and support my head and neck really well. I can ususally find them on sale, sometimes for as little as $8 each and I stock up then. I replace my pillow frequently (as often as every month if needed). Had neck and shoulder issues for years and this seems to work at keeping the problem at bay.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the good shopping tips.Will be watching for a good sale.I like the Temperpedic pillows, but not the price!
    A local store used to have a buy one/get one deal & that's where I got mine.Not sure they have that sale anymore.

Blog Entries
    My mom would unsew the pillow remove the feathers put the feathers in a pillow case in the sun on a sunny day for most of the day. flip the pillow over a couple times during the day. Wash/dry and return the feathers for fresh pillow.
    This is well worth the effort for that favorite pillow you don't want to give up.

Banned
    buy a decent feather /down pillow ,I now find down does not give me the support I now need, but do make sure it is firm when new as it softens with use/washing, also it must have a good quality ticking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2