Where did this come from?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Wow, they send the kids home during the day? Our District does not do that, they feel it is safer for everyone to stay at school so our road crews can take of the ice/snow removal, and because for many of our little kids, there isn't any at home to watch them as parents cannot leave their jobs mid day.
They tried to get the kids home because no one was sure how much we were gonna get. We wound up with 6 1/2 inches. They closed school today because you can't get in and out of the parking lots. They couldn't pretreat the roads because we had 12 hours of rain and it would have wash it all away. The road crews didn't start until everyone was home. They made themselves available for accidents or for ppl stuck in the ditches. Some kids live way out in county and it 2pm before they get home. Many, many school buses were stuck in the snow. This amount of snow was totally unexpected. We are suppose to get more tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I'm still waiting here in upstate NY for a good snow. I am so jealous!

Irish, you're kidding right? I know you are near the capital district like me and we have been absolutely hammered here! Granted I live NE of Albany close to Vt. border but work in downtown and there is a LOT of snow at my house! Had another 1"+ at my house this morning but Albany just enough to be a nuisance and cause all kinds of accidents on the major roadways. I have to ask, what do you consider a "good snow" ?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM

i am soooooo glad that you got the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have had enough. it is unusual if we get more than a dusting.
we had a white Christmas that lay around forever and then we got about 4-6 inches a couple of weeks after Christmas, so that's enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Sorry girl. We never get much. My mom lives 50 miles north from me & got 6 inches last week. It is suppose to start again tonight, YUK. :-(
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Carrie, I'm glad you finally got the SNOW you've been waiting all winter for, but PLEASE keep it up there. I had enough snow to last MY lifetime when I lived in Indiana(especially after being stranded in the Blizzard of '78). If I never see any more snow(except in pics) that'll be fine with me.
Be safe while driving and stay warm!!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM

My DGS asked, "Grammie will it ever be warm again?"
Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 AM

We are getting it here today!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM

We woke to a light dusting this morning, now it's just the wind, wind chill, & cold. Glad the snow didn't amount to much. Schools are closed for the day, probably a good thing, what with the wind chill & all...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Well you were all lucky try no electricity for 2 days and no water for a week because everything froze. We have a well and we live in the southern part of TX, well last week we got the artic blast that lasted for 2 days and froze everything solid. When the sun finally came out it took 2 days to thaw everything out and find all the leaks. Don't you just !!xxzzz love winter.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ladydi64
Well you were all lucky try no electricity for 2 days and no water for a week because everything froze. We have a well and we live in the southern part of TX, well last week we got the artic blast that lasted for 2 days and froze everything solid. When the sun finally came out it took 2 days to thaw everything out and find all the leaks. Don't you just !!xxzzz love winter.
Our area got hit bad last winter. No power for 5 days, 4 nights. We have a well, the pump runs off electric, so no water either. Once the roads cleared, we went into DH's office, at the Forest Serv., & I even showered there one day. Took our dogs in there with us too. It was terrible, so I feel for what you have had to go through. Glad this winter has been kinder to our area, so far. Power company also did alot of equipment upgrades too, so power outages should be less & shorter now, if they happen at all, & so far, that has been the case...