Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where does it all come from? >

Where does it all come from?

Where does it all come from?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
I have an older Pfaff that was made in Germany.. And I think my Rowenta is from Germany as well ( i think) it was when they use to make them there the newer ones I believe are made in China now..
Pfaffs are made in Sweden now. Most of the notions we get are made in Japan and China. fabric made in India, Japan,Indonesia and China - shipped to America and then re-shipped from there to us.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 AM

my stuff (machines AND fabric ) is so old, oops I meant to say "vintage" - that it is probably all made in the US. Where were they making Kenmore machines in the 1960's?
Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 AM

My machine is from Sweden and the old Singer from America. Thread from Germany, sewing needles are mostly from England. I am not sure if any of the fabric mills are still in America but I have a ton of vintage fabric that is American. I have silks from China...this is truly an international hobby, huh?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 AM

Not much manufacturing of any kind is done here in the states anymore.....we have sold our soul.....now we depend on the rest of the world (a lot of what is called third-world countries) for our necessities as well as our desires.......it can be scary......but a lot of that has come from the demands of unions.....most companies move out of usa because labor costs here can be extreme and it effects the profit margin of the corporation........Now, I don't endorse child labor or pennies an hour salaries, but there must be a way to bring our pride back home........
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 AM

I really agree with GeriB. My hometown has lost several production facilities over the years mostly because of the greed of unions. Some moved out of the country, some to other states and some just went out of business. So sad.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Some time ago I started looking at where some of my products were made. At the moment, the only two I really remember is my Aurifil thread is from Italy (with cotton imported from Egypt), two of my machines were made in Sweden, and my needles come from Germany. There were a few other products I had looked up but I don't remember now.
Egyptian cotton isn't grown in Egypt. Egyptian is the name of a variety of cotton like Turkey Red is the name of a variety of winter wheat. The cotton was probably grown in Pakistan. That's why the massive floods there were so devastating to the cotton industry.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
I really agree with GeriB. My hometown has lost several production facilities over the years mostly because of the greed of unions. Some moved out of the country, some to other states and some just went out of business. So sad.
That would be corporate and shareholder greed not union greed.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
That would be corporate and shareholder greed not union greed.
ditto.I am sure that the unions want to get things again produced here in our own backyards.......wouldn't that be great?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 PM

PLEASE do not start with the politics and blame. I come here to escape that.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM

I LOVE an intelligent discussion considering the why and wherefores of problems. It is so refreshing to be able to discuss things with adults.