Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where to find long sleeve flannel shirts for women?

Where to find long sleeve flannel shirts for women?

Any sightings in regular stores? I'm not overly tall, only 5'8" but it's a royal pain finding flannel shirts where the sleeves are long enough. I usually resort to buying men's flannel shirts but they still don't fit right. I just tried googling but no luck, just takes me to men's flannel shirts.

Maybe I should just buy regular women's flannel shirts and insert about 2 1/2" to 3" of fabric in the middle of the sleeve. Maybe add pockets out of the same fabric. Unless someone knows of a real easy shirt pattern - and I mean real easy! LOL - I can mend but making clothes from scratch is hard for me.

Any ideas anyone?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My daughter has the exact same issue. No sleeves are long enough. At times, JC Penney has had tall women's items that fit her. Many time it is the men's department and then add princess seams to make it fit her.

Blog Entries
    I just buy mens shirts and alter sleeve length and make side seam into a curved seam.

L.L. Bean and Lands End both have flannel shirts for women.

Thanks Emmy Sue, but I need a long sleeve length. Lands End has one flannel shirt and it has 3/4 sleeve. LL Bean only had tall jeans/slacks but no tall in shirts.

Blog Entries
    I think they've quit making sizes sometimes. YOu can buy a pair of pants that fit tall, med, or small, but you have to cut them off.ha,ha. I hate that.

One of my daughters is 5' 8" and the other 5' 10" and they both wear LL Bean shirts with no problem.

piney

Kind of pricey but this page has one, scroll down, it is on the right.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/T...irts/index.cat
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Look at DuluthTrading.com. They have womens flannel shirts and they are sized slightly bigger and I think the size chart tells the exact measurements. I have ordered things from them and they are a good company to work with.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

dd
    I have gotten LL Bean and other good name shirts at Goodwill before and the sleeves are long. Besides they are already washed and you know they aren't going to shrink up on you any more. Check the pattern books in the easy section for a pattern. I making a really pretty purple and lavender plaid with a silver stripe for a woman now. Just make sure you wash and dry the flannel a couple times before you cut it so it's finished shrinking. Then if you buy cheap flannel, it will pill up quickly. don't forget you need to match the plaid in the flannel too. You can buy plain colored flannel and prints.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

if you have a Cabella's close---got me pretty one last year---they had quite a few

I understand I am only 5'5" but all the womens shirt sleeves are too short. I also find that most womans shirt are too short also. I want a shirt to hang to at least the top of my thighs not across the middle of my abdomen.. And sewing for myself is a pain also since gravity set in.

Try a Tractor Supply store or a local Southern States or other supply store for farmers/agriculture workers. My local stores sell Carhart and other brand name clothing that might work.

I'm 5'7'' and I found some last year that are long sleeved enough for me at Bass Pro Shop. I haven't looked yet this year. Good Luck.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

Good suggestions about the tractor supply store and Bass Pro Shop - have both near by. Told my DH I'm going shopping for flannel shirts and he wants to go with me. Maybe we will get matching shirts to go with our matching motorcycle jackets! We had a cool day the last time we rode and the cool air went right through the mesh on the jacket. I had on a very thin flannel shirt - women's, but, of course, the sleeves are about 3 inches too short on it.

Browsed through Wal-Mart yesterday through the mens flannel shirts - did not like any of them.

If I find any suitable, I will post where I found them.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
    I just buy mens shirts and alter sleeve length and make side seam into a curved seam.
    I do the same thing. I'm only 5' 3 --I don't think height has any thing to do with finding flannel shirts for women.I don't care where you shop.And on the very rare sighting of the elusive FS they show your belly button and cleavage or the fabric is pitifully thin and the selection of colors are pastels whether plain or printed and double the price of a mans shirt made in nice thick heavy duty flannel. And you have a much better selection to choose from. A mans small just fits me so I get a medium so I can taper it to fit my curves.Turn your flannel inside out then lay a blouse you like the fit of on top -trace the shape be sure to leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch so you can serge or do a double seam before cutting.-- Men's flannels are a necessity Women's flannels are considered a fashion..

Boy do I relate to this. I will be watching for answers. I am 5 foot 12 inches (my DH is 6 foot. . that way he is just a tad taller than I am) and have a 72 inch wingspan. Have you noticed the manufactures charge an extra $20 for an additonal 4 inches of fabric?? I have never been able to get shirts with long enough sleeves and mens shirt tails don't fit my BB. You would have thought by this time I would have gotten used to it,right??

If you don't make clothes, I don't think I'd start with a flannel shirt. Collars and collar bands are hard enough to work with in regular cotton, but the bulk of the flannel makes it a whole different challenge.

You can find ladies flannel shirts in the Haband catolog @ 110 Bauer Drive, Oakland, NJ 07436 or call for the catolog @ 1.800.742.2263 .
    They now have in the catolog I got yesterday, Flannel Shirts on the back cover and reaL cute ones one page 10, in a floral print, but they have snap-front
    insted of buttons.

Blog Entries
    Catalogs.
    I get mine at bobs
    I dont need to shorten sleeves, it just keeps on shrinking

Thanks everyone! I bought one shirt from Bass Pro Shop. Glad I tried it on - had to buy one size larger than I normally do. Took it home and washed/dried it. Wore it today and it fits perfectly. The sleeves are long enough!
    I plan on going back and buying a couple more in different colors. That should do me for the winter.
    Here's the link to the one I bought: http://www.basspro.com/Natural-Refle...2062604371021/

Blog Entries
    I love wearing flannel shirts in the cold day's of winter.I buy the mens flannel shirts..Connie in CO