Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you when...9/11 memories >

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM

I was on my way to work listening to the radio when the morning crew started talking about a plane hitting the WTC. They had a TV in the station and were live when they saw the 2nd plane hit. You could hear the raw emotion in their voices and the horror as they realized that the first one wasn't an accident and we were just attacked. I drove as fast as I could to work to see the scene on TV for myself.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM

I was at work, and my boss had come in late that day. He told us he'd seen the second plane hit (on TV) while he was brushing his teeth.

It was a horrible day. Friends and coworkers were in grave danger that day; some in the air, others working near the pentagon, and others in NYC. One of my clients had friends and family in the towers, and I stayed online to hold her hand as best I could while the phones were out and she couldn't leave her office in Manhattan. I'll never forget her email: "I think my friends are dead." (She was right.) My husband was working at a school a mile or so from Camp David; a lot of his students had parents who worked in the Secret Service, at the Pentagon, at Camp David or Site R. When news agencies (falsely) reported a strike at Camp David I was terrified for his safety. My BIL's mother was in NYC, only blocks from the towers; I was scared for her, too.

Just an awful day. I and mine were incredibly lucky. I feel so much for the victims that day, both living and those who died.

Peace to all today.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM

I was about to walk out the door to pick my MIL up for a doctor's appointment when the news broke. I sat down on the couch, called MIL and told her we had to cancel, and called the doctor's office to cancel. They could not believe why when I told them I just couldn't drive anywhere. That was the first plane that hit but something in me immediately knew it wasn't an accident. I stayed glued to the set in horror and crying. It is so hard to believe it has been ten years because it seems like yesterday.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM

I had just taken my dh to Ellis Fischel cancer hospital in Columbia, Mo for his first chemo treatment for stage 4 lung cancer. We walked into the hospital and all tvs' were showing the hit on the tower. It was devastating. Everyone was standing around watching it in horror. Terrible day all around. Will never forget it.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM

I was at work. Our supervisor was off that day and called to tell us that a plane flew into the WTC. While she was talking to me she said another plane flew in the other tower. At that time I worked in Lincoln tower on the OSU campus. Batelle was not far from us. As the story was unfolding and the Pentagon was hit there was speculation about if Batelle would be a target because of government contracts. Someone also was specutlating about if buildings on campus might be targets.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 PM

I was in the computer lab waiting for my next class of high schoolers to come in when the principal came rushing in to tell me to turn on the tv. He said, " America is under attack, they crashed a plane into one of the twin towers!" It took me a moment to realize exactly what he had just told me. I think I was so stunned that it took me several minutes to comprehend what was happening. I kept thinking "Who is they and why are they doing it?" My next thoughts were America is safe, no one attacks here. It must be a mistake. I was devastated to see that I was so wrong. I felt the same way as a high schooler sitting in English when President Kennedy was assassinated. It is terrible and very scary to realize that there are people in this world who would do such things to people they don't even know. God Bless America and all of the wonderful people who join together to protect our country.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Was at work, no tv so a bunch of us sat in my van, which had one. Not much work got done. It is amazing how America pulled together. I dont know of anyone that was not touched during that time. The next days were so surreel (sp). It seemed so odd to look in the sky and know there were absolutely no planes up there! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND AMERICANS.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:37 PM

In Canada, all the programs went off the air and they linked to CNN and I had just gotten up and saw the second plane hit. It is something I will never forget.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 PM

i had just got out of emergency surgery i was waking up and they had the tv on............i told them to change the chanel as that movie was scaring me...... then they told me it was live tv................
Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 PM

I was at home with my daughters. My husband called me from work and told me to turn on the tv. I was watching when the second plane hit. I was glued to the tv for days after that. I asked my youngest about that day and she said that she doesn't really remember it. I am glad that my obsession with the media didn't traumatize her. For the past week, I have had such a sense of foreboding about tomorrow. I pray that nothing happens.