Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where is your clutter hot spot? >

Where is your clutter hot spot?

Where is your clutter hot spot?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Same! I couldn't stand it one.more.day! So today was the day. Decided I don't even want my large Cuisinart coffee pot any more because it takes up so much space, has many parts to operate/fill/clean for the little bit of coffee I consume. Then there's the mail. Oy vey, the mail. Coupons, bill, flyers, junkjunkjunk. I try to pitch the crap as soon as it comes in, but my lazy streak kicks in. Then there are twist-ties which my guys leave on the counter instead of throwing in the trash when the bread is gone. (Why??) And rubber bands which belong in the drawer, a mere 3 inches from the top of counter. Ahem. And dirty dishes in the sink when the dishwasher is empty. Does not make one scintilla of sense. I got so fed up last night that I dubbed this Kitchen Day. If I did nothing else, I would get those dang counters clean, the fridge cleaned out, the floor swept and mopped. I took before photos in case I needed to see progress.

I'm happy to report that the counters are 90% clear now, the old science project food is now in the garbage instead of in the fridge, the floor has no more clumps of dog hair/loose change/post-it notes/onion peels/receipts from 1985 on it, and it is shining hardwood once again.
Thanks, Zozee! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles to keep the kitchen clean! You have inspired me to clean mine today!
Old 01-23-2018, 04:23 AM

I must be the odd one out....our counter is only cluttered on grocery day. 30 minutes later it's cleared off again. Now the pantry is another place....too much stuff left in there from previous wives!! Working some on that today...little by little I'll whittle it down to the items I use and want to keep.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 AM

Any flat surface in the house! It makes me absolutely crazy. Granted, I tend to drop things myself at times but then I do go pick up after myself and somewhat deal with the papers, etc. DH on the other hand.... you get the picture. He's like an 8 yr old boy with pockets full of snails and puppy dog tails. It's never ending. And, like zozee, why is the used paper towel still lying on the kitchen counter next to the garbage can?!?

I try to keep the clutter in the public areas of the house down to a dull roar on a regular basis. The upstairs office (my domain) and the sewing room (again, mine) are a different story. I get to those areas when I feel like dealing with them. Or when I can't see the top of the desk or the cutting table, lol.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 AM

I'm not sure where my biggest clutter spot is. My DH never puts anything away. Anything he uses he leaves out. I am looking at the coffee table in the living room right now. There is a weeks worth of newspapers, 3 flannel shirts and leftover parts from him fixing the toilets on it. I am sure there are a couple of coffee cups there etc, etc. He does the same thing to the kitchen table. He will try to claim it it all my stuff. He will clean it up if I complain to him.
The worst mess that I make is my sewing room. I have run out of space for fabric. I do seem to think better in a somewhat cluttered space. right now it is pretty bad. We are having an auction at retreat in March and I plan to take some of the things I will probably never use there. The money from the auction goes to the deposit for next years retreat. Last year I made up a couple of kits that brought a good price. My guild is having an auction in September. I will clean out more stuff then.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 AM

Hahaha, all I could say is “me too!” as I read everyone’s posts. My husband hates clutter......but he means my clutter......his clutter isn’t called clutter. It’s called convenience. His hot spots are the top of our bedroom dresser and the kitchen counter. I started using a large sewing bowl to move his clutter off the counter. But I can’t get him to go through it. It is overflowing now. My hot spot is my sewing room/bill paying room. I have one desk used for both purposes. Gets kinda crazy sometimes. Fun thread, LavenderBlue!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
every horizontal surface in my house is a hot spot!
what Patrice said

Rob
Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 AM

Thank goodness my husband is a very organized person who regularly clears, sorts and ‘deals’ with those pesky piles that accumulate throughout the house. (I come from a long long of ‘I might need that someday’ accumulators.) Right now our problem areas are the ‘extra’ bedrooms - it’s just so easy to put things on the bed or stack them on the floor - sort of out of sight, out of mind. I’m actually glad we are expecting company soon so the rooms will have to be cleaned up in order to use them!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:49 AM

I say we have flat surface syndrome. Any flat surface in the house apparently must be covered with stuff, doesn’t matter what the stuff is, it collects on flat surfaces, I am convinced it does this all by itself! Inviting people over often is my only solution. Only then do I clean it up!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
The same as yours!!!
My husband likes everything "handy" which translates into messy!
Mine is the same and quite a challenge. However, he doesn't like to make work for my cleaning ladies, so when I point out the need to tidy up for them, he does it. I figure their twice a month visits for half an hour are worth every penny!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 AM

Flat surfaces become “lumpy” fast! Hubs doesn’t help. If it’s not out on the counter, it doesn’t exist. Like bread, butter, peanut butter, etx. My problem is paper. Anything paper...hard for me to get rid of it. I have no idea why. Tried the Fly Lady and it made me crazy, so we just have messy counters. I hope people come to see me and not my house.