Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: While in texas,I found these..

Blog Entries
    Isn't this a great idea?! there were more flavors,but i have given them away to my DD already.
    i paid $1.09 each. I can't tell you how many spices i have used once and then they go bad. or how many recipes i haven't tried,because i didn't want to spend 4 to 6 bucks for the spice i needed. it has the recipe on the back too!
    i will look for them up here in michigan..

McCormicks Spice packs
    Name:  Attachment-63875.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  46.9 KB

Will have to look for those too. I know I use old spices all the time, but can't afford to buy new ones all the time! So many recipes call for fresh spices - even more expensive.

Try to find an herb store in your area. You can pick up fresh spices for a lot less & in the amount you want to buy.

I am having a hard time finding Charcoal Seasoning. It is made by McCormick. It has been discontinued in my area, I am sure because it makes the burgers tastes so good that it is 'bad' for us.

Blog Entries
    Those look handy :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I am having a hard time finding Charcoal Seasoning. It is made by McCormick. It has been discontinued in my area, I am sure because it makes the burgers tastes so good that it is 'bad' for us.
    My grandma used to use something called "Liquid Smoke" that came in a brown bottle about the size of soy sauce. It was some pretty potent stuff and she seemed to always use a little too much but it made everything taste grilled. I don't know if it's still made or not but just thinking about it brings back the smell.

I'm getting ready to go to Texas, what store did you find them in? Was it a chain that might be almost anywhere?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our Wal-mart carries those. I think it would be great for trying something new. You are so right about having spices hang around for years!

I use Figaro Liquid Smoke all the time. It comes in mesquite and hickory flavors. You can find it near the b-b-q sauce generally. It works great in marinades to make things taste grilled even in the winter.

I saw these spice packs advertised on TV for a couple weeks now. Liquid Smoke is what we used to use to put on smoked sausage to hurry the curing process when butchered. It doesn't 'cure' the meat but gives it give flavor! I have some left and I'll add some to baked beans. Goog stuff.

Pam
    I use liquid smoke all of the time. In pot roast, stew, anything that I use beef or venison where it will cook a long time. 1/4 t is usually enough! I just want the touch of a smoky smell, if you use too much it is just bitter. I get liquid smoke at walmart, next to the bar be que sauce.

Banned
    I tried one of those and my whole family really liked how it came out. Of course, now I can't remember what it was I bought so I'm going to have to try some others :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    My grandma used to use something called "Liquid Smoke" that came in a brown bottle about the size of soy sauce. It was some pretty potent stuff and she seemed to always use a little too much but it made everything taste grilled. I don't know if it's still made or not but just thinking about it brings back the smell.

I'm getting ready to go to Texas, what store did you find them in? Was it a chain that might be almost anywhere?
    i think i got it on the airforce base..grocery shopped a few times,a few different places walmarts,HEB,and the base. can't remember which one i got them at.
    but i think they are perfect!
    i use fresh cilantro alot. i should grow some this year.

Alot of my spices I only use occasionally and often seem to be throwing them out to get fresh! I don't think we have a health food or herb store...would be nice.

Now how cool are those? I haven't seen them, but I'll be on the look out now! Nothing better than fresh spices whether they're dried or from a garden. I get so excited when my produce market has fresh basil and dill. In Florida, parsley and cilantro are readily available, but it's hard to find some of the other herbs.

It isn't a liquid, it is more like a powder/granuale stuff. Last place I found it was in Mass. but not even there any longer

They sell these at our Wegmans store. I havent seen then at my Walmart.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hi Deb. I buy the Grill Masters by mccormick and the "Hamburger" flavor is the closest I have found to the charcoal. My kiddos love it. Maybe you could try it.

I'm looking for those. They will work better than spending a couple dollars on a bottle of spice I only use occasionally. They go out of date before I can use it all.

I think these are a fantastic way for cooks that might not be that experienced with spices to make something that tastes complicated, but really isn't. It's good marketing ... maybe you wouldn't use that much of a certain spice so you never buy it... this way you get what you need...

Redkimba I'm with you. I visit the spice store as often as I can, for the price of 1 bottle of spice in the grocery, you can buy 4 or 6 1 oz. bags of whatever... they also hand mix blends for you.
    Another great place to buy bulk spices , if you use alot of something.... is like a health food ( organic) store that sells them. Here inColorado we have Vitamin Cottage, they sell bulk spices & herbs very inexpensively.

I got the quesadilla package & it was WONDERFUL & so easy!

I've seen these advertised on TV.

They are such a great idea. My only problem with them is that there is no such thing as a chicken fajita. Fajita itself means "Strips of beef" How do you get that from a chicken. They don't fool me. lol

Blog Entries
    I get these at our IGA here and love them

Quote Originally Posted by jbud2
    Liquid Smoke is what we used to use to put on smoked sausage to hurry the curing process when butchered. It doesn't 'cure' the meat but gives it give flavor! I have some left and I'll add some to baked beans. Goog stuff.
    I add it to sauces and potatoes au gratin, too. Also, add a couple drops to big spoonful of salt, stir, and let dry, for a great addition to green beans. I prefer the hickory flavor, myself.

Blog Entries
    If you have a health food store in your vicinity try buying your spices there. Ours has a wall of jars with every spice you can imagine. As an example, bay leaves were about $6 in the grocery store but only 60 cents in the health food store because they buy by the ounce and the spices don't go stale before you can use them because you buy just what you need. I buy vanilla beans there and make my own vanilla with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast