White treadle

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM

http://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/2427959486.html

The owner wants to move this real bad, I am supposed to look at it in the am. How are the whites? What about parts if needed?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM

I don't know but the cabinet is sure beautiful!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM

That is what I thought too, I have a really nice sphinx singer that is in perfect working condition. I was hopeing that it would fit in this cabnet.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM

White has always had a good reputation as far as I know. Not sure about getting parts, I'd assume you have to really scour for them as you would any real old machine.

I am looking at buying a house and the contents of it. When I was there yesterday I discovered a White Rotary, electric but still very old. It looks pretty much like the one you are looking at. Anyway it's in perfect, almost unused condition. I question the wisdom of buying a house to get a sewing machine though, LOL! Good Luck!!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM

I don't know about older Whites, but my first machine was a brand new 1966 White that served me very well for 20 years and then was bought by a tailor for his shop when I offered it at a garage sale. I thought that said a lot about the kind of workhorse it was. I can still see the man's smile as he handed me the $15. I had inherited my mom's Elna, which is a few years newer and has more functions, and at the time I didn't know I would someday see some sense in owning more than one sewing machine.

I think this machine looks pretty and the price would be good even for just the cabinet. I'm sure the early Whites had to have an excellent reputation to have any hope of competing against Singer, and they stayed in business a long time.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Brought it home the man came way down in price ,said he had to move it today so make offer! cabnet is very solid and need no refinishing at all, Machine just needs a good cleaning as far as I can tell.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Brought it home the man came way down in price ,said he had to move it today so make offer! cabnet is very solid and need no refinishing at all, Machine just needs a good cleaning as far as I can tell.
Good for you! That cabinet is just gorgeous.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
White has always had a good reputation as far as I know. Not sure about getting parts, I'd assume you have to really scour for them as you would any real old machine.

I am looking at buying a house and the contents of it. When I was there yesterday I discovered a White Rotary, electric but still very old. It looks pretty much like the one you are looking at. Anyway it's in perfect, almost unused condition. I question the wisdom of buying a house to get a sewing machine though, LOL! Good Luck!!
Isn't that what we all look for when buying a house? LOL

Angie