Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: who ate the tomatoes

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I know there is a thread about who plants veggies but does anyone know who could be eating mine.
    I do container gardening so the plants aren't on the ground however something has eaten my tomotoes. Not the entire tomato only 1/2 like a BIG bite was taken out of it. The strange thing is that they eaten tomaotes were at the top of the plant not on the bottom which would have been easier for some critter to get to. What can I do to stop this??????? Any help would be great as I have worked really hard to have a veggie garden and if I don't reap the benefits I will be PISSSSSSSSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check the eaten tomatoes for very large tomato worms. They can get to the size of your thumb in diameter and can eat tomatoes very quickly. Sometimes they are difficult to spot, they can blend in with green tomatoes.

Blog Entries
    Dogs like tomatoes. Deer like tomatoes. Sound possible?

Blog Entries
    I found a large turtle eating one in our garden. But, it was down low.

skunks maybe, but more like a raccoon or a fox, coyote; they're all opportunisitic eaters; you'd smell the skunk.... trust me; I can tell when that bugger's in our yard...
    you might try a cage made from chicken wire, or 1 inch mesh wire, you'll need tin snips to cut it , it's stiff enough to hold it's shape good luck

Squirrels?

Birds will eat on them.

Banned
    I used to have a Maltese that would go out everyday and pick a ripe tomato (never touch the green ones) and bring them in the house and eat every drop of it. I wondered if the acid was bad for him so I called the vet one day and asked what should I do? He said plant more tomatoes!! :lol:

We get fruit rats and they eat the middle out of fruit, or birds.

Blog Entries
    Raccoons, Ground Hogs, possums .....

Blog Entries
    Don't know if that might be the case here but we had a dog who loved tomatoes. She'd eat them right off the vine. LOL

Might be some of the other critters mentioned.

Squirrels are what like to get ours...I swear they go through sometimes and take just one bite out of each....makes me so MAD!! Moth balls help keep the bunnies out, not sure about the squirrels. Bunnies also don't like marigolds and they even look pretty around the tomatoes !!

Blog Entries
    The darn squirrels would get ours. Just when we thought we would have a good one ready to pick, we'd find a big bite taken out and then the rest left. And when there weren't ripe ones, they'd carry off the green. We finally gave up and go to the farmers market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    I used to have a Maltese that would go out everyday and pick a ripe tomato (never touch the green ones) and bring them in the house and eat every drop of it. I wondered if the acid was bad for him so I called the vet one day and asked what should I do? He said plant more tomatoes!! :lol:
    LOL Marsye. I can't tell you how many tomatoes our beagle ate. One day my daughter picked a whole bag to take home and left them in the yard. When she went to get them they were all gone! It was after that she (the dog) started eating them right off the vine.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    The darn squirrels would get ours. Just when we thought we would have a good one ready to pick, we'd find a big bite taken out and then the rest left. And when there weren't ripe ones, they'd carry off the green. We finally gave up and go to the farmers market.
    We never had squirrel problems, just the dog. Lucy is no longer with us but we still laugh at her antics.

Banned
    LOL Marsye. I can't tell you how many tomatoes our beagle ate. One day my daughter picked a whole bag to take home and left them in the yard. When she went to get them they were all gone! It was after that she (the dog) started eating them right off the vine.
    And it didn't make her sick? I was always afraid it would do something to Dumplins tummy.

We had the giant worms, they could eat a hole tomato in a few days. They were SO GROSS! The worst part is, they blended in so they looked like part of the plant. EWWW.....

You didn't say where you were located. In NY, chipmunks would chatter at me for picking THEIR tomatoes. Now I am in Florida, and mysterious bugs eat my veggies, but leave the chives alone. Go figure!

We had a Jack Russell Terrier that would pick green tomatoes. We would find them in a big pile in the yard. Couldn't figure it out till one day it struck us, they were the size/color of her tennis balls.

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I know there is a thread about who plants veggies but does anyone know who could be eating mine.
    I do container gardening so the plants aren't on the ground however something has eaten my tomotoes. Not the entire tomato only 1/2 like a BIG bite was taken out of it. The strange thing is that they eaten tomaotes were at the top of the plant not on the bottom which would have been easier for some critter to get to. What can I do to stop this??????? Any help would be great as I have worked really hard to have a veggie garden and if I don't reap the benefits I will be PISSSSSSSSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Sounds like birds to me. Wini - House of BCC in Houston

Not sure of your location, but birds, specially parrots are a problem here, rodents also love fruit. I have problems with rats in some of my fruit trees. If it is birds some old cd's drilled and put up with string or christmas tinsel scares them off.

A neighbor of ours when we lived in Mississippi had about 3 rows of tomato plants. Our chicken got loose and went over there and ate every one of his tomatoes. I was so embarrassed......lol

I offer to buy him some new plants he said no. But I did send over a nice chicken dinner though....LOL

My dogs eat them, but they eat the whole tomato, not just a bite. I think it's tomato worms!

Quote Originally Posted by walen
    My dogs eat them, but they eat the whole tomato, not just a bite. I think it's tomato worms!
    Dogs and grand children!!

put either human or dog hair in your garden most animale like rabits and deer don't like the smell and it scares them off the rabits were eating all my pepers untill i got my hair cut and kept it to put it in the garden since them non more nibling by the pest

Have you tried putting cayenne pepper around them and on them? Maybe that would help. Just remember to wash it off before you eat them. LOL

My mom and dad had a dog that would dig potatoes with them. Made mom mad because Betsy's claws sometimes gouged the potatoes. She didn't eat them, just dug them, but only when mom and dad were digging too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast