Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers selling greeting cards? >

Who remembers selling greeting cards?

Who remembers selling greeting cards?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Oh how I remember selling greeting cards!!! I was 7 yrs. old and thought I needed a job...I wanted to buy my parents, grandparents, etc. Christmas presents with my very own money...long story short, my Mom had a fit when the box came and was going to make me send it all back, but my Dad stepped in(which he hardly ever did because Mom was in charge of discipline), and said since I already had them, I should be allowed to sell them...everyone in my small town had more greeting cards than they could possibly use because no one wanted to disappoint a little kid...and I thank my Dad for instilling confidence in me and encouraging to always reach higher!!! Life was so much fun in the "old" days... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi
Old 08-22-2020, 01:29 PM

Post Who remembers selling greeting cards?

I was thrilled to run across this post. Memories of selling holiday greetings cards door-to-door came cascading back. I must have been ten or so and it was exciting to experience firsthand how hard work, developing people skills, selling a quality product that made my neighbors repeat customers, all while earning a few dollars to buy my parents and siblings Christmas gifts, was an empowering lesson. My mother was very supportive; she admired my entrepreneurial spirit. I can still remember it was Mrs.Carter who always went for the most expensive engraved boxed set; walking up to her door every year I must have hobbled a bit because all my fingers and toes were crossed that she would do it again, which she always did. Until the year she said, not this year, dear, and I knew my salad days as a kid merchant were over.

Last edited by ccalgirl; 08-22-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:46 PM

I sold them in the late 1950's. I made a few dollars. I knew from that endeavor that I could not be a successful salesperson. I didn’t take rejection well. I’m always in awe of successful sellers who have to drum up customers to make a living.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Yep, sold both cards and seeds. They really took advantage of kids!
Old 08-23-2020, 02:24 AM

Greeting cards and seeds. Was hoping to get the motorized bike they advertised, but never did. Ended up using clothes pins to fasten playing cards to the spokes of my bike instead.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 08-23-2020 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:33 AM

Funny I was just remembering selling those cards for money! I also planted, raised, and picked pickles to raise money. I still remember the coat and dress I bought from Aldens catalog with that money.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:33 AM

Cards not so much... and nothing I sold was for me but I went door to door for Campfire Girls and Girl Scouts and Band, selling cookies to light bulbs.

The only cards I think was in 7th grade (so 1972ish??), it was through the school for some reason and they were Current when it was just starting -- remember the tri-fold cards shaped like animals or scenes? You'd write on the inside, fold it up and use a sticker to close it.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:35 AM

I was selling greeting cards in the late 60's early 70's. I did not get sample boxes but a larger scrap book looking portfolio of all the available in the line. I made a decent share of the profits and some of the holiday cards were great. I haven't' thought ofthose days in a very long time.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:11 AM

ugh I did it. Not fun.

Later I worked retail and enjoyed it. ( supporting my habit selling cameras)
Old 08-24-2020, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I don't recall seeds but my oldest brother sold Wallace Brown greeting cards. He was maybe a teen or pre-teen, not sure.