Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who's had carpal tunnel surgery?? >

Who's had carpal tunnel surgery??

Who's had carpal tunnel surgery??

Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM

How long will my hand be useless?? I've waited until the Doc said "do it or you risk permanent nerve damage". The brace isn't helping and sometimes I'm in pretty severe pain..and I'm not a pain baby at all. But the lost of pinch and grip strength has me a little nervous..so off to surgery I go!!

I am waiting til Tuesday before turkey day so I can get my outside chores finished up, and I have projects cut..but how long til I can use the machine again?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 PM

I had the surgery several years ago and the results were amazing. I was able to have the scope type surgery and went back to work the next day (office work that is). I healed pretty well and was back to doing most things fairly soon afterward as long as it didn't involve heavy lifting or pulling a great deal on my hands. I was just so thankful to have normal feeling in my hands again.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:36 PM

I had it done to my right wrist in 1993 and was only out of work 2-3 weeks. Can't remember. Just ask the Dr. He should be up front with you. I still am happy I had it done.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM

I had both hands done at once. One hand was scheduled, but the wait time for this particular plastic surgeon was over a tear. By the time I was in OR the other hand was as bad as the first. My husband promised to do "everything"for me for 6 weeks, so the surgeon did both. His method was tiny ( about 1/4 in cuts on the wrist in one of the creases...) therefore healing time was quick, and scar is hidden.The reason I waited for this surgeon was exactly that I didn't want the huge ugly cut and scar from my wrist into the palm of my hand. I have a very exceptional husband! He did everything for me, and I mean everything. The fun times we still giggle over was showering, and getting my bra on each morning.If you precut a few qukilt tops, you should feel weel enough to guide the pieces through the machine, after about 3 weeks, but don't be in a hurry to press seams. Maybe a husband or friend could be volunteered.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 PM

He wants me to not work for 6 weeks!!! I do a lot of precise work with my hands (probably caused most of this in the first place :x ), so I'm assuming sewing will be off limits for a while too! It really stinks that I'll be home and unable to do anything!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM

I have had both hands done. I waited much too long for the first and it took months to heal. Did the second one before it got so bad and I was functioning in about three weeks. As far as intricate hand work went-expect it to be a minimum of 6 weeks or even longer. Sorry-but it's well worth it to heal correctly so you don't have permanent nerve damage like I have in my one hand. Listen to what the doc tells you.

Good luck.
Kat
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM

I had the surgery done in 2001 on both wrist at the same time and they also repaired a torn rotator cuff in my right upper arm/shoulder at the same time. I was working in a hospital as an RN and, I believe, because of lifting requirements and such, that they allowed six weeks off of work.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I had my right hand done about 3 years before I had my left done. Had to be out of work for 2 weeks with my right, I think. With my left, I didn't take any time off. I'm so glad I had the surgery. No more hands falling asleep when doing fine motor stuff (sewing, knitting, crocheting, data entry, etc.).
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 PM

7 years for me since my surgery and I tried to get more than two weeks off (I taught Kindergarten)but the surgeon said no way! Two weeks was long enough for a teacher to be off. My family doctor was horrified... He though I was risking a lot to be back tugging on winter boots and zipping stubborn zippers for 5 year olds. He made me stay off three extra weeks. Surgery was totally worth it! Left hand has never gotten bad... knock on wood!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM

I had both my hands done at seperate times though. I also was off work for about 2 weeks which was the LONGEST 2 weeks of my life.
When they did my right hand, when I came out of surgery and it looked like a big huge baseball mitt size wise and I was able to see the top halves of all my fingers and thumbs.

When they did my left hand, when I came out of surgery I freaked out....I thought they CUT MY FINGERS off as I couldn't see them.
They cut me from wrist into my palm but they did it in my crease. I do have scars on both hands, but who cares, they don't bother me except for the left one it itches pretty bad sometimes. I had mine done back in 1997 or 1998.
If I had to do it all over again...I would. I didn't sew back then so I don't know how long it will take. Good luck on your surgery. :)