Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why did I buy it?

Why did I buy it?

When some here posted about fire on sale for $39.95, I went to local best buy and bought one for an upcoming gg kid (5) birthday....but then I also bought one for me! WHY? That's my now question.......I have desktop, laptop, iPad, smart phone, oh, and kindle, and now this.....I am not a computer fiend...panic when something goes wrong...you should have witnessed me trying to register this Fire..had to connect to Chat for help!!!!!! Anyway, those who have it....what "apps" have you installed, and what do you do with it? Btw. The gg kid is having a ball with his!!!!!!!

oh dear -- sometimes we are just attracted to a sale and buy!!-- if it were me, I would give my old kindle to someone and use the new Kindle Fire, but I wouldn't know how to transfer, if possible, what I had saved on my kindle -- but it happens to most of us!!
    diane

I use the Kindle app on my Ipad. Just sayin'

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I too use the kindle app on my iPad.
    Lori

I got a Nook for Christmas 3 years ago. So far I have learned how to play one game. The sad part is that I took a class and learned nothing. I think I am not electronically inclined. My daughters bought it for my DH to give me for Christmas to use for books. I think my case is hopeless.
    Sue

I use my tablet as a backup for my laptop. I can quickly check e-mail if I have already shut my laptop down. I find is useful if I am streaming something and want to go to bed, I take the tablet vs. the laptop up to the bedroom. I have some files saved to the cloud that I can access on either computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    When some here posted about fire on sale for $39.95, I went to local best buy and bought one for an upcoming gg kid (5) birthday....but then I also bought one for me! WHY? That's my now question.......I have desktop, laptop, iPad, smart phone, oh, and kindle, and now this.....I am not a computer fiend...panic when something goes wrong...you should have witnessed me trying to register this Fire..had to connect to Chat for help!!!!!! Anyway, those who have it....what "apps" have you installed, and what do you do with it? Btw. The gg kid is having a ball with his!!!!!!!
    I do not have an Ipad or smart phone, so I use the Kindle because it is so light and portable. I use to view recipes in the kitchen or to view sewing tutorials in the sewing room. I like it. Sometimes, I will access Quilting Board with it if the laptop is not handy. It is very portable for me.

Blog Entries
    if you got it through Amazon, they should be able to help you.

You can download any books, music, etc that you bought from Amazon to the new fire (I did that when I got my new one). You will need to check with them about .pdf files if you have any of the. If your original Kindle is not a Fire, then the games won't transfer but you can download apps like Candy Crush, etc to your Fire.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Can you watch a movie on the Fire? I am rather bummed that I got the iPad mini and the operating system will only let you watch thru the iTunes or Amazon prime apps. I wanted the iPad to watch movies when I don't have Internet access. I can watch on my iPhone since the operating system is older but I would go blind looking at such a small screen.

I like my mini because it does sync with my laptop and phone but Apple wants to control how you can view the movies now. This is very upsetting. My next computer is not likely to be an Apple.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-21-2016 at 01:58 PM.

That's why when my husband asked if I wanted to go to the REI garage sale, I said "no. I don't need another garage."

With Kindle downloads you have a cloud. Go to manage your devices and there is list of everything you have downloaded. You can move contents from one Kindle to another and other options. You can delete content from you Kindle but never lose it, it stays in the cloud waiting for you. I use my Kindle to keep pdf files of my quilt patterns and tutortials. It's great to go to fabric store and have every pattern with me. When I buy a pattern I scan it and put it on my computer, then send it to my Kindle. I have several Kindles. One for books, one for media, and one for quilting. They are amazing devices.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I bought it too, and I have an iPad and iPhone. I find the Kindle clumsy by comparison and hardly use it. I thought I would put my ebooks on it, but prefer on the iPad. I read the QB on the Kindle sometimes, but, it isn't as user friendly as the iPad or iPhone in my opinion. Just my opinion!!
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    You can download any books, music, etc that you bought from Amazon to the new fire (I did that when I got my new one). You will need to check with them about .pdf files if you have any of the. If your original Kindle is not a Fire, then the games won't transfer but you can download apps like Candy Crush, etc to your Fire.

So all the books I have on old kindle cannot come to new fire...I thought they were in the cloud, whatever that means, and I could retrieve them from there...for the record. I hate CANDY CRUSH...what a waste of space...a never ending, can't win thing! Scrabble, solitaire,

speaking of CLOUD (?). Can that get too full and then you have to buy "more" cloud? Doesn't that sound silly?

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    I too use the kindle app on my iPad.
    yes, I too.

I read books on my Kindle Fire almost every day. I buy the books on Amazon when they have good prices and they will be there when I get to them. I have spent a lot of time waiting in hospitals and doctor offices since September with a family member and did a lot of reading then. I also have some games, e-mail, Facebook, etc. but don't usually do anything but read on it. I like it.

Are you an Amazon Prime member? I am sure if you are, they can help you. When I saw the sale, I thought "do I need this" no. I enjoy my tablet as an alternative watching TV and my computer. My friend is always telling me about these free books for kindle but it is nothing I am interested in.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I have a kindle but I also have an iPad with a kindle app. I can download from usually Amazon and the book appears on both ready to be downloaded. I find the kindle is light weight and easy to pop in the bag. The iPad is heavier but the light makes it easier to read especially in power cuts.
    the page you read to can also transfer from one to the other so I always know where I am
    Finished is better than a UFO

I bought the Kindle Fire last week and cannot get it to connect. Guess I will have to call Amazon/Best buy and see if they can help me. Wish I had a teenager around, he he he. I have a good strong signal but wi-fi will not connect it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
    I bought the Kindle Fire last week and cannot get it to connect. Guess I will have to call Amazon/Best buy and see if they can help me. Wish I had a teenager around, he he he. I have a good strong signal but wi-fi will not connect it says.
    Thats what happened to me....go to amazon/devices website....there is a chat button.......you can text with a tech....that's how I got connected..great service......

You all know more than I do!! I really have been thinking of giving up my P C altogether because of my age and it takes up too much of my time just to look up one thing. Use to love it, but every time the grand kids use it, it takes me weeks to get it back, and then they come again!! I would like to just have a conversation with them to see how they are doing in school, and the rest of their lives. Guess I`m too old for that too.

Barbshobbies, I used to have the same problem when the grandkids used my computer, even to the point that I would have to take it in for virus removal, etc. Even if there weren't viruses, they changed my setting so much, I could hardly recognize my own computer. Finally I gave up on the PC, too many expensive repairs, and just use my laptop. My laptop is now off limits for grandkids. Sorry if their feelings are hurt, but enough was enough and I feel I deserve to enjoy my computer time. PS, they get over it. Also discovered their parents would not let them use their new computer

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
    I have a Kindle & I love it. Originally I had a Kindle Touch, then a couple of Christmases ago I upgraded it to a Kindle Fire. I am never without my Kindle. It goes everywhere with me. When I'm at the doctor's or dentist, stuck in traffic, even read on my lunch break at work. I have more than a thousand books in the Cloud. Actually, I had close to a thousand when I bought the Kindle Fire, so who knows how many books are stored in the Cloud today. But I only read books on it. One of these days I will have to explore & see what else I can do with it. I haven't explored the photography part of the Kindle Fire, or the e-mail section. My only regret is that I actually gave up my Kindle Touch.
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.