Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why We're Allergic to Foods - No Joke >

Why We're Allergic to Foods - No Joke

Why We're Allergic to Foods - No Joke

Old 06-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Noveltyjunkie- good points.
I don't have the answers but I do know that food has a lot of garbage in it that didn't used to and I don't believe it's good for us. I don't have allergies but when I eat healthy I feel so much better.
There may be flaws in her talk but she makes a lot of sense to me when you take out the allergy part.
I mentioned my husband- he's known about this stuff a lot longer than me and no longer works for a big food company that he worked for for many years. He said he can't be a part of a process that makes profits at the risk of the health of people.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Finally got to watch this. The speaker certainly has a very persuasive manner, but she does not present any actual data to show a link.

A major flaw in her argument is that, as she repeatedly points out, many countries did not allow those US GM proteins to be used in human food. What she does not acknowledge is that, in those countries, food allergies have also increased very markedly, just like in the US.

So how does she explain that?
There are other theories out there on why food allergies are on the rise. I am not buying into this one without evidence.

And as an aside, one reason why there is more cancer in the US (and she did leave that slide up there for a very long time, didn't she?) is that people live long enough to get cancer. (If you die of malaria as a child, you don't get cancer. If you do not have access to clean water and die of cholera, you do not live long enough to get cancer.) The picture on public health is very complex, and she seems to be trying to make it all about one thing, to support her own argument. I tend not to listen to people who do that.
I agree with you. Also , are there really more people with allergies or are they just getting diagnosed more due to better/widely available testiing? I know a lot of people that are downright paranoid about what they eat and buy. Know what?? they are no healthier than my family. in some cases , less.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 AM

I agree with noveltyjunkie. I'm sick and tired of alarmists. We all die someday, and I'm not going to increase the amount of stress in my life by worrying about things like this. So many so-called "experts" have been wrong before - they used to tell us butter was bad, now they say margarine is even worse.

We have friends who raise a few head of cattle every year, so we buy half a side of beef from them at butchering time. We know where it's been and what it's eaten. I buy produce from local farmers, and we have a wonderful retired neighbor who cannot possibly eat all that he enjoys growing, so he passes some of his extra produce to us. Foods such as Coke and Doritos are special treats. I plan ahead to avoid the temptation of quick-fix meals. We are by no means health nuts, but I listened to my mom when she told me to only shop the perimeter of the store.