Windows 10 vs Windows 7

Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 AM

I upgraded to Windows 10 (the free upgrade) and I haven't had any problems with my email. I use gmail. However, I have had problems with the facial recognition feature. Need to contact them about that. Otherwise, it's fine.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:39 AM

I'm keeping windows 7 until it (or I) die of old age or 2020, whichever comes first. My DH has 10, as does my sister and they are both satisfied with it. DH upgraded from 8.1, which was awful, so 10 is an improvement.

Then I'll probably get an Apple computer.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:51 AM

I fixed my issue with Windows Live Mail. I did some more digging on the internet and found this:
http://appuals.com/windows-live-mail...to-windows-10/

After following the instructions, my email program opens right up. I had to put the program in compatibility mode for Windows 7.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM

I bought a new computer when they dropped Vista. I now have ten and the only problem I have had is it freezes up and I have to turn it off and re start it then it sometimes just turns its self off when I am in the middle of something. My DD told me she has this problem with hers and so does every one she knows that has ten. Her DH got so fed up with his doing that he had eight put on his new computer.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 PM

I had windows 7 and loved it until the computer croaked - it was an epic hard drive failure so bought new computer which came with Windows 10. After help from my nephew who is a techie, I have managed to figure stuff out and I like it. The problem is thinking in apps. The one thing I do not like is downloading pdf documents. There is an extra step but for the most part, it's working for me. I have QuiltPro 6 and there was no problem installing the program on Windows 10.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:22 PM

I had 8.1 and was quite happy with it but I switched to Windows 10 on my laptop and except for the start/end part and getting some updated drivers for a couple things it is working great. I put W10 on my Desktop and disaster--one problem after another and finally I went back to 8.1. My tech says to do a clean upgrade which means taking everything off and then using the DVD/USB version instead of the download version. I don't really know if it is worth all that trouble.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
I tried Windows 10 which I didn't find hard to use. I just couldn't access my Embroidery Designs and as I have thousands or tens of thousands there is a lot of money invested. A guy at the local electronics store said the same happened to his wife but she found a free program to cover that, trouble is he didn't know the name of it. Does anyone know of this program. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
ugh! this is the exact problem i fear if i switch over to 10 plus i have a pricy to me amazing lettering software i fear i will lose and cannot afford to replace.also I belong to some embroidery yahoo groups and the digitizer themselfs won't cange to 10 their digitizing software is very expensive.............
Old 07-24-2016, 12:29 PM

I have 8.1 and live it--but when I upgraded to 10 I had to get rid of Edge and open pdf's with Adobe and I could not even get to Facebook website--kept getting an error message and my images would not appear in my gmails. After googling and buying a program which said it would fix those issues (it didn't & I got a refund) I went back to 8.1. I plan to put Classic Shell on which changes the start/shut down part and I should be happy. I do not want to remove everything from the computer and install W10 from USB or DVD.
Originally Posted by lblank42 View Post
I upgraded to Windows 10 (the free upgrade) and I haven't had any problems with my email. I use gmail. However, I have had problems with the facial recognition feature. Need to contact them about that. Otherwise, it's fine.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM

I use Vikings program and with W10 I couldn't do my embroidery program until I went in and downloaded the latest driver from the HV website. Also, had to fix SewIConz to see the designs again. Maybe checking your software site you will find an updated driver.
Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
ugh! this is the exact problem i fear if i switch over to 10 plus i have a pricy to me amazing lettering software i fear i will lose and cannot afford to replace.also I belong to some embroidery yahoo groups and the digitizer themselfs won't cange to 10 their digitizing software is very expensive.............
Old 07-24-2016, 12:53 PM

sandy I.....not too sure about Windows 8 being supported till 2020. I thought it was just Windows 7....I'd research it if I were you.