Windows 8

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 AM

wow husband ordered me a new computer (apple) before christmas we havent received
yet. oh i sure hope it isnt too hard for me to learn. this thing i am on know is a dinosauer
but at least i can move around. slow but i can move around on it.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 AM

I have not bought a new computer as I am worried that Windows 8 will be a pain to learn. I may have to just jump into it. I tend to be better at hands on learning.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 AM

my puter keeps flashing to upgrade to 8....glad I read this LOL
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM
QKO

If you have a keyboard with a Windows key on it, push that. It should also toggle you between the start menu and the Desktop.

OK, so now you have 2 or three ways to do anything, instead of just one in Win 7. Not a big deal, just pick the way you want to run, and in awhile it'll all be natural.

Sure, it may take a bit to find how a a few things work initially, unless of course you did an upgrade to an old Win7 system in which case everything should be pretty much in the same places, but once you are used to it, it's all good.

One of the biggest things people have trouble with is shutting down/restarting their systems. Here's a tip or two:

Move your cursor to the upper right side of the screen until the popout menu appears. Click on Settings. From there, Click on Power, at the bottom. There are your restart and shutdown controls. That's also how you get to the control panel and personalization panels.

I can't imagine going back to Win7 and losing the new higher speed of the system, it's just so much faster.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Swap Hosts

I HATE IT!!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM

I'm keeping my Vista with the hope that it will not die onme until something better that 7 or 8 comes along. Everyone I've talked to with Win 8 dislikes it. If these people are smart enough to invent programs, why can't they come up with one that is user-friendly to all of us - not just the techs.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
I can get to the desktop, can't find excell...
Do as to did above to get to the desk top, click on the start button. Next click on 'All Programs' and a list will appear, along with a scroll bar. Scroll down to 'Microsoft Office' and then click on it and Microsoft Office Excel should be listed. If this is a new computer it might not have installed at the factory as you sometimes have to buy it separately.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM

I have had it for 2 weeks. I definately hate it!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have been using it for a couple of weeks and am less than thrilled with it. I can't even report the errors in it to Microsoft. My Microsoft exec nephew says it is designed for war gamers. Phooey. the W7 and W8 sections don't even talk to each other! If my old machine were not totally dead, I'd go back to it. I have figured my way around, but I am not happy with it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Never thought I'd install Firefox over Windows Explorer, but W8 convinced me...never going back.