Winning

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM

When you win something like from the shop hop, do you pay taxes on it before you recieve it or at the end of the year when you file?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I wouldn't think you'd have to pay tax on a prize, would you? You don't here.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 AM

You certainly pay taxes here on cash prizes. I don't know about other things.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 AM

It depends on how much it is you win.
States are different with their laws.
I'm thinking if you win just a $10 GF, you don't have to claim it.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
You certainly pay taxes here on cash prizes. I don't know about other things.
Actually when I said 'here' I meant the UK! You can take the girl out of England... Not sure about France. In the UK you don't pay tax on the actual winnings, only on income that they generate. For example, if you won a million on the lotto and stuck it in the bank, the million itself is tax free, the interest it generates is taxable. Interesting. :-)
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 AM

Well, the USA is definitely different. I won $1000.00 on the lottery a few years ago and they took the taxes right away. Anything over $600.00 you have to go to their office or mail it in. This is in New York. But if you itemize and can prove you spent that much during the year, (if you are audited)then you can write off the amount. Otherwise it is considered income.

When it comes to actual prizes, I am not sure how it works, but know that it is different for every state.

Did you win? If so, what?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Legally...you are supposed to claim it on your tax return...
But unless it is an amount large enough that the company sends you a tax form (which also gets sent to the IRS), the IRS will never know about it :wink:
Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Well, the USA is definitely different. I won $1000.00 on the lottery a few years ago and they took the taxes right away. Anything over $600.00 you have to go to their office or mail it in. This is in New York. But if you itemize and can prove you spent that much during the year, (if you are audited)then you can write off the amount. Otherwise it is considered income.

When it comes to actual prizes, I am not sure how it works, but know that it is different for every state.

No, I haven't won yet. But our local shop hop starts tomorrow and was wondering if by chance I had won, would I have to pay taxes.

Like the second prize this year is an Elna 3210 Gallery series and comes with a sew steady table. Hope I win!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by no1jan

No, I haven't won yet. But our local shop hop starts tomorrow and was wondering if by chance I had won, would I have to pay taxes.

Like the second prize this year is an Elna 3210 Gallery series and comes with a sew steady table. Hope I win!!!!
good luck, hope you win
Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Unless the shop you won from reports it to IRS I don't know how they'd (the IRS) know. If they did report it you should get some type of 1099 ish form. If they don't, You are supposed to be honest and report it anyway. Generally the retail value of the item is considered to be the amount of income to you if the prize wasn't cash.
As far as sales tax goes, If you win a gift cert, you'll pay sales tax on purchase the same as if you paid cash, if they charge tax.

Good luck :D :D