Winter hummingbird

Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM
kbs

We live in south central Kentucky and last week we saw a hummingbird come up where our feeders usually hang. We have been setting a feeder on the table out there and she comes in twice a day to drink. It is way to cold for her but we keep two feeders going, one out there for her and one in the house to keep warm and switch them a couple times a day. We think she is staying in a red cedar not far from the house. I hope she makes it, has anyone else had this happen?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM

I've heard of it happening. Where a hummingbird seems to be lingering... I've known people who take their feeders down as early as September! I always argue against that, as they are migrating then and our little pit stops renew their energy and are like little blessings for them. Their instinct to Migrate is so powerful, no different than carribou, that a simple feeder is not going to dissuade them. It could be that your hummer was born later in the season and is trying to fatten up for the long journey ahead of him. Or she could be an older bird, not yet willing to start the long trek. Blessings to you for keeping your feeders up. We do too. Once the weather is truly in the freezing temps day after day, we finally take ours down. (we live south of you, near nashville.)
Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 PM

We've been told to keep feeders up long after we see birds because many will be using them without us seeing. If you are on a migration route you have more little hummers than most. I usually keep feeders up from Valentine's day through Thanksgiving. Maybe I should keep them year round. We rarely are snowy and cold but I don't see the birds.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I hope she makes it too. Lastyear I had a bluebird still her in December, and I am in WI. I hope it made it too!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM

last winter i had a small bird freeze we had 27 degrees for two days at night he hunkered down behind a woods santa that i put out for christmas i felt so sorry that i did not find him sooner
Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 PM

There have been hummers that wintered over here in central PA. The home owners had a car port where the bird stayed. They kept a light bulb on with a perch close to it, so it could stay warm & a feeder up the whole winter.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM
kbs

Thank you for your replies, I watch for her every day and she comes up 5 or 6 times a day to eat. We keep putting room temp water out for her. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Since there aren't any flowers blooming, she will need more than sugar water, I always buy about 1/2 gal. size liquid that has vitamins in it and already has sugar in it, a little more expensive but, I feel they need the vitamins and minerals. Sugar water is not enough to sustain her. Google and see what else Hummingbirds eat.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
kbs

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I found a few websites that talk about Hummers surviving winter. Not sure you can by premade hummer food this time of year. A feed supply store may have some. Other than nectar hummers feed on small insects & spider. This site has a few ideas on feeding in winter:

http://www.dongorney.com/humfeeder.htm