Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wish for Location

Banned

Wish for Location

I just wish those who post would list their location in their profile - at least state or area of the country.

Blog Entries
    agree

That would be nice.

Had to post to see if I had mine listed. I agree that it's nice to know at least a state. I love to find quilters near me. It's a shame that the internet is such a scary place to post that kind of info.

Suzy

Blog Entries
    People are probably afraid that the quilt police will show up. LOL
    Nikki in MO

I agree !Its nice to see if someone is nearby or what country they may be from . It just make the connection a bit more personal.

Blog Entries
    Me too...they tease us with pretty avatar pics then leave us guessing where they are!

Blog Entries
    So often I might send a PM if I knew they were anywhere local to me.

It is nice to see where everyone is located.

Blog Entries
    variety is the spice of life. yes, i often wonder where folks are located. however, some may feel that they want to be very anonymous, so each to his/her own
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I've met several very nice people from the board after noticing that their location was near mine.

Holice, maybe everyone doesn't come from as nice a place as you do! I used to live in Boston and loved visiting Sturbridge. I totally agree. However, I live near Kissimmee and Campbell City, Fl which means less to folks than if I say Central Florida.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
    agree
    Ditto! It would be nice!
    Aronel aka Lee

Yep, it always leaves me wondering where they are from.

I think most of us are a little nervous about putting to much info on the internet. I've always been trusting but know people and even myself who have had little problems. I'd like to think that all of us o the QB are here to be friends and learn and help each other out but understand that it's sometimes hard to trust. Sue

All good points, wonder what's wrong with me, I never even thought to look. LOL

Blog Entries
    I agree! Folks we don't want to stalk you; it's fun to know where everyone is from.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I too, think it's nice to know where people are from. I've lived (and quilted) all over the country and it kind of helps me see what kind of progress is being made in areas where I used to live! (Of course, when I started quilting, no one else in whatever state we were in, did!)
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I love to see where our fellow quilters are from! And I also respect the privacy some may want. In regards to North Americans, there are more Americans than Canadians on this board. So when I see someone is from Ontario, I wonder where exactly.....it is a big Province!
    Maureen

I like it too, but as ging10ging says, many have expressed that they are fearful of revealing too much information.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I like it too, but as ging10ging says, many have expressed that they are fearful of revealing too much information.
    This is true. I think that many people are very afraid of revealing too much--and probably many of those are people who have either been harassed or have heard of someone being harassed by someone on the internet. However, I'm more afraid of someone actually harassing me/targeting my house/ than of actually finding me the through this blog, then looking up my name and address on whitepages.com and trying to find me, then kidnapping my kids, etc.

I'm sure there is a fine line and balance, but probably most of us live pretty fearful lives due to this day and age of "nonstop crime reporting". The other day I read a blog post about someone living in NYC and they let their 9 year old kids walk back and forth to music lessons!

Since I don't live in NYC, I assumed that no one would do that due to the mysterious "stalkers" and "molesters" that seem to exist everywhere.

Anyway, I assume it is like anything...you hear of it happening once or twice anywhere in the world, and you think that all people in (fill in the blank...Cairo, Jerusalem, NYC) are so afraid due to high crime that they stay paralyzed in their homes. However, it isn't true. We hear about the occasional car bombers and shootings, but most people live their daily lives unmolested and unhurt.