Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wof

Blog Entries

Wof

I swear sometimes I just don't know about myself. I know that WOF means width of fabric. I am trying to make a pillowcase using the 20 minute/hot dog method. I am sure that all of you could make pillowcases in your sleep. I've found left over fabric that I want to use. If I put the selvage at the top there is a fold at the bottom. Is the part from one selvage (folded) to the other considered WOF? I'm sorry for being such a dummy but I don't want to mess up this fabric by cutting it wrong.

WOF is from selvege to selvege unfolded. I hope I'm answering your question. And no question is dumb. ��

Blog Entries
    Wof is like you buy the fabric at the store folded selvage to selvage. Hope this helps and dont confused you farther.

Blog Entries
    oh, Mike'sgirl, it's unfolded. Thank you

Blog Entries
    butterfly48, now I am confused a little. Is it folded like when I get it from the store or measured unfolded? I guess they'd both be the same wouldn't they, sorry

Blog Entries
    WOF is selvedge to selvedge. You normally would measure it unfolded, but you can measure it folded & then double that measurement. Usually WOF is about 42 inches, give or take.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I hope you don't get discouraged if it takes more than 20 minutes to make your pillowcase, because I have made a few of those, and perhaps could put it together in 20 minutes if everything else was cut out and in order, machine threaded and set up, and test stitching completed. Start to finish, just relax and enjoy the process.

Another way to think of cutting width of fabric is to think of it as across the grain. You are no dummy. You are smart enough to ask for clarification.

I have made many of these, and they ALWAYS take me a lot more than 20 minutes.

The selvage is not the folded edge, it's the stiffer edge that runs lengthwise that does not ravel. When you unfold the fabric, WOF is from one side to the other. Length is how much they cut off the bolt.

Blog Entries
    Well I now know what WOF stands for -the width is selvage to selvage

Blog Entries
    The selvedge question is answered, but you need to know that things that say a time...like the 10 minute table runner ALWAYS take me about three times longer. Or does that 10 minutes mean just the sewing time? But that's for another day.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for all the great information. I made the pillowcase, it only took me two HOURS!! and the pillowcase is so long that I need to buy a king size pillow to fill it up. I evidently measured something wrong, maybe loaf instead of wolf, lol.

Blog Entries
    I love/hate auto correct, it should say length of fabric (loaf) and width of fabric (wolf)

I've made these pillowcases and, yes, takes me more than 20 minutes. I count the cutting, sewing, and pressing in the "time." When sewing up the side and end seams, I use the French seam, which is sewing the seams with the wrong side to wrong side together, trim seam to a little less than 1/4 inch and then pressing with right side to right side to sew the 1/4 inch seam on the inside These made great kids' pillowcases because they are so durable. Our great grands love them pillowcases for their room. The last ones I made were monster trucks and Superman.
    One step at a time, always forward.

This may eve be more confusing for you, but I trim my pillowcases down to 21" from the fold cutting off the salvages. Just easier to cut 21" than 42". I make pillowcases to go with my quilts for foster kids. Here is one that just needs the seams sewn:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    The selvedge question is answered, but you need to know that things that say a time...like the 10 minute table runner ALWAYS take me about three times longer. Or does that 10 minutes mean just the sewing time? But that's for another day.
    This is like Kay Wood's 6-hour quilt--took me days as I kept changing fabrics. I use a serger on my pillowcases -- serge across the top and down the sides of the main piece. Serge the bands into a circle and then do a serge putting all three parts together--no seams to show on the side.

Blog Entries
    I was always told the only dumb question was the one not asked. If you don't ask, you don't know. If you have two selvage edges, all of the fabric from one salvage to the other one is WOF, if its folded in half then it'd be 1/2 WOF. It usually is side to side, depending on the pattern or design on fabric.
    Judy