Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wooden Spools

Wooden Spools

Hello everyone! I'm so glad I discovered this site. I've inherited a basket full of my grandmother's wooden spools and have some crafty ideas of what to do with them (Christmas ornaments, garland, etc.), but I have a question. This open basket of spools was stashed on a basement shelf and has accumulated years of dust, and probably mouse droppings before I received it. Any ideas on how to clean them?
    Thanks a bunch!

Welcome from Adrian, MI

Drop them in warm soapy water, it shouldn't hurt them. Swish around and rub off the dirt. Rinse and dry.

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Are they empty spools or still have thread on them? You can just wash them with a little antibacterial soap water if they are empty. If they have dusty thread, I would remove the thread and then wash. If you want to clean them and preserve the thread, I have no idea how to best do that.

Blog Entries
    My daughter made me this wreath for Christmas this year. I have it hanging on my sewing room door. She got many of the wooden spools on ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

yel
    Blog Entries
    i put some long screws in them and screwed them to the wall ....great place to hang stuff...

Welcome from South Dakota. I was at a rummage sale and came across a basket of thread - all on wooden spools. When I paid for the items they didn't charge for the spools as they didn't have much thread! Was I lucky!

Power Poster
    Hi from Ohio! I agree with Pat M. and put them in soapy water.
    SueDor

Banned
    Clever and cute

I had some wooden spools that I found in my Aunt's house. I obtained a 2 qt. canning jar that was my Grandmother's and made a lamp. dH modified a lamp kit purchased at the hardware store, and a lampshade. Ta da- vintage lamp. Some of the spools still had thread on them and others were empty. I put torn strips of fabric around the empty ones. The shade was covered with verticle strips of torn fabric also. It's very cute for a sewing area and I saw one in an antique store.
    As for washing the, the empty spools would be easy. If there is not much thread on them, I would treat them as empty. But I think if there is a lot of thread on them, they might get musty-smelling if dried slow. I wonder if you could dry them outside in the sunshine?
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and the ideas for my wooden spools. No, they don't have thread on them, but I wasn't sure if water would be good for them. I will certainly try washing them with less worry now, and dry them outside on the deck. Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Welcome welcome from Waco Texas
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Blog Entries
    I waited til there was a batch of whites that needed bleach-put the empty spools in a couple old pillow cases in the bottom of washer loaded the rest on top and let the machine do the rest. They were clean and nothing was damaged. I put them in the dish drainer to dry. Some of them were attached to a nice boards for the grand kids to hang their night cloths, on the back of their bedroom door and towels in the bath and kitchen.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from NE Ohio.

I bought a one gallon blue canning jar, filled it with wooden spools of thread, ordered a lamp kit from amazon and made a lamp for my sewing room.
    Karen in Kentucky

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I came across some spools w/o thread that needed to be clean. I put them in a zippered laundry bag and threw them in with some rags that needed to be laundered. Then into the dryer. If they're still a little damp when they come out, let them sit in a sunny window or area for a couple days. I also use the zippered laundry bag for strips and pieces of material for quilting. Old pillow cases work too.

pal
    I'd swish them in hot soapy water with a little clorox and air dry them. I had to make 60 needle cases for my club, and cut the wooden spools down the middle with my band saw, then glued the half spool on the needle case for decoration. They looked really cute!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

HI and welcome to the Board from Collierville, TN.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

I suggest brushing them off (outside) with a toothbrush before washing. A drop or 2 of beach is a good idea. I like the idea of sppols in a lamp base. Years ago I bought 2 lamps made to be filled with shells, but never did it.

I would add some bleach to the soapy water; maybe a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water(even if they have thread on them). This is what is used to prevent bacteria and viruses from growing. The thread will more likely not fade. I have used liquid bleach on hopelessly strained colored clothes(in a more concentrated solution) and not had a problem with fading. But just to be sure you can test it.

Like many of you, mine are in a big lamp made from an old jar.

Blog Entries

Wink

You can wash the wooden spool! soak it with dish detergent but not for too long! Check if the dirt or the dust comes off, if not, brush it with old toothbrush or not too harsh brush. If there's a sun that day dry it out or put it not direct to the sun, do the same with the thread, use the old thread, they're stronger and durable than today, just we hand more
    pretty color today!