Wool fabric

Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 AM

Default Wool fabric

I used to do a lot of garment construction. After a recent visit to a Pendleton outlet store I would like to try making a wool plaid jacket like one I saw there. It was way to expensive for my budget, but the design was fairly straightforward. I have tried to do web searches for wool garment fabric, but can't seem to locate any. Our Joanns has a very poor selection. Anyone have an idea of a source? I can't believe this product is not available.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 AM

Hi, DC,

Have you tried fashionfabricsclub.com? Going through their website is slow but they have a lot of fabrics, many weights and fabric content, and the prices aren't bad.

I have bought a lot of wool from Dorr Mills, they are in Maine or New Hampshire but they have a website and do mail orders. The wool I bought was undyed but I think they have colored fabric too.

At one time, I collected wool fabric to make a braided rug and I found a lot on eBay. Never did start the rug though...another project for the bucket list...

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Lore Lisa
Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Try Vogue fabric in Chicago.

sandy
Old 11-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I rephrased my search and came up with several including Fashion Fabric. I've decided buying garment fabric without touching it will not work for me, so I'm going to try another Joanns and whatever else I can find.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:24 AM

Ask your sources to mail you a Small sample. Even if you have to pay for a swatch, at least you will get to feel the wool. Never hesitate to ask. You may be surprised!

Moda makes wool by the bolt. Ask your local quilt shops if they have some. Shops that offer wool projects often stock basic colors for backgrounds. A thought.

sandy