Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 48 of 48

Thread: Word of warning!!!!

  1. #26
    Super Member Caswews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Posts
    5,312
    most definitly glad you weren't stung...

  2. #27
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    they make something now out of plastic, it snaps on the open can and has a top like a soda bottle, so you can keep it closed. Keeps the bubbles in too.

    here are some

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...soda+can+cover
    I actually have some of those ---- but I was drinking from a bottle that has it's own lid!!! The lid was here by the computer and the bottle was on the deck!!!!!!!! LOL Some of us just can't learn!

  3. #28
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchGirl
    This actually happened to a man at work and he had to go to the emerg. room and because of it being on co. time/work related etc. they did a standard drug test which he failed because he had been doing drugs! What are the chances of being found out like that??!! Glad you didn't get stung!!
    Man --- he REALLY had a bad day!!!

    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

  4. #29
    Senior Member bobbie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    862
    Blog Entries
    65
    That happened to my daughter. She was in 1st grade and went on field trip. Bee got down in can and she got stung!
    We buy only bottles now. Can put lids back on.

  5. #30
    Super Member grannypat7925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    5,449
    A stroke of luck. How about pouring your soda into a glass so you can see what's in it! I rarely drink soda but always pour it into a glass of ice.

  6. #31
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,456
    Blog Entries
    4
    that would be horrible, but I had a glass of iced tea and picked it up to find a litle green tree frog about to "sip" my tea! end of that glass of iced tea - but left it in an open dish if he happened to want more! lol

  7. #32
    Super Member Snorky Lvs2Quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    2,308
    I have a profound fear of bees, wasps, hornets, etc. Stems from a childhood incident. I will not drink from a soda can under any conditions, whether inside or outside. I will always pour my drink into a cup so I can see if there is any "undesireable" in it. Yikes!!

  8. #33
    a regular here countrycottage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gilmer, Texas
    Posts
    722
    So glad you weren't stung. I'm allergic to bees too.

  9. #34
    Super Member Sheila_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,000
    Wow, I see a bee around our deck I'm running inside I'm deathly allergic to them. I never drink directly out of any soda can I always use a straw so that might be my only saving grace. Glad you didn't get stung!

  10. #35
    Super Member BuzzinBumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    near Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    3,065
    Dee I would have freaked! Glad you didn't get stung!

    One time a friend told us that if we left wine cooler bottles with just a little bit of wine cooler left in them around the sides of the porch that it would attract all those nasty yellow jackets and that they would drown themselves in the bottles.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time, so we did it.
    Well that night we heard quite a ruckus going on. The next morning the bottles all had clawed off labels and were laying here and there all over the yard. The raccoons had themselves a party and must not have minded a bee or two in their beverages. :-D

  11. #36
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    14,090
    Not bad, bad roda. I've done the same thing, laughed when someone fell on the ice, or like your husband with the swollen lip, I even laugh when I fall, for me it's a nervous reaction and I can't help it. Once a can of tuna fell on my toe from a height of about 2 feet and the can landed on the corner. I was hopping around, laughing, cursing, our puppy was hiding behind DH and when my DH saw the tears, he knew I was hurt badly.

  12. #37
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,501
    my dad did that years ago and it stung him , his mouth was swollen for over a week !!!

  13. #38
    Super Member dixiebelle162002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    2,372
    Blog Entries
    2
    Oh no! Glad you are OK. :D

  14. #39
    Senior Member auniqueview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ft. Myers, Fl
    Posts
    584
    I am very allergic to bees, more so since when we moved down here, I was stung the night before we moved by a wasp, and ended up having to stop in Gulfport for treatment. We made it down here, then I had to return to St. Louis on a turn around. I was walking thru the gangway between the houses and was attacked by three yellow jackets. YIKES! Being on the meds already helped, but OMG. Docs said to beware of the bees from then on, because they could be fatal.

    So, of course we had a heavy bee infestation in the three big fir trees right in front of my front door. I couldn't leave the house by the front at all, and was in fear for my life. We called a bee keeper to see if he could come get them. He told us to get Dawn lemon dishsoap and put it in the lawn sprayer and spray the trees. We did, and the bees fell out and died. We hated to do it, but it was them or me.

    I was driving thru town one day and two bees flew into the car window, right at me. I threw it in park and leaped out, lol. A nice man got them out for me. I really should carry an epipen.

  15. #40
    Junior Member drw1mjw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Moline, IL
    Posts
    143
    Blog Entries
    1
    Same goes for beer. :)

  16. #41
    Super Member BettyGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,289
    Good tip, wouldn't have thought of that. I did once take a sip of coffee and had this funny thing in my mouth. It was a gnat, yuck! Well there is that old saying about eating a pound of dirt before we die, does that go for insects too?

  17. #42
    Super Member Rann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valdosta GA
    Posts
    1,963
    When we auctioned the possessions in my aunt's house, a girl did get bit on her tongue. Luckily Benadryl took care of it.

  18. #43
    Super Member Greenheron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Briery Mountain in WV
    Posts
    2,647
    Yellow jackets in open cans. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

  19. #44
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR via Hawaii
    Posts
    1,339
    I'm curious....what do you mean by "semi-allergic"?

    I know, I sound like Betty White's character on Golden Girls who asks...."Can I ask a dumb question?

    I always figured when it came to bee stings and penicillin it was an either or situation.

  20. #45
    Super Member RobertaMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    2,072
    Blog Entries
    2
    Oh, yuck! Nasty to find anything in your drink. Glad you are okay.

  21. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Niles, OH
    Posts
    241
    There was a local man that was golfing and he took a drink out of his pop can and he was stung. Unfornately he did die. But yes when we see someone who has been stung and has survived and has a big fat lip it is hard not to laugh.

  22. #47
    Senior Member nancy59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    370
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thank heavens you didn't get stung. I did that last year and I learned I can spit really good. Bee was still alive.

  23. #48
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,744
    There are different degrees of being allergic to anything, I work for an allergist. Some people get big red welts while I really don't get much of anything and the next person will be sent to the hospital, chest tightness and throat closing. Some people can just take a Benedryl and others need their Epi-pen, which only comes in a dual pack now, FYI. I don't need to take anything, a little baking soda maybe. It's just like with anything else, foods, trees, grasses whatever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.