Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: It worked and I got to see a movie!

Blog Entries

It worked and I got to see a movie!

I have seizure disorder that prevents me from going to the movies in a theater, because of the flashing lights as scenes change. When I heard about the release of the movie “Bohemian Rhapsody” I was determined to see it since Queen has always been my favorite music.
    I saw a commercial for some “Special Ops, HD vision, Polarized Sunglasses” that were $20, and I wondered if I could use them over my transitions regular glasses to sit in a theater. Our local little theater allowed me to go in and sit for five minutes to see if I could stay. They worked! I got to sit and watch the whole movie, (after I went back out and paid for my seat of course). Oh happy day! I can go to theaters again! Happy feet dance! I feel kind of conspicuous wearing big orange goggles, but whatever. I can watch movies and no seizures! I have not been in a theater since 1990 when I began having seizures. If this is an issue for you, please give them a try. See you at the theater. 😁
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    Glad you got to enjoy the movie. I was pleased it concentrated on the music and didn’t sensationalize Freddy’s personal life.

Very exciting! I really liked that movie too and I thought they did a great job. Glad you can see movies now.

That's wonderful! Really happy for you, CH.
    I heard that was a great movie! I need to see it.

How awesome for you! Congratulations on finding a solution and sharing the success for others.

Oh my I have the same condition and it just started 2 years ago. So I haven't been to see a movie since then. I will definitely try these glasses. Where did you purchase them? I guess I can google....lol

Blog Entries
    I am so very happy for you. And, by you telling this to us, it will allow us to understand if we see a person with the same type of eyewear. Rather than wondering what is wrong, I will be able to be thrilled for them!

Wonderful! Thank you for letting everyone know.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

but hey, in a dark theater who can tell what your eyewrear is... Congrats. I work with several folks who have seizures. This hint may help them.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

I'm so happy for you Kelly!

Now that is great news!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Wow, I'm so glad you found a solution that works for you. I don't get seizures but absolutely hate those flashes on shows and in movies. DH laughs at me because I close my eyes when Big Bang Theory comes on. I can't take the motion coming toward me. And I refuse to watch that Oak Island show because the flashes are thru out the show. I'll tell him to just tell me what happened. Enjoy your movies.

It’s wonderful that you found a solution to your problem watching movies in a theater.

What a thrill! I’m so happy for you! And if anyone adks about your big irange goggles, you can tell them all about how the technology has given you this gift if seeing movies again! And it might even be whatcsomeone rlse needs to hear to pass along to someone else with seizure disorder.

What a wonderful thing for you. I love movies. And there's nothing like going to a movie even though now most of mine are at home. Happy for your good fortune.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
    Oh my I have the same condition and it just started 2 years ago. So I haven't been to see a movie since then. I will definitely try these glasses. Where did you purchase them? I guess I can google....lol
    Walmart. Here in the Willamette Valley, they were &19.95.
    I wore them over my glasses that have transitions, so I am not sure how much was the glasses or the glasses with transitions and the glasses...

Try it. I am going to try and watch Queen concerts on YouTube with them.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 01-14-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I have macular degeneration. I found that an 'orange' sheet of acetate placed over my laptop screen really makes working on the computer a whole lot better. BIG difference - less eyestrain. I am going to give these glasses a try. Thank you Madamekelly for sharing.

Chance

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thank you for sharing this--our DIL has a seizure disorder and while meds keeps it in check mostly, some things like lights can really set it off. So my question is did you get the darker sunglasses or the yellow,night vision ones?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    thank you for sharing this--our DIL has a seizure disorder and while meds keeps it in check mostly, some things like lights can really set it off. So my question is did you get the darker sunglasses or the yellow,night vision ones?
    I bought the darker ones. Please save your receipt in case they do not work for you. That is what I did.