working as a temp question

Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm currently working in a full-time temp position, for 3 weeks so far. I have 2 interviews scheduled in the next few days for different full time permanent jobs. IF I were to accept a job offer, what is the protocol for giving notice as a temp??

Anybody know? I'm not holding my breathe because back in April/May, I intereviewed with 3 different firms & nothing came of those. It just seems when you're working, that's when jobs come. Just wondering what anyone's experience was.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 PM

There really isn't one. They understand you are a temp, so no notice is expected. Are you working through an agency? If so, and if you want to stay in their good graces, you should let them know a few days in advance. They will certainly have someone else to send to the job...that's what they're for!! :-) Good luck finding a permanent job.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Personally, I would do the same as if it were a permanent job -- 2 weeks notice. I'm not sure about anyone else, but that's what I would do. It just seems to be the proper thing to do. I've never worked as a temp so I'm not speaking from experience. :wink:
Old 07-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Pam

I am sure that there are many right behind you at the temp agency hoping for a few days work! They would LOVE to see you just give a couple of days notice, a boon to them, I am sure.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM

I would do a 2 week notice. If you are with an agency, tell them first. They need to find your replacement. They may also want to be the one to inform your employer you are leaving, as your employer is their client. Good luck! After temping myself, an opeing has come up in the deparment I am working in. I applied for it today! I really think some jobs are going to open up now. A few at a time, but job nonetheless.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 PM

I worked for nursing agencys as a temp years ago.
Ask the agency. They know everyone that is there is looking for full time work. So this happens often.
But from my experience they only require 24 hrs notice that you can not work.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Wow! You ladies are quick! This temp job is thru the end of the year - that's all they have mgmt approval for. As of right now, there are no plans to create a position.

They were looking for a specific skill & I had it listed on my resume. I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they've hatched! If it comes to an offer, I'll work it out. I just want an offer for a good job LOL
Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM

In today's day and age where if a job is offered and you don't take it immediately there's 200 other applicants that will. I'd ask the new employer when they wanted me to start. If they said, "We need you tomorrow." I'd say, "Excuse me just one moment I need to let the people I'm temping for know that they need to hire someone else." And I'd call them on my cell. You probably won't find out that soon anyway but I'd sure take any full time permanent job offered.

I just noticed that you're in Michigan. Jobs are hard to find there so if you get one, grab it.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Pam

Best of luck Carrie! Let us know if you get the job!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Ask your temp agency. They're really the ones employing you. I bet they have some protocol or guidelines. You want to leave in good standing. Good luck!