Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would be grateful if you could say a sewing machine you liked.

I love my Bernina and would go for the best one I could for what I could spend. The dealers often have refurbished and reconditioned used machines that are still wonderful machines. That would be my first choice. I have been quilting for 25 years and that's my advice. However, I do NOT quilt the big quilts myself like queen sized or even twins they go to long arm ladies.

I am loving my Janome 8900. It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
    Hi...my sewing machine's motor died and I have to start looking for a new one. I know I need to do a test drive at the dealer but was wondering if you would be kind enough to mention what machine you like. I didn't use any of the fancy stitches on my old machine. I know the dealer sells Bernina, Babylock, Singer and Juki.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

A weekend without my machine.
    Ask about lessons. My Bernina dealer gives lessons on the Bernina but not the Bernitte. Also, repair service is really important to me. Ask if the machine is kept in the shop or sent out. I bought a Singer, a JoAnn's anniversary special from their on line site. It didn't work. I would have had to FedEx it to Florence, SC or somewhere in KY for the warranty work. The person on the line kept telling me what could possibly be wrong. At that point I just wanted rid of it. She finally told me that they were only repair. I would have to get in touch with JoAnn's on line. I did. They took it back, emailed me all the labels, paperwork etc for Fed Ex to pick it up and I got all my money back. Never again do I order on line. When buying a machine....sew, touch, ask questions, sew some more.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    Is this the PQ1500S? That is all I see when I search online. I'm sorry I didn't buy this or the comparable Juki. I was lured into the Janome 7700 by the harp size but I paid a lot of money for features I never use. I'm currently considering buying a second machine as a backup and Brother is one that I would consider.
    I have the Brother PQ1500S and love it! But keep in mind it is a straight stitch only. It sells for $599 at Amazon. Look it up and read the reviews.

love my Juki

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I love my Juki TL98Q. Lots of throat space to stuff your quilt when you are machine quilting. You won't go wrong with the Juki!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Janome 7700

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Janome here.. I have 3 of them and like and use them all.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

The first thing to do is determine what it is that you want your machine to do. If you spend 95% of your time piecing and straight stitching, it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive machine with every bell and whistle. Perhaps two different machines which might be a lot cheaper would suit your needs better. I bought a Juki TL98Q which I love and use most of the time. It is fast, powerful and has a wonderful stitch making it perfect for piecing and quilting. For the few times I need my fancy stitches, I bought a used Husqvarna #1 Plus with all kinds of stitches for $200. For an investment of less than $1000 (Juki was slightly used and discounted) I can do anything. I didn't want to pay thousands for a machine that did it all.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    When funds are limited for sewers, I always recommend you check with local dealer of the top end machines and see what they have in the way of used machines. Just like cars, there are people who can afford to trade up every year or two and do. Why not benefit from those trade ins. Check the quality machines with low miles, before settling for cheap and new. JMHO Have fun sewing on your new machine.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Sparky's Mom: Yes that's the same machine. It doesn't actually have the PS on the machine itself. When I checked on line to look at it, found it on Amazon for $509. Wow that's a great price!
    That really is a great price. There is a local dealer here and I'd probably rather purchase from them just for the support, but this machine is really in the running as far as I'm concerned. One of my beefs on the Janome is the dealer went out of business six months after I bought my machine and I've been left with no support.
    Pat

I have very limited experience but I love my Viking Saphire. Got it at a great sale price and have had wonderful customer support from the dealer.

Blog Entries
    A dealer for support is important, needle up/down, weight as I sew with gals at different houses. I am lucky to have a Bernina quilting model and a Designer SE.........depends on what I am working on as to which machine I use........calla

Love my Janome 6600. Sews like a dream

dms
    I have a Viking Diamond Deluxe, but if I didn't have that, I'd get a Bernina.

Personally I would check out Brother and Pfaff. I have several friends who swear by Brother, I have a Pfaff that I love (old one and the new passport for classes) I also have a Bernina 730 which I love but the new ones are really out there in price and the lower end ones have a smaller harp space than any other brand.

Blog Entries
    I've had a BabyLock Pro for 20 years, never even been professionally serviced. It runs great.
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

I have 2 older Berninas: 930 is about 30 yrs old and 1031 that's 22 years old. Both machines still sew very well haven't needed any major repairs. I also have an old Pfaff 1222E that was made in the late 1970s, still works great too. Consider an older machine that has been well cared for. I'm not much for the new "plastic wonders". Most of the machines I sew with are older than I am.
    Sharon
    Last edited by purplefiend; 07-21-2014 at 10:07 AM.

I have a Janome 6500 Memory Craft - 12 years old and still working fine. Computerized, fancy stitches, etc,, bobin winder, knee lifter, clear plastic door to the bobin let's you see how much thread is left on the bobin. The only thing I don't like about it is the bobbin case rattles sometimes. Very annoying. I've had it in the shop several times over the years for this problem. I have recently purchased a Juki2010Q - straight stitch only, very fast, and a beast for free motion quilting. The ONLY thing I don't like about this machine is there is no clear window/door so you cannot see the bobin/how much thread is left. That, however, did not keep me from buying it. I have absolutely no regrets about the Juki. Hope this helps.

I absolutely love my Bernina Aurora. But I love sewing on my vintage Pfaff too, they are good machines. I sewed on a Baby Lock at a class and that was great too. Test all of them and see what they have that you need.

Janome. I have a 4800 that's bout 15 years old and it is a wonderful machine. I believe the newer Janomes are just as good. froggyintexas

I have two Berninas the quilters edition 550, which is a workhorse, it has the Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR) which I find very helpful. I have had it for about 2 years now, and very very happy with the performance and maintenance of this quality machine. It is very easy to use, and has many stitches if you would like to utilize those, they are very easy to access and stitch up very nice. It has a larger throat for quilting, and I have FMQ on many since I purchased sane.

There is only one problem with the bernina, if the tension goes all to heck, all you need to do is to rethread top thread and that will probably solve the issues. Easy fix for those issues, which are rare. I have a Janome as well, and I don't like it for quilting - the bobbin doesn't like to FMQ, I was told it is the bobbin laying on its side which causes those issues.

I also own the Bernina 830 LE, however I wouldn't recommend you touch this one, as it has a big learning curve and none of the other bernina bobbins will work in this machine, the bobbins are larger. Best of Luck in your search for the right one for you!!
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Another point about Brother sewing machines - their user guides/manuals are excellent! And that is true for the less expensive models, too.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

My favorite machine for patchwork is a 1959 singer 15-91 . It just does the best job.

Singer vintage is great. I have always preferred Brother machines and I also have a Juki that I am not real good friends with, but I didn't get to know it before it went on a frame.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast