Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would like help in finding a retirement community........ >

Would like help in finding a retirement community........

Would like help in finding a retirement community........

Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Hi.....my husband thinks I'm nuts but, told him if he wanted some real help in finding us a new home, I needed to ask my Quilting Board Friends for assistance....if you all can't steer me in the right direction....it Can't be done! I would appreciate so much any help I could get!

My husband is planning to retire the first of the year and we love the Panhandle of Texas but would like to be where there are trees and water, and get closer to our children who live in Denton and Austin.....thought around Waco would be a good central location to homestead. We have a contract on his house in Borger, and mine went on the Market yesterday.....so now we need to start getting information pro's and con's of the central Texas area. We want a 3 bedroom home, 2 baths, garage, about 1800 sq ft and at least 1/2 acre of land to park our fifth wheel and maybe grow a garden and we would like a smaller community (He has always lived in a small town, and I have really learned to appreciate smaller towns in the last three years).

?????? does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM

gets awfully hot in Texas
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Around the Waco area would be between the two children and on Hwy 35 I lived in Waco for awhile a few years ago and have family and friends there that have lived there all their lives.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM

We love the Kerrville area. Right in the middle of Texas. All the amenities you could want and the beautiful Texas Hill Country at your doorstep. About 290 miles from Denton and 103 miles from Austin. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Waco and it is pretty much in the middle between the kiddos less than 130 miles from each. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
gets awfully hot in Texas
Yes, I know.... here in the Texas Panhandle it gets up to 107 degrees, BUT it does not have the humidity central has.......after this summer, I do worry about it SOME, but not enough to run from the idea!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Waco has the worse tasting water in the state! Try a small outlying town with its own water supply that comes from well water, not from the lakes around Waco. There are dozens to choose from and all will be close to the medical hospitals. Or make sure you select a place that has a good well of your own.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM

That's the kind of things we need to know about! Thanks TanyaL! We drove through West and it was very appealing. Doesn't hurt that my great great grandfather moved there from Missouri and is buried there as well....that is how I knew about West.

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Waco has the worse tasting water in the state! Try a small outlying town with its own water supply that comes from well water, not from the lakes around Waco. There are dozens to choose from and all will be close to the medical hospitals. Or make sure you select a place that has a good well of your own.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM

We were in Round Rock until we retired.Then we moved to College Station. We chose it because we have family in Tomball, just out from Houston, a son in Round Rock, Kirbyville and Coleman. We have property on Lake Limestone. We were looking for ammenities like medical, Home Depot, lowe's, A QUILT STORE, Joann's, HEB really nice grocery store, Activities, culture. It is not a problem to get around Texas from here. We have been here a little over a yr and everyone is very friendly. Our utilities are not bad, resturants are everywhere. There is a mall, an airport.If I can help send me a pm
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Agreed. I am in the china spring isd, love it!!!