Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Would love to take a cruise...which cruise lines do you like, which ones should I avoid?

Blog Entries
    Went to Alaska on Holland , loved the trip flew to Vancouver and came back to Anchorage on the domed top train. I would suggest Holland first and then Princess but not Carnival. I have been on their cruises but that is more of a family cruise, nothing wrong with that, I just loved Holland and how we were treated.

I have been on MSC (Italian), Princess several times, and will be going on the queen Mary II very soon. Liked Princess a lot, not sure about MSC (Everyting was in 5 languages) and I have been told that QMII is the very best. Can't wait to find out.

I have taken a number of cruises on several cruise lines. My two favorites are Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Stay clear of Carnival!

Blog Entries
    MY First cruise ever was on Carnival we had a great time , nothing wrong with it. I also went in March on Carnival but that is a bad time because all the college kids are on and is very busy.Other wise I have no real complaints and if you do they will take care of you.Don't fret just go on and enjoy your cruise and make your own opinion, BON VOYAGE

Hello don't really know what to tell you... my husband and I are taking our first cruise in March of 12 , and we are going with another couple that have been on cruises before..they swear by Princess so we are all booked to go to the Western Caribbean on the Crown Princess... can't wait, it is going to be so much fun..... Good Luck on finding your cruise...

The cruise down the Rhine is a nice one...

Several years ago we took a Barefoot Cruise to the Caribbean. It was the best! Good food, very casual and only 55 on board including the crew. It was an old sailing ship build in the 1930s. Wonderful experience!

Depends on what type of cruising you want to do - we do not care for Carnival and definitely not Disney. My family is into the "old fashioned" dress up cruising, not the new relaxed, might as well stay at home, cruising. We have done several (4 Carib, 1 Mexico, 1 Alaska - NCL, Princess and Carnival.) We prefer Princess.

Other suggestion - don't book shore excursions ahead of time unless it is something you absolutely can't pass up! Don't fee as if you have to do ship activities at every port call. It is easy enough, usually, to get around the ports on your own, relax a little, and not spend quite so much money.

If your ship offers soda cards (I think they all do now,) and you are soda drinkers, buy one! Check to see if it covers juices. Some do, some don't.

Most cruise lines now cover your tips in your fare, make sure you find out. If not, and you leave tips, that will be a lot of extra money! Now, if you get exceptional service from someone, it would be nice to give a little extra, even if the normal tip is covered.

Have fun!!

We are taking a Royal Caribbean International - Voyager of the Seas cruise in February, I hope it is good! Never been on a cruise before and get very motion sick in all types of moving vehicles!! YIKES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    My husband and I would really like to take a cruise..7-10 days to Alaska, or the Caribbean.
    We would prefer a cruise that caters to adults, rather than young families.
    We have been looking into Oceania cruises which look particularly nice, 2 for 1 fares, free airfare, all inclusive.
    I'm hoping some of you have cruised and will have some advice to share. Thanks.
    ;)
    I live in south florida where many cruise lines are based. We often see/hear on the local news about ships returning with many (if not all) of the passengers sick ... there is a virus (flu-like) that spreads very quickly in such an environment... they "clean" the ship when it gets back to port only to have the next group come back sick also... so if you are going to the caribbean do some research on the cruise lines first... and then have lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Antdebby1
    Oh geez...all the bad news about Carnival! I leave in two weeks for a Carnival cruise (quilting cruise with Bonnie Hunter). This will be my first cruise and I am determined it will be wonderful!
    I haven't had a vacation in 14 yrs.
    Antdebby1.......

Please read my above post.......

if I have returned to Carnival 17 times, it can't be bad........we have made lots of new friends...adults........and have enjoyed it each time as much as the time before.

I know that you will enjoy your cruise, especially since it is a quilting one........and one can always cold-shoulder the bad and enjoy the good............, have a wonderful trip.

Happy sailing and quilting........

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats
    Stear clear of Carnival in the Caribbean. I took a 4 day, 3 night cruise and it was full of kids and more kids. Folks were not very friendly and they pushed past me and my elderly mother to get on the elevator. The crew was worse. During the life jacket drill they yelled at both me and Mom for not having our life jackets done just so.
    AMEN! I've taken two on Carnival and never again. They have to be the worst. I've heard Norweigan is good but I've never been on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antdebby1
    Oh geez...all the bad news about Carnival! I leave in two weeks for a Carnival cruise (quilting cruise with Bonnie Hunter). This will be my first cruise and I am determined it will be wonderful!
    I haven't had a vacation in 14 yrs.
    I live ten minutes away from the port in Fort Lauderdale Fl.We cruise twice a year and have been on many different ships including carnival.I have always been treated well on that line.The children have never bothered me. They have a separate pool and hot tub area for adults.If you dont like kids you probably wont like crusing.I have been on over 40 and have never been on a ship with out them.I would love to be on that cruise with you!Have fun.

We went on Carnival Cruise Line to the Caribbean...did not like it that much - too much noise and lots of kids.
    We went to Alaska on the Princess Cruise Line and it was fabulous. There were very few kids and they were very well behaved. The whole cruise was a dream. We are going again in 2012 on Princess to Alaska. It was a vacation that is well worth repeating. Happy sailing!!

Blog Entries
    We like both Royal Carib and Princess. We took one NCL cruise and was not impressed with them. We also took one Azamara cruise and it was ok, but it was very small, some people like the smaller ships but we didn't.

Three cruses to Alaska on Norwegian loved each one treated like royalty.Highley recommended.

Carnival - not good for adults. Too many children underfoot and very noisy gambling area right on deck.
    Royal Caribbean - great trip. Had inside cabin but it faced down into center mall so had floor-to-ceiling window into mall area so didn't feel confined.
    Celebrity - Panama Canal trip. Great line, wonderful service and food. Definitely adult oriented, especially seniors. Lots of cabins for those with wheelchairs, etc. Possibly boring for younger adults.
    MSC - Wouldn't recommend. Everything 5 languages, which gets old on trips out of Florida where almost everyone speaks English. Food was mostly good, but focused on Italian (lots of garlic). Service was spotty. Workers were mainly Indonesian. Didn't speak much English but worked their tushes off (checked and cleaned our cabin twice a day). Head bees were mostly Italian and specialized in walking around the ship in their spiffy white uniforms. Head bees also ran the services sector for cruisers. You had to line up to book tours. Often saw dozens of people lined up only to be told there weren't enough openings, or even saw the booking agent close the window on them just because it was his quitting time. If you wanted a cocktail during the day you had to search the ship to find which bar was open, etc.

Would recommend getting a balcony if you can afford it. Expands the size of a small cabin and is very peaceful.

Blog Entries
    Always wanted to go on a cruise. Will keep this advice in mind should the dream come true.

Check online and with your LQS as they frequently have "quilting" cruises to Alaska. I prefer Holland America because they seem to cater to an older crowd, not as many children or teenagers. Quilting cruises are really fun and sometimes don't cost any more than a regular cruise. You can sign up to take as many or as few classes as you want -- always have time to sew -- and it's fun being with others who enjoy your same hobby. On top of all that, you usually visit quilt shops in every port.

After retiring my hubby & I have taken two cruises. Both on Holland American ( one just to Canada the other to Alaska)It was so nice to see the same crew medmbers...and very surprising. My sister & hubby lives in Seattle so we drove to Seattle and took the cruise with them and then sprent a week with them on Bainbridge Island before returning to Phoenix. We plan to take a Hawaii cruise for our 50th on Holland American in 2012 - Hope you have a relaxing trip which every line you choose.

Only been on Holland America. The cruise was a European cruise. I was with my mother, brother, and his wife. It was a 2 week cruise. Had a wonderfultime. The service was wonderful and the food was fantastic. I would go on another cruise with them.

All the carnival bashing :(

My husband and I went on a carnival cruise to Mexico to celebrate his homecoming when he returned home from Iraq. We loved it. Fabulous service. Everything was wonderful. We are in our 20's and we felt severally out numbered. The people our age were few and far between. The average age was 45+ There were a few families with children but very very few. And definitely not enough kiddos to ruin our trip. There was always lots going on. We had a balcony suite that was absolutely beautiful. We would definitely cruise with them again

My dh and I returned 2 weeks ago from an inside passage of Alaska tour on Norwegian. There were lots of families and children aboard, but they didn't bother us. The service was wonderful and the food was good. The restaurants, with no cover charges, were great and the market grill foods were fairly common, but I enjoyed every bit of it. My dh was bothered because there was a lot of fog, and he couldn't see the land. For a first cruise, I was elated. But I would try another line, if we went again.

We have done seveal cuises with Holland America and they are fantastic! We did a two week cruise to Alaska with them last fall,..we both want to do it again. Going on two week Panama Canal cruise with them in February. I dont think you could go wrong with them. Immaculately clean, fantastic crews, food, NO COMPLAINTS.

Royal Caribbean is the cruise line that we went on and it was great!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast