Would you let an 11 y.o.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:55 PM

If the irl is mature for age I would let her go...if not then say no.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 PM

If it is a reliable tour group it would be a great time for some bonding and stories between generations and once in a lifetime Trip something that would last in the young girls memory for years
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM

I would have loved a trip to England at that age or any other for that matter but I sure wouldn't have wanted to go with my GGM, I would have felt like I was being sent along as a caretaker and would have not wanted to stay in the room while GGM slept. I would have wanted to be exploring not stuck in a room as soon as dinner was over.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM

My Gramma was more alert at 98 then I am at 55 by the time I was 11 I was more responsible than my 19 yo brother I wouldn"t have a problem letting my kiddo go as long as they know the rules
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Now-a-days I could not in good conscious let her go. Kids are too precious to take that chance. We lived in Germany for 9 years and traveled and took tours, all over.Even on tours, things happen.My daughter almost 11 and I went to Spain and on the way back The air conditioning went out and we drove most of the way to Frankfurt with the doors open. Scared us to death. We sat in back of the driver.[I get car sick if I sit in back.] My Daughter got sunburned[as did some of the younger adults-a medical Army Unit]So they were all so hot and no air. Then when I took her[at 11] and a friend to Holland, A man stole her purse right off her shoulder. I was next to her. She just cried and cried. She was so scared. In Italy A soldier with our tour lost his wallet by a child pick pocket. They also would come up to you and beg for $ for food and then run to their mothers, give them the $ and go right out again. I am sorry to say but things DO happen on tours. Even with a tour and an older person, I just couldn't let her go. I would worry myself sick. Not to mention my DH would say NO WAY!! Just do what YOUR gut tells you to do and PRAY everything is ok. Just ask a lot of questions. Good Luck!!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 PM

I think it would be a wonderful time for her to be able to travel with her elderly relative. She will gain a lot of confidence and knowledge and also have the pleasure of the older lady's company. She may not have too many opportunities to do this as her relative is elderly and the memories would be treasured There is nor reason to think that anything negative would happen, but measures could be put in place just in case. When children travel unaccompanied on aeroplanes etc. I know that the staff is on extra alert to be watchful so if anything untoward should happen to G grandma, your daughter only needs to approach the authorities with any information and she would be perfectly OK. I was 13 when I travelled independently and also with my Grandmother at other times, and that is only a couple of years older than your daughter is now. I only speak from my own experience but you best know the level of maturity of your own daughter and her ability to cope with the travel. All the best with your decision.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM

I'v been thinking of this all evening and frankly I'm wondering why she feels she needs us to give her good reasons to use.

If she has concerns she should address them to her ex.
Who are we to know if there are more serious issues behind her reluctance to willingly let her daughter go. Obviously the GGM is a paternal one.

If I could I'd delete my previous comments so Mom could deal with it on her own.
I don't know her or any of the parties involved., so I have no way of honestly having an opinion.
Sorry.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
I'v been thinking of this all evening and frankly I'm wondering why she feels she needs us to give her good reasons to use.

If she has concerns she should address them to her ex.
Who are we to know if there are more serious issues behind her reluctance to willingly let her daughter go. Obviously the GGM is a paternal one.

If I could I'd delete my previous comments so Mom could deal with it on her own.
I don't know her or any of the parties involved., so I have no way of honestly having an opinion.
Sorry.
have to agree with you
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM

I wouldn't allow mine to go at that age! What if something should happen to the child? What if she gets homesick? (I know I did at that age and I was mature).
Too far from home and too much responsibilty for both, the 11yr old and the great grandma!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 AM

I think it depends upon the group as well as how adult is the 11 year old. If there is someone who is in charge of the group willing to help care for this 11 year old in case anything happens to ggrandma then I think it is great. On other hand.... ANY THING can happen to a 30 year old taking a small child, how many times have you heard of a child not being allowed to come back? IN this situtation? I've never heard of a negative.... death can happen to anyone re: of age.