Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wow did I do something stupid today!

Wow did I do something stupid today!

I was at work and since it was slow I had my sewing out, cutting squares for the log cabin I'm making for my daughter so of course I had the iron out and on. I bumped the ironing board and knocked the iron into the concrete floor and broke a piece off the bottom. I went to inspect the damage and grabbed the hot iron surface with my left hand- totally not even thinking about it- and blistered 3 fingers and the palm of my hand. It's so painful and I can't believe how dumb that was. I knew the iron was on!!

Anyone else have any silly-painful mistakes in the sewing room?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Similar ... Instead of looking to see if my iron was plugged in and hot, I instead put my finger tips to the surface. It was indeed hot, and it was my right (dominant) hand.

You had an ironing board, and iron at WORK??

I want that job!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    pull the pan out of the oven and was burned through the potholder so if course I just reached over with the other hand which was bare. That hurt.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    yep, yep, yep. take care of that burn though. seriously.
    i wouldn't drop the glass lid to my corning ware dish even though it was hot!! it was glass!! so i know where you're coming from, blisters!!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I seem to have a bad habit of grabbing cookie sheets right out of the oven. Just cookies. I guess I just can't wait.

wow that must a hurt. make up a rice bad . and keep in freezer for burns it does work.keep on burn for a few minutes..
    ​debra

So sorry to hear you burned your hand it's so easy to do. I think my worst burns came from my hot glue gun just can't get it off the fingers until it's blistered. I so feel for you. Try to take care of it if it's blisterd bad maybe you should have it looked at in case they can give you something that will help with the pain. Take care. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
    wow that must a hurt. make up a rice bad . and keep in freezer for burns it does work.keep on burn for a few minutes..

what is a "rice bad" and how does it help burns???
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

I can feel your pain.. I tried to grab my hot iron I bumped and was falling to the floor.... the last time I ever did that. Hope you heel quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Similar ... Instead of looking to see if my iron was plugged in and hot, I instead put my finger tips to the surface. It was indeed hot, and it was my right (dominant) hand.

You had an ironing board, and iron at WORK??

I want that job!

I'm the office manager for my husband's business and after the paperwork is done and there are no calls to answer, I get to pull out my portable sewing machine, iron, etc and SEW!! I love my job!

Fingers are hurting major right now so I think I'll go take some tylenol. Night ya'll!

I think we can all relate! I hate getting stuff out of the microwave knowing there will be steam and pull the lid off and right up your arm or face it goes. or my bad habit of hitting my arm on the other rack in the oven.
    OH, the risks we women must face each day. LOL
    Country 1

When I was a teenager, I was ironing a blouse I was planning on wearing. I was in my underwear at the time and ran the iron right into my stomach. Yep that hurt.

Ouch! Kinda reminds me of the time I was spot-welding on the pay-phone housing line at work. The temps for the welders would get up to close to 1000 deg. for the welding. One day, I had to use a Kleenex, so I took my really thick gloves off and promptly picked up the housing (that I had just welded) off of the machine -- or rather, I started to take it off! It only took a fraction of a second for big blisters to develop on my fingertips. What I really remember about that day, is it was a Friday, and I had to play the organ at a wedding that night!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Ouch Debbie, that sounds so painful! My fingers feel a bit better this morning. The intense burning has stopped and now they're just hyper sensetive to touch. But I'm determined to get those logs cut for my daughter's quilt!

Yes, Kentuckyred, they did hurt for quite a while, and it wasn't easy playing that organ that night with fresh burns, either! It was about 32 yrs. ago, and I can still feel the queasy feeling in my stomach when I think about it. Hopefully you will get over yours very soon! By the way, the nurse at work that day, told me to go the pharmacy and ask for something called "Foille" (I think) for burns. It was behind the counter, and it helped a lot.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    I do stupid things all the time. Once I burned y arm reaching over the iron then turned around and did the same thing. I have 2 nice scars on my left arm. Do you think that cured me of doing stupid things? Wrong
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Oooo, my DH was putting a deck on the back of our house. He had all the boards laid out to show me he said remember this are not nailed down yet. With that I preceded to step on the edge of a board which tipped up as I slid down hitting my shin on a support beam and I thought for sure I broke my leg. It tow about six weeks to heal. Limb around for a long time. Every time we and the girls talk about this they laugh them selves silly!

I think she meant rice pad not bad .

Because I am a natural klutz and seem to be prone to burns, I will not live without aloe growing in my home. It has saved me untold pain. You just break off a stem and spread the juice from the inside over the wound.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by joyce j View Post
    I think she meant rice pad not bad .
    Or did she mean rice bag? lol I don't have enough room here to tell about all my scars and burns from irons and ovens!
    Last edited by Homespun; 11-09-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: add something
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyred View Post
    I was at work and since it was slow I had my sewing out, cutting squares for the log cabin I'm making for my daughter so of course I had the iron out and on. I bumped the ironing board and knocked the iron into the concrete floor and broke a piece off the bottom. I went to inspect the damage and grabbed the hot iron surface with my left hand- totally not even thinking about it- and blistered 3 fingers and the palm of my hand. It's so painful and I can't believe how dumb that was. I knew the iron was on!!

Anyone else have any silly-painful mistakes in the sewing room?
    How about burning your tongue with a hot glue gun? When they first hit the market, I was helping make Christmas wreaths for our foundation party. It was my first time working with a hot glue gun, so if course I hit my thumb with the gun, full of glue, and it BURNED!! Well my first reaction to a burned thumb was, of course, to stick it in my mouth! Burned the devil out of my tongue, much to the amusement of my co-workers. Of course it made the newsletter.

Blog Entries
    Yep been there done that many many times. My worst one was taking cornbread out of the oven, my mitt was to thin and the iron skillet seared it and me . DH says as he is running cold water on my burn ''Why didn't you let go'' There was no way to explain to him that (A) I'd have to clean up the mess (B) I'd have to start all over with a burnt hand (C) dinner would be delayed and the in-laws would be around later then I wanted them to be.

I can relate to all the dumb things, I believe I have done them all in my 78 years. I grab an egg and separate the white and yellow, slightly beat the white and spread on the burned area. You can do it several times. It works!

Lu in TN

Many, many years ago when I was in high school, I would put a marshmallow on a fork to toast over the gas range. Took the marshmallow off and there was still some on the fork. Couldn't let it go to waste, so I stuck the fork in my mouth and pulled it between my teeth to get the rest off. My tongue touched it and I had blisters on my tongue to match the tines on the fork.

Blog Entries
    an immediate whipping up of an egg white will ease it right up and stop scarrig. It is somehow something like the stuff within us that grows new skin cells. Good first aid remedy for a burn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast