Writing a thank you note

Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 AM

Here is a copy of a column by Miss Manners on thank you notes. I thought that since we have had many threads of discussion on giving quilts without ever receiving any acknowledgements that we would be interested in her opinion on the subject.

Dear Miss Manners,
My 24-year-old son has just advised me that sending thank-you notes is no longer necessary. He states this is a generational thing, and while my generation (you and me) think a thank-you note is required when a gift is given, his does not. He has polled his friends and they agree.

I am appalled to have just learned that he did not send thank-you notes to all those who attended his wedding two years ago. When I mentioned this to my daughter-in-law, she just shrugged. And had no comment. I know he sent notes to a few, as I asked him to do Grandmas etc. first, but evidently the reason my offer to help address envelopes for them was not taken up was they didn't send thank-yous.

Can you provide current evidence of proper custom in this matter? And if a thank-you is still required would they be too late to send them now?

Gentle Reader,
Here is a bit of news for your son the etiquette authority:

Generosity and gratitude are indissolubly linked. They always have been and they always will be.

No doubt he and his friends make an apparently high-minded argument that people ought to give for the pure joy of giving, with no expectation of any return. Do they not imagine that this joy might be tempered by not knowing if the present was even received, let alone whether it had the intended effect of pleasing the recipient?

And do they seek such joy themselves, sending out presents to people they never hear from? Incidentally, when was the last time your son had the joy of sending his grandmother a present?

While it is much too late to save him and his wife from being thought to be boors, there is no statute of limitations that now frees them from the obligation. If he were to undertake the task, he should not make excuses --the declaration of being busy just irritates those who took the time to be kind -- but humbly apologize and write about how much the present has been appreciated all this time, and that it always makes him think of them.

Miss Manners does not have a lot of faith that he will do this. At any rate, tell him from her that ingrates are barred from fooling with the rules.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 AM

well said - I LOVE Miss Manners!!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I think it is very poor manners to not send thank you notes to people who have been so generous to you. That's the way I was brought up.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 AM

I agree 100%!!! If nothing else it will allow the sender to know that the gift was received! I do not know what happened to manners! They seem to have gone away! So many of the things that I grew up with, the values (& manners) that were instilled within me seem to be a thing of the past. It is a sad world we live in now.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 AM
dd

The other things is, if they do write a TY it just says thank you for the gift. That doesn't say that they actually know what you gave them. I always told my kids that the gift must be mention in the TY so the giver know that you know what they gave you and not just a pile of gifts.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 AM

I totally agree!!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

Unfortunately, this is just more evidence of what a ME, ME, ME society the younger generations are becoming. They EXPECT to be GIVEN anything that pleases them, but it never occurs to them to be appreciative - w/even a verbal TY, let alone a small TY note.

We have become a selfish society, thanks to so many believing they are 'entitled' to everything, without owing anything (even a TY) in return.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 AM

The generation of entitlement is among us. So sad.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kountrykreation
The generation of entitlement is among us. So sad.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
well said - I LOVE Miss Manners!!
ditto x 10