Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Written or Video Tutorials??

Written or Video Tutorials??

Which do you prefer? My husband goes straight to YouTube if he need to learn how to do anything new, from car mechanics to re-roofing houses. His dad is the exact same: YouTube is the go-to. Myself personally, I way prefer a written tutorial. I don't need to click pause and refresh if I didn't understand exactly what was said the first time. I can reread over and over and I can easily keep the page open or bookmarked for later reference. And I absolutely hate the classic YouTube "First off, make sure you have unplugged your device..." Ten seconds later, the person says the same thing " So make sure your device is unplugged, and then you grab this thingy here... Ummm, let's see... Ah, here we go... " Yep, it would have been far clearer if I could have read it with proper names!

So, anyone else? Which do you prefer?
    Last edited by NZquilter; 09-14-2018 at 05:05 AM.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    i learned to read a very loooooong time ago.
    i do not like - at all - the current trend of "dumbing everything down" to a video or audio format.
    we are being molded into a culture of vidiots.

that said, there is value in a written tutorial, to which i can refer conveniently, accompanied by a video demonstration.
    having written a few tutorials myself i know you can't photograph every single step and something important can get left out.

let me read .... my books, my news, my "whatever."
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Power Poster
    I would rather watch how something is done rather then read about it.

I do both, but I like written instructions too. Sometimes a video tutorial is great.

I watch the videos but find they often waste my time with slow introductions, hand movements, and amateur video skills. Get to the point already!

I do like written instructions. There is an art to writing instructions that are clear and concise so one can follow along. Think how often patterns have mistakes or leave us confused.

It is also important that instructions are easy to read. Bullet lists and numbered steps are more visually pleasing than paragraph structure with sentences all lumped together.

It's great to have choices!

Prefer written for most things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    i learned to read a very loooooong time ago.
    i do not like - at all - the current trend of "dumbing everything down" to a video or audio format.
    we are being molded into a culture of vidiots...
    Patrice, please tell us how you really feel LOL !
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    ...there is value in a written tutorial, to which i can refer conveniently, accompanied by a video demonstration.
    having written a few tutorials myself i know you can't photograph every single step and something important can get left out.

let me read .... my books, my news, my "whatever."
    this is how I feel also.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I like both. I like to have written as a reference point, but I have come to the realization that I am more of a visual learner. If something in the written directions stumps me I watch a video to clarify.

I read all the time but when it comes to instructions I love visuals. Youtube has been a huge help to me in everything from quilting to home repairs.

I like both. I still read paper books but also read on my iPad. For tutorials I don't mind a video if it is clear, and sometimes one that is written with pictures is better. Depends on what is being taught and who is doing the teaching.
    Alyce

Most of the time, by just looking at the multi-lingual pictures that come with that Ikea thing, I can have it all put together before he even finds the correct video on youtube.
    However, most videos can be paused, reversed. speeded up, fast forwarded, and they can show me exactly what it should look like when it's done. Or what it should look like from the inside...at the half-way point.
    I like written instructions, but I really like pictures & videos too.
    I once went to a class to learn something new, and we just watched a video. Then discussed it...answering any questions. Not what I was hoping for.
    Maybe both have their place in my world.

For quilting, I generally prefer written instructions but I also enjoy some videos.

For home improvement projects, a video is better for me. It can be hard for me to visualize the steps when I'm not familiar with the terminology and methods used, and a video really helps. Often I watch several before starting a project, because different people have different methods, and some of them leave out vital steps. That's one of the pitfalls of amateur videos, but the same can be true of written directions.

Blog Entries
    I prefer written tutorials. I will watch a tutorial once, but I find them boring and full of irrelevant chatter. A written tutorial can be kept with the project and is readily available and requires no additional equipment.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I much prefer written tutorials.

Statesville, NC formerly Orlando, FL and surrounding area
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
    I like both. I like to have written as a reference point, but I have come to the realization that I am more of a visual learner. If something in the written directions stumps me I watch a video to clarify.
    same here.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I prefer the written word. Videos help sometimes.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

mac
    I am a very visual person. When following instructions, I would rather look at the pictures and then, when all else fails, I will read the instructions. I am an impatient person and to have to read the instructions for 3 minutes or just look at a picture and get the same idea in 3 seconds, works much better for me.

Also, I find that reading instructions can be very ambiguous and therefore very confusing. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Power Poster
    I like to have both available, too.

Sometimes I just do not "get" what the person means from a written page -

On the other hand, it's easier to write on a piece of paper than on a screen if I want to add some notes to the tutorial.

I much prefer a written tutorial. While I enjoy watching the MSQC videos(and others), to actually follow the instructions I like them printed out also but MSQC only offers a transcript that is one run-on paragraph. Hard to follow. I could copy, paste and divide up on a word document I suppose but haven't tried that yet.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    I need pictures with written instructions, or a video I can pause. Just call me a “brain damaged videiot”. Lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it depends--if it's something mechanical, like fixing my long arm, then I like the video. If it's a quilt pattern, I want well written instructions including good pictures.

I prefer written but like to be able to check a video if I'm not sure. Or ask a friend who has done what I'm trying, that's even better. Some of the MSQC videos are printed in the Block mag. or you can gt a download pattern.

DJ
    Both have their places in my learning experience. I do wish more MSQC videos would also have printed directions. I don't like to have to take my own notes. LOL

A lot depends on how well a tutorial is written, and some things are a lot easier to show than to tell. If there's a good video I'll watch it and then take notes that I can refer to. I don't really have a preference, as long as they cut to the chase and don't fumble around too much or, in the case of a video, have very annoying and repetitive music cluttering up the presentation. Quilting is a visual art, and watching a good video with plenty of examples can be much more inspiring than a written lesson with simple line drawings. Videos are especially useful when they're demonstrating some new equipment that I have never tried. For example, my serger came with a VHS tape, and I don't know how I would ever have figured that thing out without it.

Years ago I taught myself to knit and crochet from how-to books that had black and white pictures. I believe the same process would have been 10 times easier watching a Craftsy class. Also, I believe that watching someone doing a skilled task, such as FMQ, gives a person a feel for the timing involved that you could not convey with any number of words.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast