Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ya gotta love us Texans.... >

Ya gotta love us Texans....

Ya gotta love us Texans....

Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM

You have got to appreciate us Texans. Here in Wichita Falls, we have had 75 days of over 100 degrees, with one day of 99 degrees in the middle. Most days have been 108. The high today was 111.

Okay, here is where it is sort of cute. Yes, we are all tired of the heat, and, yes, most of us are grumpy, but in the last week it has sort of become...."Who cares. Let's get on with life."

For example, this evening my husband and I were out flying his model airplanes, getting ready for a contest coming up....one of his hobbies. We fly every evening and most mornings...(both teachers on break for three more days). We live in the country, and usually I only hear livestock noises (donkeys, long horn cattle, horses. Tonight I heard one neighbor and his family out playing football, another neighbor playing a radio....I think he was in his workshop working on his truck, and a teenager down the road was doing something with his horse, barrel racing or something where the horse was running and he was talking to it.

Now, the temperature was still 103 (7:30 in the evening), but the sun was getting low in the sky and it wasn't bearing down on us. So we were all out just trying to have a normal evening, ignoring the ugly temperatures.

Ya gotta love us Texans!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM

:thumbup: We just got back from Braum's, where I got the hot fudge sundae I have been craving for two weeks. Yes, we do need to get on with life.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Oh, now that is a good idea!!! Actually, two good ideas!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Agreed texans know how to live!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

SO RIGHT - WE MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT HE GIVES US!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D :-D
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
SO RIGHT - WE MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT HE GIVES US!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D :-D
and then some - :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes, you're right. That's the way to be!

Though I am sending good thoughts of some cooling rain your way.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM

No matter how miserably hot we are, life is good in Texas!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emerald46
No matter how miserably hot we are, life is good in Texas!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dina
You have got to appreciate us Texans. Here in Wichita Falls, we have had 75 days of over 100 degrees, with one day of 99 degrees in the middle. Most days have been 108. The high today was 111.

Okay, here is where it is sort of cute. Yes, we are all tired of the heat, and, yes, most of us are grumpy, but in the last week it has sort of become...."Who cares. Let's get on with life."

For example, this evening my husband and I were out flying his model airplanes, getting ready for a contest coming up....one of his hobbies. We fly every evening and most mornings...(both teachers on break for three more days). We live in the country, and usually I only hear livestock noises (donkeys, long horn cattle, horses. Tonight I heard one neighbor and his family out playing football, another neighbor playing a radio....I think he was in his workshop working on his truck, and a teenager down the road was doing something with his horse, barrel racing or something where the horse was running and he was talking to it.

Now, the temperature was still 103 (7:30 in the evening), but the sun was getting low in the sky and it wasn't bearing down on us. So we were all out just trying to have a normal evening, ignoring the ugly temperatures.

Ya gotta love us Texans!!
Funny you should mention this..just today I said the same thing to my DH...it was 107 AGAIN here in North Oklahoma and I said to him that it must be cooler today..he just looked at me and sighed...but I think we have actually started to get used to it...the more time you spend out in it, the easier it gets..sadly...

I went out to pull weeds from the front bed and it was still 102 at 8pm...so if you don't just BUCK UP and go out to do it..it won't get done...

while out there I noticed several of our neighbors in this block were outside..washing cars, playing ball with the kids, doing yard work...must be tired of being inside all of the summer..we do enough of that in the winter...