Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
yard sale purchase fabric from Afganistan >

yard sale purchase fabric from Afganistan

yard sale purchase fabric from Afganistan

Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Dix

I wonder about having a problem with raveling. They look pretty loose woven! Beautiful pieces!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM

If you use the fabric, I would not use the part with the words. That should keep anyone from being offended. I purchased some fabric in a bag at one of the thrift stores, and have what looks like an alter cloth. Beautiful. I am not going to cut it up, but will use it on my formal dining table over the holidays. After all, it was sold.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
Oh cut them and don't worry about others. I am sick and tired of people getting offended over the littlest things. You are not doing to be insulting so make the bags. They will be gorgeous....
Quiltfan, I understand where you are coming from but I wouldn't want to go somewhere and see a bag made out of something that had special significance to me in some way . Say a flag or altar cloth, for example. While I have no religious leaning what so ever I try to be respectful of others. w7sue,, I figure it starts with me . If I am respectful than maybe it will be catching. :-) I cannot control what others do.
I did some looking around online and the hindi shawl looks like exactly that,, a shawl or wrap made to be used that way. The prayer shawls are larger. So that one is a go if I want to make anything from it I am thinking it would make a pretty vest for say the holidays maybe. or something . Who knows. The others I will have to look more but I am thinking prayer rugs would be heavier.

As far as fraying I can always serge the edges then cut or use interfacing . I am doing a binding on a wall hanging now out of silver lame' and use fusible light weight interfacing . I have done it before and it works fine. At least I think I am its not done yet. lol
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Stabilize BEFORE you serge or cut. That is what i've learned from classes with Steve Wilson of Anita Goodesign and John Deer. It eliminates raveling completely. Use a very lightweight stabilizer that is meant for knit fabrics. I use it on silks, and my favorite is Floriani's.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Stabilize BEFORE you serge or cut. That is what i've learned from classes with Steve Wilson of Anita Goodesign and John Deer. It eliminates raveling completely. Use a very lightweight stabilizer that is meant for knit fabrics. I use it on silks, and my favorite is Floriani's.

OH yeah!!! I learned that the hard way the last time I tried this. My DD came up with the idea of using silver as a binding so it looks like a frame and I tried sewing it on and hand sewing the back down like normal ... I think I made up new words that day and if not then I made them up when I was removing it . LOL
I just used light weight interfacing but its not the one for knit fabrics. I will have to try that one before I cut up the shawl.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM

cut them but be careful doing so. If they are useless to you otherwise, it makes no sense to just keep them so you won't "offend" someone. but then again I have never been a fan of the P.C. nonsense..........
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM

If you don't want to cut them; sell them on eBay, in the classifieds, or a garage sale, etc., or donate them to Goodwill or such just to pass them on. Who knows, someone out there may be looking for them! Just a suggestion...
Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

They are beautiful and I would not cut them untill I knew what they are. It would be cool to have the one piece translated. Could they be prayer shawls or rugs? I wonder.

I don't think it would be insulting to re- purpose these fabrics. I think they are interesting pieces and just knowing what they are makes them more interesting. I think including the wording in your project makes it more special!
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 04-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
I agree with quiltingfan, somewhat. I would never have thought about cutting them up to make something beautiful as being offensive. I just wish that all those who we are worried about 'offending' would be just as worried about 'offending' the rest of us.
What does this even mean? It's okay to offend others but not you? Think about it. And Who is "us". Not me, that's for sure

Last edited by ube quilting; 04-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM

I don't think I could bring myself to cut up the blue ones for any reason. I love it just the way it is!