Yarn delimma

Old 05-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Yarn delimma

I started a red and gray ripple afghan for my husband and began with a couple of skeins from my huge yarn stash. It was Love Knit yarn by Vonnel and now that I've gotten 15 rows done on it I can't find any of this yarn anywhere. It's the grey that's the problem, the red was Red Heart and I know I can find that. Have you ever heard of this yarn? I can't even find a site for the manufacturer. I have no idea where I bought it, maybe I picked it up at the GW or a yard sale. So now I have to try and find something close. This kind of stuff really bugs me when I do it. Any suggestions for my problem?

I will tell you that I couldn't find anything to put on my index finger so the yarn wouldn't make it raw. I looked in the craft aisle for some new invention and then came home and used the little circle band aids in the package that I can never make work on any part of my body. It's doing pretty good as a solution.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking it may be out of production. Your best bet might be eBay. You can save a search there and get an email when any new Vonnel or Love Knit yarn comes up for auction. You may be hard-pressed to find the color that you currently have in sufficient quantity. Could you turn the afghan into a scrap ripple afghan? I think that would be your best bet, especially if you are working from stash. Perhaps varieties of red and gray colors?

When I did a search on eBay, I got this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...onnel&_sacat=0
Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Been there, done that....and that's how my yarn stash grew. I always over buy so I have enough and of course then I have some left over. Rather than try to find the same yarn I would introduce a new colour maybe black if the gray isn't too dark.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM

Don't know about the yarn...have the same problem matching a color for the one I was making my husband...maybe in a few years they will bring it back...in the meantime he has taken MINE!...

DUCT TAPE, DUCT TAPE, DUCK TAPE... I am a duct tape girl...I too crochet, knit, embroider, etc....I have wrapped duct tape around sore spots and arthritic joints. Couldn't find a thimble that would go over the joint so I made me one with a small piece of hard plastic removed from one of those adjustable ones and taped it to the end of my finger...Adhesive tape makes big sores on me but I have never had a problem with duct tape...hope this might work for you...
Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 AM
bj

If you can't find more of th same gray, maybe try a different shade of gray to make a pattern within a pattern.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:13 AM

I did see that listing on ebay. The color is grey and it's 1401 if anyone ever runs across any of it. I'll probably just have to do some variations and let it go at that.
I can never get my stash used up for this very reason. I start something, run out and have to buy more. Then I have some of that leftover as well. Oh well it will always be there if I need it.

Thanks for the suggestions on the finger problem. The little circle band aid is working well.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:09 AM

The leftovers make great double thick pot holders and trivets for the table
Old 05-31-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Try Knitting Paradise

There i a site called Knitting Paradise which is quite similar to the Quilting Board. You registered to be a member (it is free). There is a category for buying selling and trading yarn and yarn tools. You might try that or go to Ravelry and see if any person has any they would sell or trade.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 AM

Here are some yarn guide links and photos. Hope you find one that helps.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fing...x-a&channel=sb
Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 AM

Debra, do you have a senior center in your town? If so, check with them, they usually have a large stash of yarn which has been donated to them when their elderly parent can no longer knit due to sight or other problems. Could be some older stash would be part of that donation.