Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
this years craft bazaar updates >

this years craft bazaar updates

this years craft bazaar updates

Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 AM

So many shows are throwing in a health dose of window sales/ water treatment and other misc. non craft type items.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 AM

We participated in one craft show which was extremely disappointing. Everything there was supposed to be hand made, but the best sales were at the two plants stands: one of which had plants that were home grown and the other they blatantly took the plants out of boxes from the Far East.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks for this update. We have been doing shows since early '90's and have seen great changes.Slowly started cutting back in '98 from 20-30/yr. Couldn't keep subsudizing the expense. This year - none. Did mach. emb.clothing and sewn items. Have lots of inventory. Probably take it to a consignment shop (clothing) and see what I can get. All the fabric? Next year's yard sale. The market has changed. I can't be the only one watching where the $ goes. Just a lot less discretionary income.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 AM

In my part of WI, the attendance at craft sales is so much lower than previously. I polled many other crafters and they have said that there has been a steady decline for several years. I think that many of the people who used to buy at craft shows are now downsizing, and the non homemade items have overtaken too many of the sales. I agree, jewelry, hair glitz and scented candle products rule the shows now.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have only done the church craft shows and scouts. I found if it was for kids or pets-they sell. we love our pets and little ones and when there is a budget they always win out over my sil's placemats. lol
Old 11-25-2011, 04:21 PM

I won't participate in a craft fair/bazaar where mass produced products are sold. I feel it takes away from the time and effort of the home crafters. It changes the whole feel of the event in my opinion. I wonder if it gives some of the customers the feeling that the need to buy now is no longer there. The resale products are available EVERYWHERE, so they can find them when needed. I really wish the events were limited to handmade only. I know in my area there are at least a few events set up to allow the "home sale" businesses to sell, and that I was not welcome as a handmade business. Oh well...
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 PM

I did one craft show this year and my sales were very low, which is unusual for me. Attendance was low, received many nice compliments about my stuff but people just weren't buying. We closed up early so I went to another craft sale that same day that is always well attended and talked to some of the crafters. They said it had been very slow and attendance was low there as well. I'm in So. CA.

I have several craft sales I enjoy going to, most of them at local churches, and I've continued to go. I haven't seen much that really interested me but I still enjoy going.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:41 AM

I was telling my dh that I miss the craft shows that I used to go to when I lived up in St. Louis. There would be lots of them this time of the year in the bigger high schools and some big halls. But down here they don't have that. I went to one put on by Buckley one year, and it was a lot of commercial stuff. Meh. I did a few of the shows myself in the past, with crocheted items, and did well. But then people started buying stuff at wholesale houses and reselling it. I refuse to compete with stuff from Walmart.

I would probably not buy too much holiday themed stuff, but go more with things I could use year around. Unless it was something very different, of course. I like the unique.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 PM

I have stopped going, as the local shows were repetitive and nothing new was introduced. I have started to down size as well. I, also think, the 'junk' at the craft fairs from overseas is disappointing as they are NOT crafts.

I quilt and make jewelery for local charities-I do not sell but can see how this would be very upsetting to someone who puts time and effort into items only to be told that people are not interested. Both jewelery and quilting are expensive hobbies-I love the creative outlet but am glad that I do not have to depend on selling my items in order to afford the hobby.

The economy is part but I think that handmade goods are not as cherished as they once were. Personally I prefer hand crafted items to store bought.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

About the only things I buy are the crocheted pot scrubbers. I love them.