Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you stocking up on light bulbs? >

Are you stocking up on light bulbs?

Are you stocking up on light bulbs?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I switched awhile ago. The incandescent light have mercury in them, and they are a hazmet problem.
Compact florescent bulbs contain mercury. Don't know about incandescent. Around my sewing machine, I use the ones Bonnie Hunter uses. They are great and inexpensive. $10 or $12 if I remember correctly.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]MIXTURE OF TRUE AND FALSE INFORMATION:[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]TRUE: CFLs contain mercury, a potentially dangerous substance.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]TRUE: While mercury stays safely contained in intact CFLs, it escapes from broken CFLs into the immediate surroundings.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]FALSE: The amount of mercury contained in one CFL bulb poses a grave danger to a home's inhabitants.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]TRUE: The breakage of a CFL bulb needs to be handled with care and certain procedures should be followed in removing the broken bulb and its contents from a home. [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]FALSE: The mercury dispersed by one broken CFL bulb needs to be dealt with only by an environmental clean-up crew.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins...LCSkGTZRHrH.99
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
CFLS are the big ...lie. They are toxic (Mercury), they emit UV rays, They use considerably more power when used in short term use lighting, and they trigger migraines and seizures in some people. But, Nanny knows best.

One of the downsides with compact fluorescent light bulbs is the high start-up voltage that is required due to the ballast regulating the current. These light bulbs are therefore not as cost-efficient when used for shorter periods of time (switched on and off a lot) as opposed to being switched on for longer periods. The constant On/Off cycles also reduce the bulb's lifespan by as much a half, creating cost to purchase more bulbs more often and filling our landfills with heavy metal toxins. We've gone to LEDs as well, because I have severe head pain due to a previous carotid artery dissection, and can not tolerate the new lights at all. They are expensive, but we get deals at Costco.

I agree, the CFLS being toxic, not a good replacement for the old ones. I too am switching out to LED and have great light.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM

I have 2 lamps that don't like the new bulbs and my 3way lamps have a problem also. Otherwise, I have switched over to the new ones and really like them.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM

I have to check the stash up in the attic first. I think we need 60w and 40 w ones still. A lot of shop tools still use the standard light bulb vs the curly ones.

When we moved into this house 4 1/2 years ago. We replaced all the bulbs with the curly ones. We are just now starting to have to replace the burnt out ones.

In my sewing room I prefer the standard bulbs, I think they are so much brighter.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 AM

We go for 90% LED in our house. Don't like mercury vapor in my or my childrens environment. It is so toxic and I can't understand how it can be legal to produce and sell.

If the "environmental" lightbulb is warm when it brakes a significant amount of the Hg will evaporate becoming far more bioavailable than in liquid form (in which it is not as harmfull and can be disposed of).

Last edited by mariatherese; 12-15-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
Now I will be running out to the stores to buy these. Like I needed another thing to worry about. Thanks for the warning. I stopped watching the news. It just depresses and annoys me too much so I had not heard this.
You sound just like me ! I am SOO out of the loop. I did not know this about the bulbs. I have switched over to the swirly kind, but I don't like them and so far I haven't seen a drop in my electric bill.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM

We switched over a few months after I bought my house, because of high energy bills. The month we made the switch, (on the bill cutoff date) my electric bill fell by 1/3! I'm sold. I just use a higher wattage one over my sewing machine. I also have natural light at all times due to having created "false skylights" in every window in the house. I don't notice any yellowing effect...
Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM

I use the daylight 'swirly' ones everywhere. We switched over when dh was diagnosed with depression and they help a lot in the winter plus my electric bill dropped a lot. I never get headaches unless I use too much salt and have to take a fluid pill (did I mention potato chips with a fluid pill chaser).
Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM

I was told by my brother who owns his own neon shop that when you first use the bulbs that have mercury in them, you should leave them on for at last 30 minutes the first time. This will extend the life of the bulb. It's the mercury fumes that generates the brightness of the light. I've stocked up on the 3-way bulbs that I use in the living room, other than that I guess I'll have to go with the flow. As for the 'yellow' effect, my eye doctor told me as we age, our corneas tend to change from clear to a yellow-ish color lens.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=lovelyl;6457202]We have three overhead fans with lights. The manuals state you cannot use CF bulbs in them. The fans are only about 4 years old and I don't want to have to replace them Guess I need to stock up on regular bulbs for the fan lights. Now to find a place to store all those bulbs...[/

Why are you not supposed to use the CF bulbs in ceiling fans? I have them in mine and now I am concerned and wondering if I should remove them.