Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you superstitious?

Blog Entries
    when we move i look for houses that either have 3's in the street number, or add up to a number divisible by three. for instance, my current address is 24. 2+4=6, and six is divisible by 3. 3 is my lucky number. and the digits 3 and 1 are doubly lucky.the only time i won at bingo was with n31. my dad made a nantucket basket purse for me, his last one, and it was number 13. my birthday is the 3rd, both grandmothers were born on the third and my grandaughter was born on the third. my dad and his sister were both born on the 13th. one son was born on the 24th, the other on the 15th. i was born in '51. i rest my case!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    DH rides bikes and once was bumped by a semi. Not hurt, thankfully. Now I have to tell him not to get hit by an 18 wheeler every time he goes.
    After having 2 serious bike accidents, my DH had me to buy him a bell/charm that the Harley shop & probably other bike places sell. It says something about protecting the rider and it hangs on his bike, about 3-4 inches long. Apparently for the "good luck" to work it has to be given to the rider by someone.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

No shoes on the bed, don't buy a green car, and my late mother's favorite "don't jinx yourself".

My mom had lots of superstitions she learned from her mother. She said she didn't really believe them, but I think she did. The only one that seems to have stuck with me is not giving knives and scissors as gifts because it will cause the relationship to be severed. I don't believe it, but I don't do it. Don't know why. Actually, now that I think of it, we gave our son and his wife some flatware for a wedding present, and I guess that didn't count because the knives were not sharp, except maybe the steak knives... Actually, that was more than 15 years ago, and so for no problem!

I, too, have had black cats, and the only bad luck is that they didn't live forever. We have renamed every dog we've ever owned because we get them from shelters, and there's no way to know their previous names. One dog seemed hard to name. We asked her over and over, "What's your name?" One time she responded "Rooo-rooo!" So we named her Roux.

I don't think of myself as such, but things my grandmother said and did, don't leave thing over for the new year--take down the tree before Jan 1., pay bills and so on. If you give a knife, or scissors, you always put a coin in with the gift-- you don't want 'to cut your love' . If you give gifts like a purse or wallet once again you put a coin or bill in it--you don't want the receiver to be poor. These superstitions have worked their way into our family's habits. I don't really think any bad thing will come of not doing these things, but it is another way to show your love, so I am for it!
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I was raised with superstitons. What a fun post. I have enjoyed all the responces!
    Some that I was taught not mentioned earlier : drop a dish towl while drying dishes and you will get company, don't put your hat on a bed - bad luck..don't pass any one one the stairs- bad luck ( school stairs were so stressful during class change) don't sing at the table-bad luck ( happy birthday song always confused me on that one) , say "bread and butter" when walking side by side and a sign or person comes between the two of you.

These are all off top of my head beyond already posted ones. Wow, as I think about this....how stressful to have so much to respond to while growing up! Ha ha!
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

My former stepmother had a few, like , Drop a fork, company is coming. My favorite was, if you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave!

OK, so today is Friday the 13th. I just heard on TV that there are 3 Friday the 13th's this year... & they're 13 weeks apart (Jan, Apr, & now). Does that freak people out? It doesn't me. There is a "superstitions expert"on right now. He says we have supstitions because our brains are wired to look for patterns. Our psyches can't stand randomness. And fear of Friday the 13th if called "triskaidekaphobia" (I didn;t leanr that when I was getting my psych degree!). Just a little FYI...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSue View Post
    i hate the chain letters too. I almost always break them. If I have had bad luck, I'm sure it was my due time to have it, not because of some stupid chain letter. If God really wanted to do us harm, would he send us a form letter first??
    I break them all the time mainly because I never received the good fortune they promised when I didn't break them.

"My favorite was, if you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave!"

Never heard this one before but it made me LOL!

No, I am not at all.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    Same here. It drives me nuts when my husband does the opposite, and before I can stop it, "Shh, you'll jinx it"! will come out of my mouth!!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    The other is that I won't divulge what I think is pending good news before it is confirmed. Example ... a job interview that went really well - I won't tell anyone until an offer is made (and accepted) because I always think the moment I say "I might get ....." my karma will change

Blog Entries
    I didn't know a lot of these that have been mentioned already!!

I never step on cracks (don't want a mother with a broken back!), and I always hold my breath when going thru a tunnel. I make a wish on the first star. I never tell my wishes. I raise my feet when going over railroad tracks, and hold a button when I'm going under a train.

I've always known that bad things would happen when I was 28 and that good things would happen in 2004. I was right on both. Probably a coincidence, because good things happened to me in 2008 and I didn't see that coming!

I break chain letters, never do the forwards even when they say if I don't I dont love Jesus and something bad will happen, and today I signed a contract on Friday the 13th.
    Jean in MI

No superstitions at all, despite the Irish side of my family. My mother would freak if you rocked an empty chair and when my great uncle gave me a Barlow knife, I had to 'pay' him a penny to stave off the bad luck of giving/receiving a blade. At the turn of the new year we were supposed to hold a silver coin to insure prosperity and the first visitor of the new year should be a 'dark man' for good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post

I never step on cracks (don't want a mother with a broken back!), and I always hold my breath when going thru a tunnel. I make a wish on the first star. I never tell my wishes. I raise my feet when going over railroad tracks, and hold a button when I'm going under a train.
    wow, those are some new ones for me. I forgot I am also a firm believer in "fingers crossed" when I am waiting to find the outcome of something.

Blog Entries
    I don't like to enter a building by like the front door ^ go out the back door. My mommy always said it is bad luck.
    catherine antone

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    "My favorite was, if you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave!"

Never heard this one before but it made me LOL!
    I'd never heard that one either but I know this... if I'd ever hit my Mother, I'd have been in the grave before you could blink! LOL!

My MIL used to say -- when it thundered -- "That's the devil beating his wife". What? I wonder how these sayings get started?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post

I've always known that bad things would happen when I was 28 and that good things would happen in 2004. I was right on both. Probably a coincidence, because good things happened to me in 2008 and I didn't see that coming!
    Oh yeah... wishes. I wish on everything... white horses, my necklace touching the clasp on the chain, 1st star of the night, 3 popeyes, 11:11 (I get to wish twice a day with that one), wishbones. And I NEVER tell my wish!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

To those who break chain letters, I'm in the same club! Just more stuff to clog one's e-mailbox!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

This is a great thread. I have not heard of many of these and I always break chain letters. I can't think of any superstitions I hold, but I am a firm believer in karma. Wait, my Mom put a penny in my shoe on my wedding day. Was that for superstition? I never thought to ask.
    If you quilt fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise? Bernice Manning

Not too much, although I won't pick up a penny on the street if it is "tails" up. Heads up . . . absolutely good luck!
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2