Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy? >

Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy?

Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Our plants were killed by pests this year!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
tomatoe sandwhiches soooo good and drink the juice from the dish after sliceing them love em!!!
I have been eating so many tomatoes that I am getting a rash. I love tomatoes and have not been able to can any this year because they are remodeling our kitchen. I made some sauce, but have not been able to make our tasty salsa for eggs and chips. Frustrating but so good in sandwiches, in fresh salads, by themselves with a little garlic salt, the juice. Yum. We have 10 tomato plants since my DH was sure none would survive to produce tomatoes. LOL

PS we are putting the excess in a bin outside on our road and they have been disappearing and we are also giving some to our neighbors who do not have gardens.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Mater sammiches... and lots of 'em!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM

I have never really cared much for tomatoes. I've always wondered if I'd change my mind with homegrown tomatoes, or maybe heirloom tomatoes.

Our dog died a year ago last summer, and it didn't occur to me until last month that I don't have to worry anymore about him jumping into the garden and eating everything, or pooping and peeing on the plants. So I think next spring I'll plant a garden. The number one thing on my list to plant is Walla Walla onions!! Yum!!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 PM

Tomato chutney. Mmmm!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I'm reminded of a hilarious story Garrison Keillor tells about Lake Wobegon, when everyone's tomatoes were coming in. He said every flat surface in their kitchens would be covered with ripening tomatoes, and people would find sacks of them on their doorsteps in the morning! Too funny.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Our tomatoes are driving us crazy in that they aren't producing! My DH read somewhere that shaking the plants will help them pollinate so he's been doing that all summer, while I hide my laughter. Now the plants are as tall as I am, 5 feet 3 inches, but very few tomatoes. I am so disappointed. We haven't had a good crop in 3 years. He even moved the location of the plants thinking that would help too, but nothing.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Sewbizgirl, is that the story that includes throwing ripe/overripe tomatoes at each other as a children's game, and how they stuck to one participant's butt? I was in church once when the substitute priest's voice reminded me of Garrison Keillor, and that story popped into my head. He will forever be known as Father Tomato Butt in my memory!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 PM

So glad you are able to harvest yours. We did really well for about 3 weeks and the deer found my little garden patch. They ate the melons and every red tomato on the vines. There are still some green ones, so I hope to get a few more They are so much better than what you can get in the market