Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 TV series?

Blog Entries

Your top 10 TV series?

We just moved again, this time we are living on a compound (for security reasons). So I think that I will be watching TV (Netflix) and quilting a lot to fill up my days. Suggestions for great TV series would be very much appreciated.
    Valerie

Why are you there? Military? Be safe!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    First am sending prayers to help keep you safe and get you home fast. I am not sure what is available on Netflix. We don't utilize it. Just few local and cable. We like NCIS, MOM, MIKE AND MOLLY, BIG BANG THEORY. Criminal Minds. Then I get out the needle work or go to my room. Sometimes DH joins me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    First am sending prayers to help keep you safe and get you home fast. I am not sure what is available on Netflix. We don't utilize it. Just few local and cable. We like NCIS, MOM, MIKE AND MOLLY, BIG BANG THEORY. Criminal Minds. Then I get out the needle work or go to my room. Sometimes DH joins me.
    Pretty much everything is available on Netflix and Kody has it all plus movies. We're here for 2 years, just finished our first month. Thanks for the suggestions, I've never heard of MOM, so I'll check it out because all the others you suggested I do like.
    Valerie

Netflix series I love: No particular order

Midsomer Murders
    Longmire
    Rosemary and Thyme
    The 100
    Hell on Wheels
    Foyle's War
    Marco Polo
    Bletchley Circle
    Breaking Bad
    Doc Martin
    The Fall
    Monarch of the Glen
    Sherlock
    Lilyhammer
    Broadchurch
    Hemlock Grove

There are many more but this will keep you entertained for a long time. The tv in my sewing room is always on Netflix.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    With Netflix, I generally watch all of one show then move onto another.

Some series I have enjoyed:

Murdoch Mysteries
    Doc Martin
    Crossing Borders
    X Company
    Numb3rs
    Scott and Bailey

I do not know if you will be able to stream shows from the CBC website
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Why are you there? Military? Be safe!
    We're here for hubby's work - Canadian High Commission. We won't take any chances, there's lots of people at the embassy whose entire jobs entail making sure the rest of us are safe. We went on a hazardous environment training course (run by the Canadian military) before we came, and they did their best to scare the crap out of us about the dangers. i've met some incredibly kind and gentle locals, and it really drives home the sentiment that it's too bad that a very few rotten apples can spoil the barrel. We are at the foothills of the Himalayas and we probably won't get to explore much of this beautiful country and interact with many of the locals. I would like to do some volunteer work here, and it is much needed, but it is too risky. Hopefully things will improve for this country, over time. We are very blessed to be born in Canada and the USA.
    Valerie

Blog Entries
    Inspector Morse (2 separate series -- one with John Thaw and a newer one covering Morse' younger years)
    Midsomer Murders
    Murdoch Mysteries
    Doc Martin
    Father Brown

Years ago I enjoyed the American series 24 for awhile. Also have enjoyed Project Runway and America's Next Top Model (at least some of the years). NCIS and Bones. Stargate series, but that is very old.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I just started watching Mike and Molly...makes me laugh..yeah!

My favorite shows are:

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Vikings (the History Channel produced this)
    3. Empire Boardwalk
    4. Firefly and the movie that goes with it, Serenity
    5. Crime Stories (an old tv program from the '80's I think)
    6. Miami Vice (so '80's)
    7. The Resident Evil movies
    8. Downtown Abbey
    9. Falling Skies (TNT network)
    10. And anything with Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall or Sam Elliot in it.

Old gangster movies also...
    Where angels fear to tread
    Scarface (1932)
    The pope of Greenwich Village
    Once Upon a Time in America
    All the Godfather movies
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 09-12-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I like lighter series, so maybe you'll find some of these interesting, too.
    Heart of Dixie
    New Girl
    How I met your mother
    Last Man Standing
    Friends
    Top Gear (UK)
    Doc Martin
    Monarch of the Glen
    All of Ken Burns documentaries (which may not interest you... but are very well done.)
    The great thing about Netflix is once you finish watching a movie or show, they will give suggestions. We have found so many great selections this way.

House of cards is a very good one.

NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS New Orleans, Hell on wheels,Longmire, How to get away with murder, Haven, Gothem, Scotpion, Castle, Law and order SUV, Grey's anatomy, Hawiia Five-O, Blue bloods, Once upon a time, CSI, Marvei's agents of S>H>I>L>D>, Criminal minds, Bones, Sleepy hollow, Madam Secretary, Homeland, The Good Wife, CSI cyber, Finding Carter. Some of the new shows we.er going to take a look at are Limitless, Quantico, The Flash and I'm not sure if Finding Carter is new or not.

Several that we start and enjoy reall seem to take a turn toward ??? Can't really think of the word to describe. Nasty? Horrible? Too much blood and gore and ick. Game of Thrones . Dexter . The Tutors . Rome . They suck you in and when you are done you feel bad for watching.... They seem to go too far, cross the line of good viewing..
    Parenthood was one I really liked!!! I do like Longmire. Watching Rescue Me now. Have a hard time with regular TV because of commercials. Have become spoiled with Netflix, Hulu and the others.

I liked a lot of what has been suggested. Was Call the Midwife mentioned? Also Last Tango in Halifax was good.

I watch Mistresses, Project Runway, Cedar Cove, Hallmark Movies. I sleep better when I end my day feeling happy than depressed and paranoid. Sometimes Castle but agree it went a little dull after they got married.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I agree with what the shows listed above. Right now we are watching Monarch of the Glens and have so enjoyed it.

Lark Rise to Candleford is excellent. It's on Amazon Prime and use to be on Netflix. When one drops a show the other picks is up.
    A Murder at Pemberly is a must if you are a Jane Austin fan.

The old series of Brewster's Place is a great mini series. Many haven't seen Roots either. I like the old tv mini series. Remember Thornbirds?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
    Several that we start and enjoy reall seem to take a turn toward ??? Can't really think of the word to describe. Nasty? Horrible? Too much blood and gore and ick. Game of Thrones . Dexter . The Tutors . Rome . They suck you in and when you are done you feel bad for watching.... They seem to go too far, cross the line of good viewing..
    Parenthood was one I really liked!!! I do like Longmire. Watching Rescue Me now. Have a hard time with regular TV because of commercials. Have become spoiled with Netflix, Hulu and the others.
    Oh yeah, forgot about Parenthood. I came late to it, and loved it, and then poof! it was gone. Shame really. It was a very well acted, well written series.

Blog Entries
    British murder mysteries I love, many listed above. also MHZ worldview tv has some nice European detective shows. I get them on Comcast, one of the stations I like to watch. can be seen on the internet too though. Montalbano is one, Beck, Brunetti and some by Camilla Lackberg are good too. just read some of her books. anything but U.S. stuff.
    Last edited by nativetexan; 09-13-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Right now I'm watching Damages starring Glen Close, very, very good. I do so enjoy what they have now coined Binge watching. It's sort of like reading Gone with the wind which I just never wanted that book to end. You don't have to wait a week at a time and really get into the characters. Parenthood was another one on my top list and then The Fall. These alone should keep you very, very busy.

Quote Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
    We just moved again, this time we are living on a compound (for security reasons). So I think that I will be watching TV (Netflix) and quilting a lot to fill up my days. Suggestions for great TV series would be very much appreciated.

First, God Bless the service your husband is involved in, hopefully making our chaotic world just a bit safer for all. I hear your heart in volunteering where you are serving, but you are so wise to listen to the wisdom of security personnel.

I find these threads (what shows enjoy or threads about what books they enjoy) so interesting seeing what genre of movies, TV shows or books that our fellow quilters enjoy and then seeing those shows listed that I enjoy too making another connection with 'friends' online.

We have Netflix and it is also in my sewing room which I enjoy. I also love Audible.com to listen to books, as with my advancing age I tend to fall asleep now when trying to read books for an extended time.

I can't think of any other shows that haven't already been listed above. I see some suggestions that I'm going to look up and watch.

Most of all I wanted to extend my sincerest gratitude to your husband and you Valarie, how my heart and prayers are extended to those in service for the greater good of this crazy world.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I like the vet programs such as Dr Jeff and Dr Poil, currently watching the old Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Voyagers on Netflix. I also enjoy American Pickers, Treehouse Master and Masterpiece Classic which includes Downton Abbey.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Think I heard someplace that another season of Parenthood will be available on Netflix the end of Sept. May be available already on some of the other pay for view channels.

Blog Entries
    I don't know if all of these are on netflix

Downton Abbey
    Call the Midwife
    Sons of Anarchy
    The Walking Dead
    Homeland
    Game of Thrones
    Nip/Tuck
    Firefly
    The Tudors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast