Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zendoodling.. my new fun for when I can't sew!

jazzmyn, thanks for sharing that site, always great learning more about something I love!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Already I have learned that I am not zentangling.. I am creating zentangle inspired art. Apparently, I jumped right over the zentangle part. I think I will go back and try doing some of that. I will have to cut my paper into smaller sizes to control my need to use the whole area. LOL

I don't think I will ever be able to transfer my art to fabric, as I don't have that kind of fine control needed due to my neck, shoulder and arm issues. But I love seeing what others are doing in that way!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Love, love, love your cat! I am going to steal your idea and do mine! Your zen doodles are amazing!

JanieH, Thanks for the kind words, you don't have to steal any of my ideas, I put them right out here to share!! The whole point in posting something that gives so much pleasure is the hopes that it will bring some joy to others, either by seeing it or by being inspired to do it themselves.
    Hugssss and smiles........
    Linda Wedge White

All I can is "WOW"!

You are very artistic. Wow I just returned from my weekly art class...I would like to ask your permission to share your creations with the group please. . I so enjoyed seeing your work.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Blog Entries
    Your ZIA's are beautiful and I just wanted to alert you to the 'official' website for Zentangle which is of course www.zentangle.com There you will find a whole community of artists who love to tangle and create new patterns. Some also have a weekly challenge that anyone can participate in. I've been tangling for a few years now and have 6 art journals filed with zentangles. Susanne McNeil, inventor of the 10 minute block is an avid zentangler and has written many books on the subject. http://blog.suzannemcneill.com/
    Mrs B There is nothing that can't be improved with gold glitter

Here is a Valentine one, it was fu to do

Judy in. Phx, AZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love that you are sharing! Hope others will also. Here is my Valentine Zendoodle and some of my more recent doodling:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda Wedge White

Wow...outstanding. You are awesome

Judy in Phx, AZ

In the Valentines one, the first photo, if you can see them, there are 3, maybe 4 hearts in there. LOL

I'm also having fun having others make that first thread for me and going on from there. The 4th photo started with a thread my son drew for me. The original thread was the large circles with the two small circles inside them in the upper right corner of the drawing. That is called a Fu, and is his logo he puts on the clothes and things he designs. He was really challenging me to do something with that. LOL I named that drawing oooooohh Fu.

DH did one for me and I have just finished filling it in, it became a fish. I'll post it when I finish filling in the colors.
    Linda Wedge White

Judy, you are too kind, I thank you so much for your generous praise and enthusiasm!!! I have so much fun doing these and it really helps me forget my pain. I got some colored pens at the dollar store and am also enjoying using them mixed in with the colored pencils.
    I admire the just black ones that others do but just can't seem to like mine that way.
    I am learning from the sites you shared and like picking up new things. I like making up my own too, but probably someone else came up with them long before I have. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

Blog Entries
    You are very artistic. These are soooo interesting.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Beautiful, artistic and creative. These would translate beautifully into quilting or indeed fabric, or even embroidery. Absolutely inspiring thread. I have a DVD of the zentangle method, but I have a lot of trouble stitching straight lines, let alone being let loose with extreme doodling.

very cool.....
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Saw this at a craft fair at Fort Christmas, Christmas, FL. Vendor was selling books. Looks interesting.

I love, love, LOVE tangling! Love all the examples here I, too, don't follow the "zentangle" rules. As far as I'm concerned, it's just doodling. Tanglepatterns.com has tons of patterns, and anyone can do it! Seriously, if you think you can't, you'll be surprised! I couldn't draw a straight line, LOL! Give it a try, for sure. You won't be disappointed! When I can't quilt (i.e. right now - it's too dang cold in the basement, even with the space heater), I draw. I did an awesome quilt-related doodle for our blog header, combining words with my doodles in Photoshop (sorry, can't post that pic since it includes our site name and they don't allow that here). I prefer to draw "things" as opposed to random drawings. Here's some of the quilt-related doodles I've done:
    Name:  Quilt-stuff.gif
Views: 139
Size:  672.6 KB
    Another one of my favorite sites is http://www.alittlelime.com. Her tangles are absolutely awe-inspiring!
    Last edited by cindi; 02-15-2014 at 02:36 AM.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Cindi, thank you for the great ideas. Looks like could pick up the thimble and thread. I find these doodles to be relaxing and fun. Time flys while I am busy working on some. Thank you for posting

Judy in Phx, AZ

Judy, I take free coloring book pages from the internet, trace them in pencil onto my cardstock, and fill them in. It's a blast!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

cindi, I too thank you for the lovely sharing... so cool. And I never thought about using images from coloring books.
    Linda Wedge White

Hi Cindi, I just checked hat out..I did not know they were available. I think I saw some that could be used for appliqué also. Thank you for sharing and keep doodling.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Judy, I just look for royalty-free cartoons. Or, if I find I cartoon I really like that's not royalty-free I'll try to draw up my own from the pic. Because the cartoons I use are so simple and free of extraneous detail, it's pretty easy to change it up. I mean, really, how difficult is it to draw a simple thimble? Or a thread spool? Pretty much a couple of curved and straight lines! Sometimes you just need the inspiration or idea!

Hobby Lobby has a Zen Doodle section with some really cool books and patterns. Saw it when running in for something else and said, "Oh, man, I need to come back!" . Your creations are great!

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    I love, love, LOVE tangling! Love all the examples here I, too, don't follow the "zentangle" rules. As far as I'm concerned, it's just doodling. Tanglepatterns.com has tons of patterns, and anyone can do it! Seriously, if you think you can't, you'll be surprised! I couldn't draw a straight line, LOL! Give it a try, for sure. You won't be disappointed! When I can't quilt (i.e. right now - it's too dang cold in the basement, even with the space heater), I draw. I did an awesome quilt-related doodle for our blog header, combining words with my doodles in Photoshop (sorry, can't post that pic since it includes our site name and they don't allow that here). I prefer to draw "things" as opposed to random drawings. Here's some of the quilt-related doodles I've done:

Another one of my favorite sites is http://www.alittlelime.com. Her tangles are absolutely awe-inspiring!
    You may not post a picture of your site's header but......you certainly can post a link to your site here or on in the Links section.

Quote Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
    Hobby Lobby has a Zen Doodle section with some really cool books and patterns. Saw it when running in for something else and said, "Oh, man, I need to come back!" . Your creations are great!
    Yobrosew, save your money on books and patterns. Go to www.tanglepatterns.com - they've got hundreds of free patterns that are featured in the books, and links to dozens of other tangle sites with even more patterns. And don't buy the Micron pens that are labeled for Zentangles. Get the pack that's got .005, .01, .02, .03, .05 and .08-sized pens. It's a better value and is all you'll need for tangles. Unless you want all of the "official" Zentangle patterns. Then you have to take a class to get those. Many of their patterns are in their newsletter online and at tanglepatterns, though.

I use the white 4.5x6" cardstock paper from Hobby Lobby in the scrapbooking section to draw on. They've got it right now 50% off (which means about $3 for 100 sheets!), a nice thickness, and a much better value than the "tiles" Zentangles wants you to buy. While those tiles are nice, throwing them away when you make a mistake is costly! Or just get an inexpensive 4x6 drawing tablet. I'm all for saving money when it comes to drawing, LOL!
    Last edited by cindi; 02-21-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast