Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Zipper replacement

Blog Entries

Zipper replacement

Have any of you ever cut out the teeth only on the old zipper and attached a new zipper to that old zipper tape? I'm sure I've seen it done on the Sewing with Nancy show but cannot locate that video now. Would like to try this technique on my daughter's winter coat. I'd feel better rewatching the video before I dive in. Or, hearing your experiences with that method would help too!
    Mavis

Another option that might work is to use the old zipper tape and make a new placket. Can you remove the old zipper?

Hmmm you just gave me an idea!! We have a couple of much loved all-weather jackets but the zippers have gone. They have been in the mending basket for ages and I even have the replacement zippers. But I have been dreading taking out the old zippers and trying to manage putting in the new ones, what with the slippery slidey outer fabric. I am going to start searching for that video right now!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Oh!! Good ole Mr. Google! I think I found it! Here's the link http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewi...broken-zipper/
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    GingerK ---You did it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! After watching Nancy do that method again, I know I can manage the job. The coat I need to fix would be a pain to open up and remove the old zipper. Down would be flying everywhere. This method will save that aggravation. Now to get the double sided basting tape and ribbon!
    Mavis

In a absentminded moment, I agreed to change the zipper in a fairly expensive coat for a friend who had already bought a replacement but wanted the original one for general wear around the property vs going to town. I've been procrastinating on doing the replacement, and this will help me move on with it! Thanks for sharing the question (liking quilting) and the video (Ginger K).
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I was going to suggest the method Nancy Zeiman showed on one of her TV shows. I replaced the zipper in my son's favorite jacket that way and it was very successful... and easy!

Don't tell anyone... I took my coat to the dry cleaners and they replaced the zipper for around $30.... it wa sooooo worth it!

Wow! I'm the family zipper replacer, and I think that's an awesome way to do it! I don't mind the "regular" way, but this way looks to be easier, and faster!

Thank you, thank you for this likingquilting and GingerK. I've been sewing for 55 years, but you can always learn new tricks.

That could just save the day! Thank you.

Power Poster
    ​A nifty method to replace a zipper as long as the coat edge isn’t to thick to stitch through.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't believe it when I first saw this 'shortcut'. Where was this when I was replacing all those zippers on kid's sweatshirts?!? Since then I have used it on sweatshirts, jackets, a purse and a sleeping bag. The trick is to cut out the old zipper as close to the stitch line as possible and then using your zipper foot, sew the new zipper on top of the old tape as close to the first stitch line as you can. It simply looks like a double topstitching line. And it is so fast!

I replaced a zipper on an old jacket, but did not cut off the old teeth. The new zipper was sewn to the old zipper tape. Worked very well and was so easy. The old teeth were still under there but didn't show from the front and didn't interfere with the closing of the new zipper. That old zipper tape was strong enough to support the new zipper.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Thank you so much. I’d forgotten about how to do this. Amazing how much Nancy Z influenced our lives.

What a great group we have to come up with the resolution so very fast. Thank you likingquilting for asking the question and GingerK for the rapid reply.
    Have this bookmarked and Nancy Z was a great sewer to share her method. The ribbons on the inside give the new zipper a real make over.

Blog Entries
    This is great thread--have website bookmarked for next time grans need their jackets repaired.

My grandmother did it that way for my grandpa's hunting and work jackets and overalls. She was all about the better way of doing something. She was the queen of shortcuts that worked great.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

dms
    Funny you mentioned replacing a zipper as I just put a new one in my son's hunting jacket. It was so easy! I just cut the teeth off the old zipper and sewed the new one in right over the old one. It took about 15 minutes.