Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Aloha from Honolulu >
  • Aloha from Honolulu

• Aloha from Honolulu

Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Thx everyone for your very kind comments. I am now trying to decide on my next project. My aunt and I have plans to meet in Missoula, Montana, in June and spend a few days shopping for quilt fabric. I can hardly wait! I've already put together a shopping list!
    Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 PM

are fabrics in hawaii any different than they are here? as widely available? i
    maybe you can arrange a swap with someone on the mainland.
    Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Until I moved here, I made the majority of my own clothes. It is virtually impossible to find the same fabrics used by the local clothing manufacturers because they are copyrighted or are $25-$40 per yard. They want you to purchase ready-made island styles and keep their workers employed.

So I turned to quilting, but I have found only 3 small stores on Oahu that carry good quality 100% cotton quilt fabric. Variety is very limited and prices are sometimes double what can be found on the mainland. Besides shopping is a perfect excuse to make a trip!
    Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi from Vidalia GA. I am new to this to but just wanted to say welcome and your quilt is beautiful.
    Old 03-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
    Until I moved here, I made the majority of my own clothes. It is virtually impossible to find the same fabrics used by the local clothing manufacturers because they are copyrighted or are $25-$40 per yard. They want you to purchase ready-made island styles and keep their workers employed.

So I turned to quilting, but I have found only 3 small stores on Oahu that carry good quality 100% cotton quilt fabric. Variety is very limited and prices are sometimes double what can be found on the mainland. Besides shopping is a perfect excuse to make a trip!
    Have you gone to Kaimuki Dry Goods? There prices are comparable to the mainland, maybe $1 or $2 more. There is also Calico Cat on Koko Head Ave. They have some nice fabrics. Prices there are good also.
    Fabric Mart carries the same fabric that the "factories" that make the aloha shirts and such. They have quilting fabric that is top quality.
    There is also Quilt Hut that is in the same shopping area as Fabric Mart, they have nice fabric too...a bit more pricey tho. I won't shop there. The ladies that work there are rude, if you ask me.
    Kuni Island Fabrics is a nice little shop. She has some very pretty things in there.
    Keep your eyes open for a Shophop. I've done 2 of them so far and have won fabric both times. The first time I won about 20 yards total, which was wonderful. The 2d time, I won some fat quarters.
    Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Yes, I've been to all of them. Kaimuki Dry Goods is very good, but sometimes a little more expensive, but I go there often. All the classes I have taken have been through The Calico Cat. It's a small store, but the people are great, and is my favorite.

The Quilt Hut is on the opposite side of the island (I live in Hawaii Kai.) and I won't go there unless making a trip to the flea market at the stadium. They do not send out newsletters or answer any email. Most of their classes are during the week which makes it difficult for us working folks to attend and they are not helpful.

The last time I was in Kuni's (several months ago), they had very little inventory. They also hold classes but are when I cannot attend.

Much of the fabric I used for my son's quilt was from the Fabric Mart (3 locations on this island) has not held up well. Sometimes, I get frustrated, so I plan a trip! Thanks for the input!
    Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Ok, so there's not only a couple of us that feel the same about Quilt Hut lol
    Calico Cat is a nice little store. Very nice and helpful people there.
    I've never had problems with Fabric Mart's fabric. Maybe the "bad" fabric just jumps out to you. lol
    I didn't make it into Kuni Island in January when I was there. Meant to go over there, but just ran out of time. <sigh>
    There used to be a place on Moanaloa Rd that had fabric and you could also rent their longarm. It was in the shopping center across from the McDonalds near the library.
    Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Love your avatar Hula. Can you show it bigger?
    Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Welcome from snowy Alaska!
    Old 03-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Thank you. This is one of the first Hawaiian applique I completed. It's a 42"X42" wall hanging made as a Christmas gift to my sister. It's called "You Are In Our Hearts." It's completely hand stitched except for sewing on one side of the binding. I have another in this pattern nearly all appliqued in blues.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-28885.jpe   attachment-28886.jpe