Another newbie

Old 07-21-2007, 04:11 AM

Hi everyone

I have just found this forum and have enjoyed reading some of the postings and seeing the amazing quilts you have all made!

I am hoping to start quilting soon. I would never have even thought of taking it up but I passed a shop called Satin Moon in Victoria BC whilst on my honeymoon a couple of months ago and was amazed at the beautiful quilts hanging in the window. I dragged my husband in for a look around and was so taken with all the beautiful fabrics and finished pieces I saw and decided I would like to get started! :mrgreen:

I guess this question gets asked a lot............... is it advisable to have a sewing machine? I have a special birthday coming up in a couple of weeks and I wondered whether to ask for one from my husband.

Hope this question is not too dumb......! :?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Welcome to our wonderful friendly family. No question is a dumb question on here. No you do not have to have a sewing machine but it will sure speed up the process. I'm sure that when you do get started that you will have some questions just ask and I promise you will receive a lot of advise from some very experienced quilters. Don't forget to post pics of your work in progress and finished quilts we all love to see what others are doing. Congratulations on your marriage and happy early Birthday.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:59 AM

The Satin Moon is a lovely shop & glad you were able to visit our province. Jinny Beyer always pieced her quilts by hand not sure if she still does or not. Did you have any sewing instruction in school? Or would there be a store or guild near you that you might try out as many machines as possible before you invest in one? Welcome to the addicting world of quilting! Here's Jinny's site if you'd like to check it out. http://www.jinnybeyer.com/
Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 AM

Congratulations on your marriage!!!! Little does your new husband know how addictive quilting can be!! :P Pick up a few quilting magazines, easy ones...i like the McCalls Quick quilts. and be sure to start on an easy one!!
We are so glad to have you join us!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:45 AM

Congratulations on your Marriage...Happy Birthday, too.
I wouldn't even attempt a project that involves fabric without a machine! That is just my personal opinion, though.
I don't know that my Grandma owns a sewing machine, and she does wonderful work.
My hand-sewing skills are poor, so I'm sticking with the machine.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 AM

Yes congrats and happy birthday.................
you can get a decent simple sewing machine for 100 bucks. you don't need a lot of bells and whistles, after you get some experiance under your belt you can better decide what extras are worth the money for you, most machine have some features that some people will never use. If it can make a straight stitch it can piece a quilt top.
welcome to the family
kathy
Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 AM

Welcome! If you have a sewing machine you can borrow, that may be the way to start. I would never hand-piece an entire quilt, but have hand quilted many. A visit to your local fabric shop can get you networked with guilds and classes in the area. I've bought some gorgeous fabric over the years that originated in the UK, so you will have some great things to choose from. Most of all, have fun!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 AM

Welcome Clara! Twice bitten ,Eh? First by the Love bug and then the Quilt bug. Don't worry, though both cases are pretty much final.....you will survive and have many years of fun. Congratulations on both. Like the others I agree, a sewing machine is nice for putting those projects together quickly. Hand piecing is an option, still, if the "bite" was severe enough.....you will probably end up with a machine! Again Welcome :D
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 AM

Congrats on both wedding and birthday. Hand sewing is nice if you want to spends years doing it, But definately get a machine. Like Kathy said you don't need one with loads of extra at this time start with a good basic machine that doesn't cost and arm and leg. As you progress then start looking at the machines that do it all. Besides don't want to frighten that new Hubby right away ease him in to your new addiction. You can get a good basic starter machine at WM that will give you some zig zag and fancy stiches for under $200. The nice materials you find at quilt shop are great but as for me when I was starting I use d the lesser expensive stuff from WM. They still make nice quilts.

Please keep us posted of you progress and we love lots of pic on your way. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question even if you think its dumb. There are never any dumb questions and chances are someone else had the same question but was afraid to ask. Believe me you'll get plenty of asnwers and help here.

Welcome to our world of quilting
Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 AM

Welcome from New Zealand and congratulations :) I would definately get a machine. As the other ladies said, you don't need all the bells and whistles. I am still sewing on my Bernina Minimatic which I've had for 30 years, it has straight stitch, reverse, zig zag and a couple of fancy stitches which I never use, still sews like a dream.

My first completed quilt was all hand sewn but only because I didn't know any other way. My grandmother taught me the english piecing method so that's how it was done even the sashings :lol:

Make sure your first project is reasonably simple and not too big, cause there is nothing like the feeling of achievement you get from completeing your first project. Again welcome to the world of quilting, I'm sure you're going to have fun :)